No cabin assignment - can I take luggage on board myself

Kenosha Cruiser

The bottom line is, that if it doesn't fit, they won't allow it. So then you'll have to check it. Good luck. I don't understand why you are hesitant in the first place.

Now that I know for sure that the porters will have my cabin assignment if I don't when arriving for embarkation, I will definitely use the porter to handle my luggage. I didn't realize the porters had that information at first. So I thank everyone for answering my question about carrying on luggage. We still carry on one smaller suitcase with our travel documents,

medicines, one change of clothes, etc to be on the safe side. Again, thanks cruise critic members for straightning me out.

Now that I know for sure that the porters will have my cabin assignment if I don't when arriving for embarkation, I will definitely use the porter to handle my luggage. I didn't realize the porters had that information at first. So I thank everyone for answering my question about carrying on luggage. We still carry on one smaller suitcase with our travel documents,

medicines, one change of clothes, etc to be on the safe side. Again, thanks cruise critic members for straightning me out.

You're still a babe in the woods. :D Enjoy your cruise and keep reading CC. The amount of information here is mind boggling.

It never dawned on us to roll our own bags onboard until several years ago when we approached the terminal in Fort Lauderdale and the terminal staff directed us to park our bags "over there". I started over,and noticed that the bags "over there" had the color coded tags for disembarking passengers. We made a U-turn, rolled our bags right on into the terminal, plopped them up on the conveyor, rolled them onto the ship and right on up to our room. We were unpacked by 2:00!

This is the kind of thing that worries me.

I didn't know that we had the option to bring our luggage on, but now that I do know, we will probably do this. I seem to have particularly bad luck with luggage getting lost. I have started 5 vacations (not cruises) without my luggage. It always manages to find me after a day or two, but it isn't fun in the meantime. I hate to give up my luggage to someone else if it isn't absolutely necessary.

Because I travel with a Service Dog I use a "granny cart" for all her stuff. I can't risk not having her doggie dishes/food/play toys/etc.,etc. So, years ago, I just found it easier to have all her necessaties conveniently with me in case there's a luggage problem. The granny cart was my Vet's idea and it's absolutely wonderful. I fill it up with all her goodies and even some of my own. It gets wheeled through the metal detector and then I load it again at the end of the scanner.

It does take-up the room of a person, in the elevator, but we board early/I'm Platinum and the boarding process goes so quickly with the cart and I have everything I need the moment we enter the cabin. It folds-up and fits under the bed or in a closet. It also makes disembarkation so much easier.

This is the kind of thing that worries me.

I didn't know that we had the option to bring our luggage on, but now that I do know, we will probably do this. I seem to have particularly bad luck with luggage getting lost. I have started 5 vacations (not cruises) without my luggage. It always manages to find me after a day or two, but it isn't fun in the meantime. I hate to give up my luggage to someone else if it isn't absolutely necessary.

I'm in the habit of rolling my own bag on nowadays. I like unpacking when I get to the cabin, and then being free the rest of the afternoon/evening.

I tend to avoid being a "sheep" and doing something just because everyone else is. Ever notice how when there may be a bank of 6 to 8 closed doors to get in someplace, one door will open and everyone lines up to go in that one? I'll walk over and try another door, which is most often also unlocked.

Just remember, there is no MOP award on Princess..........Most Obedient Passenger;)

Archived