Price of Gas?

rhcpchika1

Not sure were rjjjcj purchased his or her petrol, but maybe that $7.40 was for marine fuel or based on currency conversion not taking into account the need to convert from the larger Imperial used on Cayman?

The current price is closer to $6.00 US per US gallon, but I'm sure $7.40 may not be too far away...:eek:

Since you live in GC, maybe you can help me.

My plan for GC was to rent a jeep from Avis and drive around the island geocaching.

I am trying to determine how much gas I am going to use and if this is a good plan or not. (The rental is 100 dollars)

Grand Cayman is 22 miles by 8 miles, so I'd guesstimate you might drive a total of 60 miles in day, max. You may want to consider a more fuel efficient car than a Jeep, though. There are very few places a Jeep is required for access, even the crappy roads in Barkers National Park can be navigated in a sub-compact.

Since you live in GC, maybe you can help me.

My plan for GC was to rent a jeep from Avis and drive around the island geocaching.

I am trying to determine how much gas I am going to use and if this is a good plan or not. (The rental is 100 dollars)

We are planning to rent a car and geocache as well! Seems a great way to explore the island with the kids!

Avis only had a couple of options.....

There's no way for us to squeeze my family into a little car ;)

I have me, DH, 8 yr old DD, 7 yr old DS, and the 2 yr old baby (who will be in a car seat).

I will look at Avis to make sure though!

Thanks for the input! It makes me feel a lot better. Granted we will be starting and stopping a lot, but I can guess no more then maybe 100 miles driven total for the day; so about 5-6 gallons of gas: $40. Not bad!

KOKO: When is your cruise?

The same time as mine! I just looked in your signature.

What day are you in GC??

Ha! Ha! I was wondering the same thing and googled your itinerary. I thought how cool would it be to run into another family while caching! :D I think you are there early in the week and we are there late in our week, Thursday April 5. If it wasn't so close together, I'd ask to compare notes, but I won't be in the internet cafe at all during the cruise and certainly not spending time here on CC. Hope you guys have a good geocaching adventure! Save some trinkets for us!

Please feel free to send me an email at m_kokonut at hotmail dot com and we can compare notes about the gameplan.

Is your geocaching user name the same as here on CC? It would be funny for me to make note of how many times I see your log in the cache finds just before our log entry! :)

To make the price meaningful to most readers:

Price in US$ per US gallon = 1.04 x Price in CI$ per Imperial gallon

The standard in Cayman is for gas stations to post the full service price on the sign by the roadside. Self service price will be several cents less per gallon.

• 3 weeks later...

We are back from our cruise and in Cayman this past Thursday. We did the jeep rental through Avis and it was fine. The only inconvenience was factoring in enough time to deal with the tendering, the Avis shuttle and paperwork which did seriously cut into our time on the island. It wasn't horrible, it just ate up valuable time. We only explored the East side of the island due to this miscalculation. We have been to the West side attractions many years ago. Would have loved to have seen it again, but too risky with the traffic on that side. It all worked out though, very beautiful drive and no regrets.

Upon return, we filled up and used just under 2 gallons and approximately $14 US total. Again, this was just up to Rum Point and back. It would be a little bit more if you manage to squeeze in the entire island on your port day.

Thanks to everyone for your valuable information here which made for a great day!

BTW- did not nearly get in as many geocaches as we'd have liked, but it did make the drive that much more enjoyable! :D

Archived