Pre-Cruise Land Tour

cruisemeiser

Has anyone here taken the land tour offered by the cruise lines before their cruise? Carnival quoted about $1000 per person for 3 nights. It seems a little high to me so I wondered if these pre-cruise tours are worth it. This would be our first trip to Alaska. I thought about renting a car and doing some things on our own too. Any information you have on the tour or doing things on our own would be appreciated.

Absolutely you can do much better going on your own. My opinion only, but group point to point travel in Alaska is way lacking. Misses everything in between and a fixed schedule doesn't even consider interests. But you need more than 3 days, with 5 my recommended min. and at least a week if you want to consider both Denali Park and Seward. This is a very important point- and many people grossly underestimate time and distances required. Don't make the mistake of too short of a timeframe and having all your trip in transit. Request each area's visitor guides. I give a big edge to Seward over Whittier. just makes better use of time for the excellent Seward activites, consider 2 days there. Then a couple days in Anchorage- wonderful city full of varied activite, 2 nights at Denali Park with the SHUTTLE to at least Fish Creek, and an overnight in Talkeetna. Simple- only one road, nice B&B's to consider. Look at http://www.toursaver.com and see if it would be worth it? There is also a big secondary market for used books.

Thanks for confirming what I already suspected. You are right, I also don't like being prodded like cattle on a bus. And individual interests are not taken into consideration. BudgetQueen - thanks for the link. I will check out toursaver and I think you are right about needed more than 3 days. After all, I don't know when I will make it back to Alaska so why not take a few more days? Well, it looks like I have more research to do in order to figure out what we should do in Alaska. These boards are wonderful. Thanks again for your help!

Did a 7 day landtour with Princess -- yes it was a bit pricey but well worth it for our family---- it included a few extra but not all meals--and those can add up---- we were not hearded like cattle and it was kind of nice to meet fellow passengers before the crusie----that was our first visit to Alaska-- now that we have been there a few times and are going back--- If I were to do a landtrip I would allow more time----and would probabley do more ?

Enjoy whatever you choose

Cheers

April

Archived