Native Way Rum Point Menu/clarification

mitsugirly

Does anyone know if their "jerk".....is hot as in spicy hot? Someone at work said that jerk chicken and pork is REALLY hot and not to try it if I don't like spicy foods.

Also, do these meals provided during the excursion also come with a drink? (Like soda, I'm not talking about alcohol, I know you have to buy that).

i did this excursion last month, and i ordered the jerk pork. it is not even a little spicy. and yes, it came with a beverage. i ordered iced tea. here's a photo of my meal (with drink)...

DSC_6263.jpg

...and here's a link to a post i wrote reviewing the tour. it was a GREAT way to spend a day. one of the best days i've had...ever. enjoy!

http://www.suitcasescholar.com/2012/02/19/grand-cayman-native-ways-rays-reefs-and-rum-point-tour-review/

Thanks for your wonderful review. I can't wait to go.

I did have a question...you mentioned that you spent a lot of time just taking pictures at Stingray City and wished that you had at least a snorkel or mask. Don't they give you these on the boat? Every picture that I've seen of people at Stingray have the snorkel and mask. Just wondering.

I did have a question...you mentioned that you spent a lot of time just taking pictures at Stingray City and wished that you had at least a snorkel or mask. Don't they give you these on the boat? Every picture that I've seen of people at Stingray have the snorkel and mask. Just wondering.

They had it on our boat and were offered to use them at Stingray City. Seeing snorkeling is part of the excursion, I'd figure they would have them on the boat.

they did have them on the boat, but no one offered me one. and it was kind of a crowded boat--there was a giant group of maybe 20 people all together (and they didn't speak english either) so it was kind of...chaotic. it didn't bother me--i stayed on a different part of the boat the whole time, and when we were at destinations everyone kind of spread out. but i'm thinking that's what caused me to go without a mask or snorkel at stingray city.

oh--and it was REALLY windy and the seas were really rough, so it would have been challenging to use one anyway. as it was, i gave up on snorkeling after maybe 20 minutes--i kept inhaling sea water because of the waves.

sadly, we had pretty terrible weather on that cruise.

• 2 weeks later...
i did this excursion last month, and i ordered the jerk pork. it is not even a little spicy. and yes, it came with a beverage. i ordered iced tea. here's a photo of my meal (with drink)...

DSC_6263.jpg

...and here's a link to a post i wrote reviewing the tour. it was a GREAT way to spend a day. one of the best days i've had...ever. enjoy!

http://www.suitcasescholar.com/2012/02/19/grand-cayman-native-ways-rays-reefs-and-rum-point-tour-review/

How did you get that wide aperture shot? i doubt you would have brought a DSLR to the excursion, right?

We went last week. A very disappointing day. I will have my review later when I can get everything together. It was one thing after another. :( I really wanted to go to Rum Point. :cool:

Please review asap! We are planning to do this next week! Should we reconsider?

Please review asap! We are planning to do this next week! Should we reconsider?

No. I can't actually review the company because a lot of stuff happened and I "think" that Nativeway stuck us on a different excursion with a different company because there were only NCL passengers on the excursion that had booked with the cruise ship. We did not get to do Rum Point either and ended up on a different tour. Still trying to figure out who's fault it was... :(

no. I can't actually review the company because a lot of stuff happened and i "think" that nativeway stuck us on a different excursion with a different company because there were only ncl passengers on the excursion that had booked with the cruise ship. We did not get to do rum point either and ended up on a different tour. Still trying to figure out who's fault it was... :(

uh oh!!!!!!:(

No. I can't actually review the company because a lot of stuff happened and I "think" that Nativeway stuck us on a different excursion with a different company because there were only NCL passengers on the excursion that had booked with the cruise ship. We did not get to do Rum Point either and ended up on a different tour. Still trying to figure out who's fault it was... :(

oh no..thats terrible :(

I'm looking into the excursion for my family and your review can sway me to a different one. Please get back and let us know what happened

If you booked your excursion thru NCL, then you wouldn't be on Nativeway. The cruise ship excursions usually have there own tour operator, not one that is open to the general public. Did you book thru NCL, or on your own, directly with Nativeway as everyone else here has done?

If you booked your excursion thru NCL, then you wouldn't be on Nativeway. The cruise ship excursions usually have there own tour operator, not one that is open to the general public. Did you book thru NCL, or on your own, directly with Nativeway as everyone else here has done?

We did not book with NCL. We always book our own excursions prior to going. We booked with Nativeway. We were put on a boat with all NCL booked passengers.

Long story as short as I can at the moment...booked with Nativeway for the rays, snorkeling, rum point.

The day we got there, we were told to meet at the spot with the sign that said Nativeways by 9:15. We were there. Ask several other tour operators if we were in the right spot, they said yes that the lady had walked over to somewhere else and would be right back. When she returned at 9:30 she told us we were 1 hour late and that Cayman was an hour ahead of ship time. The ship informed us on every other time if there was a time difference, they had not mentioned this anywhere in the dailies or during the announcements.

The lady told us that we couldn't do the Rum Point but she would get us to the rays and snorkeling.

We were told to go in these cabs (2 buses available with everyone else loading). They all split up and we had no idea where they had went to. We stopped to ask. There was 5 of us. We were told we would have to go in separate vehicles after us telling them we were all together. There wasn't hardly room for us even being split up.

Got on a boat to head out to snorkeling with all the NCL people. We were told to get on the front on the boat along with a few other people. Mind you...we have a 3 YEAR OLD with us!!! If was very difficult to hold on to her with the boat rocking and get up front. The front of the boat was coated with bumpy stuff that actually hurt when sitting on it and was kinda sharp (especially if you had your legs crossed indian style). Then after we left were told we WOULD get soaked. Um, not exactly my idea of fun trying to hold on and keeping our little one from getting drenched like we were! :mad:

WORSE PART....when we got to the stingrays...it was SO wavy and the guides just jumped off the boat and started looking for the rays. The boat was rocking SO BAD...we wasn't even sure if we could get down to the lower deck with the 3 year old. It was VERY dangerous. I have to admit, it was hard for me to do it alone and it took both of us to hold her and ourselves. NOT very professional to not take care of your customers first and their safety!!!

The excursion itself I felt very rushed, they kept skipping us on things after telling them time after time that we hadn't had a turn. We only had 1 ray for this huge group.

On the way back, they had caught some conch and was taking them out of the shells and letting people taste them. I had mentioned something about getting a shell to him before we had took off because my little one was begging for one. He cleaned them up and started handing them out to the OTHER children first, then several adults (which one let my daughter hold hers, then took it away at the end of course, which broke her heart). Needless to say, I ended up with a crying child because she didn't get one. :mad:

All in all, it was a bad experience. I was almost positive that this was going to be our favorite port/day on the cruise. It was actually our worse (and if you have ever read any of my reports/reviews, I'm a very positive person and make the best out of every situation possible). This just didn't cut it.

I also have to mention that the taxi driver TO the boat and FROM the boat back BOTH had the same time as what my watch said (and I was told that I was 1 hour late). Not sure why they would have the same time as me. None of them on the islands change their clocks????

There were other things that day as well...but this is the just of the story.

Also, I just went to their site...

It list all their employees and all 3 of their boats they use for the excursion. These were not the boats we were on and not the employees we had. :cool:

Mitsugirly...sorry you had a bad experience. I'm concerned about the time differences at the ports and missing the excursions. I'm considering booking through Carnival for that reason even though they are more money and usually have more people.

Thanks for the review. I really like this excursion and it is first on my list for Rum Point but I still have time to sort it all out.

Really sorry to hear that! Your experience and mine were obviously exact opposite.

Our crew (Andrew & Andrew) are not listed on their site as well. We were on "My Way" for the boat.

Have you had any communication with Sharon after getting back? She drove us from the marina back to the ship and we got the feeling she took great pride in her company and the people who book through them.

All in all, it was a bad experience. I was almost positive that this was going to be our favorite port/day on the cruise. It was actually our worse (and if you have ever read any of my reports/reviews, I'm a very positive person and make the best out of every situation possible). This just didn't cut it.

Mitsugirly, I am so sorry your day didn't work out! I was waiting for your review because we sailed the Conquest the following week and also booked Nativeways. I know you put so much research into this excursion and I benefited from your posts and the responses!

This was my first time with Nativeways, second time to the Stingray sandbar. I also have to say that Nativeways fell short of the mark and I am going to email Sharon some constructive comments. I'll be back later to post my experience... a little rushed for time right now!

BTW Mitsugirl, I can't remember ~ which ship were you on?

~Denise

Mitsugirly, I am so sorry your day didn't work out! I was waiting for your review because we sailed the Conquest the following week and also booked Nativeways. I know you put so much research into this excursion and I benefited from your posts and the responses!

This was my first time with Nativeways, second time to the Stingray sandbar. I also have to say that Nativeways fell short of the mark and I am going to email Sharon some constructive comments. I'll be back later to post my experience... a little rushed for time right now!

~Denise

Wow...2 reviews not good :eek:. Nativeway is my #1 choice so far for my November cruise and now I'm definately going to reconsider. I was thinking about a Catamaran sail with someone on my roll call but they don't go to Rum Point.

Sundiego, can't wait to hear your review and how Sharon took to your constructive comments.

~Denise

We were on the Pearl. Just wondering, was there a time difference for you while you were on the island? Did you find that they were an hour ahead of the ship time? I just found it odd that nothing was said on the ship and that every taxi had the same time as my watch (which was ship time). Just weird. I don't know what to think. I mean if it was my fault, then so be it, it would be my fault we messed up. But, I just don't understand why it wasn't mentioned anywhere. :confused:

We were on the Pearl. Just wondering, was there a time difference for you while you were on the island? Did you find that they were an hour ahead of the ship time? I just found it odd that nothing was said on the ship and that every taxi had the same time as my watch (which was ship time). Just weird. I don't know what to think. I mean if it was my fault, then so be it, it would be my fault we messed up. But, I just don't understand why it wasn't mentioned anywhere. :confused:

I know there is a website where you can go and see what time it is in one place compared to another. Maybe that can give you an answer.

http://www.worldtimeserver.com/convert_time_in_KY.aspx

I'm doing the same excursion in 2 weeks. After reading your post I tried finding a time zone converter online and the above link is what I found. I tried doing it for March 22nd (I don't know when you were in Grand Cayman) and according to the website they were 1 hour behind Florida time (not sure where you embarked) . I don't know how accurate it is but I'm hoping I don't have the same problem. In her confirmation email she did emphasize the meet time was central time (I'm leaving from New Orleans). I guess I better do some more research just in case.

Before I write my review, I just want to clarify the timing...

Ship's time is ONE HOUR EARLIER than Grand Cayman time.

My first email from Sharon said:

The tour departs the pier at 9:30 AM Eastern Daylight Saving Time (this is ship time). The tour completes at around 2:45 PM Eastern Daylight Saving Time. We ask that you check in no later than 9:15 AM Eastern Daylight Saving Time (this is ship time).

I emailed Sharon back and told her I was concerned about the 2:45 pm return time because our ship was in port 7-4pm and our last tender was at 3pm. So 2:45 would be cutting it close.

Sharon responded:

Sorry. I should have sent this in your ship’s time (Central Daylight Saving Time). The tour ends at 1:45 PM Central Daylight Saving Time. The last tender is at 3 PM. People traveling on Conquest successfully take this tour all the time. I will send you a corrected confirmation.

Best Regards,

Sharon Ebanks

So... here is my review. I realize it will sound a bit nit-picking. But we have been to Grand Cayman before. And our previous tour operator set the bar pretty high (I will sift through old emails, etc., trying to find the name of that tour operator... we were a family of 8 people and did stingrays, Hell & Turtle Farm, we were the only people on the boat and had an awesome time!!).

I was really excited about this tour because we had grandkids with us (13 & 10) and both couldn't wait to see the stingrays, etc.

First problem with Nativeways... I had exchanged a few emails with Sharon and she confirmed we were to MEET at 8:15 am and LEAVE at 8:30 for our boat. So we dragged everyone out of bed at the crack of dawn. We were on the dock by 8:00. Found Eldon and he directed us to a waiting area... where we waited and waited and waited and waited. Nativeways booked people from THREE DIFFERENT SHIPS!!! This is a tender port people! We waited 45 minutes for people who did not show. Maybe they were similar to Mitsugirl's group and didn't know the time because Sharon's first email wasn't clear. Or maybe they were just no-shows. Who knows? But we made a special effort to meet at the pier and it was annoying standing around for an hour for people who didn't show.

Okay, next up... we cram way too many people into a van and head off to our little boat. Get into the boat and am a little disappointed because there's a lot of people, almost 30 (?)... soooo unlike our last stingray experience. But THEN, another van shows up. The latecomers made it!! GRRRRR. Seriously? Cramming about 10 more people onto our boat.

So now we are running about an hour late. I specifically booked THIS tour because of the early time format. I'd been to stingray city before. It gets crowded with ship excursions. We get to stingray city. It is CROWDED. We have to wait for a "PARKING SPACE". Seriously. We circle waiting for "our turn" breathing fumes. Not happy.

Finally, get a "parking spot". Kids get in water and play with stingrays. They don't know the difference between an excellent excursion and a mob scene so no problem. Except the toilet on the boat backed up. Yep... no toilet.

Our previous stingray excursion... our two boat dudes did the conch shell dive and brought up awesome shells. This dive... uhm, no. Our son-in-law (who is a diver) did bring up some shells to show the kids but he felt obligated to throw them back in the water.

While on the boat, the Nativeways guys took our Rum Point lunch order and called ahead so the food would be waiting for us. Great idea! If you like lukewarm food and iced tea with melted ice.

Okay, on to snorkeling. Not the fault of Nativeways, but we couldn't go to the reef because the waters were rockin-n-rollin so we went someplace else. A lot of people didn't stay in the water to snorkel very long because of the water conditions. Again, Nativeways did the best they could so can't really blame them. But NO TOILET on the boat so the day is getting longer...

Lastly, RUM POINT. It was a mob scene. I was so disappointed. By the time we got there, so many people had beat us "to the punch". The lines at the bar were ridiculous. ONE BARTENDER making foo-foo drinks and filling simple beer orders. $7.00 beer... cheaper to drink on the ship. I'm not really complaining about the price... it's Cayman after all. But the line pi**ed me off after such a long day of "hurry up and wait".

We are "seasoned cruisers" and I consider this a somewhat pricey excursion for a family of six. What really started the downward spiral was Nativeways booking cruisers from THREE DIFFERENT SHIPS. It created a lot of confusion and threw the timeline off for us (the early ship). By the time we got back to port, our tender line was wrapped around the shopping center. It sucked.

Oh wait, just remembered the "cherry on top"... we get off the boat and wait for the van to take us back to the port. It is raining. NO VAN!! Finally it shows, but is not big enough to accommodate everyone. So the remaining people continue to stand in the rain waiting for the second shuttle. So unprofessional. Just sayin.

I can see why some cruisers LOVE this excursion. I usually don't post bad reviews because inevitably, posters come along and give the "any day on a cruise is a good day" spiel... but to compare this with other excursions we have taken, we just felt a little ripped off.

~Denise (very long winded lol)

One other thing I want to add... this might be a positive or negative depending on your point of view...

The Nativeways dudes on the boat took pictures of each family ~ posed pics with the stingrays either kissing or massaging, etc. Then they showed you the collection of pics at Rum Point and/or on the boat and the DVD cost $30. That felt a little opportunistic to me, but other families might appreciate that "service".

I hesitate to add one more negative... I know I sound like a whiner. But we also had a $$$ issue with this excursion. I had booked 4 adults and 2 children (ages 10 and 13). I later realized that the 13 y/o probably would be charged the adult rate which was fine. But we were charged for 6 adults on the boat. It took me a few minutes to do the math in my head and realize we were over-charged and the boat operator did give me my small refund after I showed him a copy of the email between me and Sharon. His invoice did not reflect the younger peeps. Also, the people sitting next to us on the boat got a discount and I asked the boat operator how they got the discount (I thought maybe senior citizen or something) and he said they booked 14 or more people. They had 6! Sigh. Just a weird experience all the way around.

Archived