Native Way Rum Point Menu/clarification

mitsugirly

Sundiego. Thank you for your experience. I wanted Nativeway because of Rum Point and the extra stop but reading what you said about it being crowded and the lines, I'm thinking I'm leaning towards the catamaran sail now. Its a little bit cheaper and only 2 stops but I think it may be better and cheaper for my family of 6 also.

Someone on my rollcall is doing it and has done it before. He raves about it and the tour operator. Boy, this is getting hard :)

http://www.worldtimeserver.com/convert_time_in_KY.aspx

I'm doing the same excursion in 2 weeks. After reading your post I tried finding a time zone converter online and the above link is what I found. I tried doing it for March 22nd (I don't know when you were in Grand Cayman) and according to the website they were 1 hour behind Florida time (not sure where you embarked) . I don't know how accurate it is but I'm hoping I don't have the same problem. In her confirmation email she did emphasize the meet time was central time (I'm leaving from New Orleans). I guess I better do some more research just in case.

We left out of Miami. Yes, we were there on the 22nd.

Before I write my review, I just want to clarify the timing...

Ship's time is ONE HOUR EARLIER than Grand Cayman time.

My first email from Sharon said:

The tour departs the pier at 9:30 AM Eastern Daylight Saving Time (this is ship time). The tour completes at around 2:45 PM Eastern Daylight Saving Time. We ask that you check in no later than 9:15 AM Eastern Daylight Saving Time (this is ship time).

We got the same email about meeting at 9:15, which is when we were there.

The weird thing is that the other tours operators had said she just stepped away for a moment and would be right back. They made it sound like she was "gathering" up the other people (or we almost felt like she had taken them to a cab or something). We waited around for about 1/2 hour, which would have put us late at that point if they were leaving at 9:30am because it was now around 9:45ish or later.

:(

One other thing I want to add... this might be a positive or negative depending on your point of view...

The Nativeways dudes on the boat took pictures of each family ~ posed pics with the stingrays either kissing or massaging, etc. Then they showed you the collection of pics at Rum Point and/or on the boat and the DVD cost $30. That felt a little opportunistic to me, but other families might appreciate that "service".

There wasn't anyone on our boat taking pictures, or taking a picture for you with your camera either. It was almost like it was a 1 man show. He was doing everything. I don't even know where the other guy went to during the sting rays. He got off the boat and I don't remember seeing him again.

But of course, like I said, all the people with us were on the ship excursion. Both the people on the boat said so and also the people doing the tour said they were all a ship excursion. So I do know for a fact that that's who we were with. They were on the

Stingrays & Reef Snorkel

Adults from Children from Approximate Duration

$69* $49* 3½ hours

I guess the only thing I can't complain about was that we only paid $40 for each adult and we didn't pay for our 3 year old. So we got what the people on the ship got for a cheaper price. Of course that is the way it is with just about any tour ship vs do it yourself.

Another thing I noticed is that on the ship information, it says you have to be at least 8 years old for this tour. :cool: Maybe you need to be 8 years old because their tour operators that they have contracted with don't give a hoot about helping small children out off or on the boat. You are pretty much left to do everything yourself. I still have a huge problem with the safety issue of this entire trip on the boat. :mad:

Just another thought...

I know I can't say that the excursion itself reflects how I would have been treated if I was actually ON a Nativeway tour. However, if Nativeway wants to keep their reputation as good, they should maybe check out the other tour companies to see how things are before putting one of "their" customers with them because it will still reflect our "customer service" and experience we had as a whole with Nativeway.

Mitsugirly... it is such a shame that your excursion got muddled because of the ship's time issue. This is a common question that all cruisers have at EVERY port, not just the Caymans. I think Sharon and Eldon run a professional operation so I am surprised that both of us had an issue with the email mixing up the times.

And in spite of my review, I do believe that many people who take this excursion have an awesome time. So I am not discouraging anyone from booking it. It's just that the 3 stops is a lot to cram in a short time frame so when things go off schedule, like they did with us, it takes a lot of the enjoyment out of it.

~Denise

Archived