Excursion to Lunenberg from Halifax

I am interested in an excursion to Lunenberg, but I want to do a small van or taxi trip, while my wife wants to do the ship coach trip. In the past I have always preferred to book independent local operators, but the Cruise Ship Taxi Tours looks to be far too expensive for two people @ $45 ph. Van Tours of NS charge is $50 ph, so unless others are already on this trip that also is out of the question for us. Bruce's Tours charge $240 all up, then state that to be the equivalent of $100pp for two people. Huh? Your Cab Van Tours charge $320.

I know, I know post on the Roll Call, but which option to recommend? I have found good reviews of the Cruise Ship Taxi Tours, and one good review on TA for Bruce's Tours. There are recent questions about Van Tours of NS, but no reviews have been found.

Can anyone advise further?

I have saved some notes on various tour operators from posts over the last couple years. Send me a private message on Trip Advisor (same name) with your email address and I'll send it to you. You may have seen much of this as you seem to have done your homework.

An economical option would be to rent a car. Many others have done this.

I am not a fan of big bus tours where you have no flexibility and spend much of your time waiting for others to shop, eat and use the facilities.

Thanks Maryann. Those are my thoughts on the coach trips as well although the HAL excursion is $84 pp in comparison with local providers. I don't expect to pay less for the trip, just for a more flexible and personal experience as I advise future cruisers when excursion questions are asked on the TA Alaska forums which I contribute to.

We rented a car and took the fast route to Lunenburg, then made our way slowly back using the Lighthouse Route along the coast to Mahone Bay and Peggy's Cove. Be sure to stop at the Blue Nose shipyard in Lunenburg. It was really one of the best days we had on the trip. Great scenic photo-ops all the way. We used a map that Maryann NS provided, and it was a very easy, scenic drive.

I am interested in an excursion to Lunenberg, but I want to do a small van or taxi trip, while my wife wants to do the ship coach trip. In the past I have always preferred to book independent local operators, but the Cruise Ship Taxi Tours looks to be far too expensive for two people @ $45 ph. Van Tours of NS charge is $50 ph, so unless others are already on this trip that also is out of the question for us. Bruce's Tours charge $240 all up, then state that to be the equivalent of $100pp for two people. Huh? Your Cab Van Tours charge $320.

I know, I know post on the Roll Call, but which option to recommend? I have found good reviews of the Cruise Ship Taxi Tours, and one good review on TA for Bruce's Tours. There are recent questions about Van Tours of NS, but no reviews have been found.

We (4 of us) took the Halifax, Peggy's Cove tour with Al (Cruise Ship Taxi Tours) back in October and had an absolutely wonderful time. Al knows so much about the area and is very entertaining. You can customize your tour to see what you want and I guaranty you will have a great time. Small tours like this are so much better that the large ship tours and the cost is very reasonable. Book with Al and you will get to see what you want and not what someone else thinks you will want to see.

G'day Lulu,

I am intent on NOT doing a coach tour as having the same feelings as yourself. I have now posted a message on the roll call for our cruise, but there are only a few cruisers signed up to that forum to date. :(

• 3 weeks later...

We are renting a car to drive. Beat the buses and have option of stopping anywhere the beauty is spectacular. Depending on time, may drive back by Peggy's Cove. We are on HAL leaving May 12.

Archived