Help! Can I get a real life example of what the difference

stipmom

would mean for a trip delay that pays after 8 hours vs one that pays at 6 hrs. I am confused about the meaning of Travel Delay, Trip Interruption and Missed connection. Cruiseco said Global Alert Preferred has a good missed connection benefit but they are the ones with the Travel Delay after 8 hours.Travel Insured worldwide Protector is 6 hours for the delay but does not pay as much for missed connection.

I am mostly concerned about getting to the ship as we are coming in the same day we sail.

would mean for a trip delay that pays after 8 hours vs one that pays at 6 hrs. I am confused about the meaning of Travel Delay, Trip Interruption and Missed connection. Cruiseco said Global Alert Preferred has a good missed connection benefit but they are the ones with the Travel Delay after 8 hours.Travel Insured worldwide Protector is 6 hours for the delay but does not pay as much for missed connection.

I am mostly concerned about getting to the ship as we are coming in the same day we sail.

I can't remember recommending the Global Alert plan, perhaps it was the TravelSafe Classic plan? Of course, I can't remember what I had for breakfast this morning.

If you're most concerned about possibly missing the ship's departure because of a flight delay I think you should focus most closely on the Missed Connection benefit as that's the one that will cover the really expensive losses.

That TravelSafe plan would pay up to $2500 per person for the cost of catching up with the ship and also reimburse you for the value of any missed days of the cruise that you're forfeiting.

It only requires a three hour delay.

If covers ANY delay of the airline -- doesn't matter if it's the airline's fault or weather, etc.

What the Missed Connection benefit doesn't cover is things like meals, hotels, local transportation (taxis, etc), phone calls and the like. That's where the Trip Delay coverage comes into effect. This benefit pays for all of that (up to $50/per person, per day) while you're waiting around to actually join the ship. The difference is that it requires a delay time of 6 hours instead of the 3 hour delay for the Missed Connection coverage. But if you miss the ship your delay will certainly be more than 6 hours until you're back on board.

So if you miss the ship you'll probably end up filing two separate claims:

1) Up to $2500 per person under the Missed Connection benefit for the airfare needed to re-join the cruise and the value of the missed day(s) of the cruise

2) Up to $750 per person (max $150/pp/day) for meals, hotels, etc

Good information...I am looking for the same reasons....

My problem is that not all the websites even mention missed connection its probably buried somewhere in the legal jargon of each policy.

Also, if we miss our connection....do we have the right to just say the heck with it? Do we HAVE to find a flight, fly to the ship wherever it is, etc etc? Or will we be covered if we (very sadly mind you) turn around and say its too much to try and catch up?

My problem is that not all the websites even mention missed connection its probably buried somewhere in the legal jargon of each policy.

Also, if we miss our connection....do we have the right to just say the heck with it? Do we HAVE to find a flight, fly to the ship wherever it is, etc etc? Or will we be covered if we (very sadly mind you) turn around and say its too much to try and catch up?

You can only claim Trip Cancellation benefits for certain delays, and only for a minimum number of missed days. For instance, TravelGuard will let you cancel if the delay is due to a Mechanical, and you'll miss more than half your trip.

Nobody is going to pay for you to cancel a whole 10-day cruise because you missed one day. If you can catch up in a reasonable amount of time, you are expected to.

#1 not all plans have a separate "missed connection" benefit. Those coverages could be spread among the trip delay and trip interruption coverages.

#2 as already noted, you probably won't be able to cancel and be covered because you missed the first day of your cruise. The normal minimum delay that will turn into a cancellation is 50% of the scheduled trip length. Some state this in the plan documents, with others you kind of have to ask. For example, this is from TravelSafe's covered reasons for trip cancellation:

"u. a cancellation of Your Trip if Your arrival on the Trip is delayed and causes You to lose 50% or more of the scheduled Trip duration due to the reasons covered under the Missed Connection Benefit."

So if weather causes a delay that makes you miss the first two nights of your three night cruise -- covered for cancellation or covered if you decide to catch up with the cruise. Same delay but on a seven night cruise -- not covered if you decide to turn around and go home. But covered for your losses and added expenses for re-joining the cruise.

Archived