How many zipline operators are there here?

509ers

So far I see Razor, WalkThePlank, Zipline Samana, Tour Samana with Terry, Bavaro Tours ?? Are they all different?

I think there are two courses but I am not sure.

Tour Samana with Terry is a tour company offering lots of different tours. Terry offers a tour that goes to Walk the Plank Zipline which is not owned by Terry. The course owner/designer is Bart. I believe this same course is called Samana Zipline Tour when you look for it on Tripadvisor. This course is AWESOME. We went in December 2011 and had a fantastic time. I can't say enough great things about it. Definitely one of the highlights of our trip. Having been on one other zipline I would like to specifically say this one was very scenic, has very high and very long lines, and had a really great braking system which keeps you from having to do anything special to stop yourself.

While we were on the tour there was some discussion about how another course had been recently opened by someone else and the other course is the one that the cruise lines made a deal with for their excursions. I cannot vouch for what that course is like. I can only tell you that Walk the Plank was terrific and I would highly recommend both Walk the Plank and Tour Samana with Terry.

Erica

Vermont, USA

• 4 weeks later...

There are 2 Zip Lines in Samana:

#1 Walk the Plank Zip Line of Samana (Samana Zipline Tour as listed on Trip Advisor)

This Zip Line is located 7 km from the tender dock on the east side of town. With 13 stations and 12 cable runs. The first one is 1,000 feet long and 350 feet high. This Zip Line has 2 cables, you wear 2 harnesses, you are connected by 2 tie lines and 2 mountain climbers carabiners to 2 pulleys made by Petzel the industry leader in Zip Line technology and an integrated brake system so you don't have to do anything but sit back and enjoy the scenery. The fact that you don't have to stop yourself means that you sit well below the cables and they are nowhere near your head. This also allows you to turn upside down on the runs, but only if you choose to. Scenery on this Zip Line includes river valley, 2 waterfalls and beautiful lush jungle below. The last zip actually ends 1 min away from a beautiful waterfall that is awesome for swimming. Then a short 10 min drive out to a gorgeous secluded beach after that. At this time only a private tour operator can take you to this zip line which in my humble opinion is the feature of all. Everyone knows the the Cruise Lines always demand exclusivity when they take people to a zip line. There are a few tour operators who can take you to Walk the Plank Zip Line in Samana. If you GOOGLE search "TOUR SAMANA" you'll find them. This Zip Line is considered to be the safest you can ride outside of the US and Canada. (All info obtained first hand on the Walk the Plank Zip Line)

#2 Zip Lines Adventures Samana (which isn't listed on Trip Advisor for some reason)

This Zip Line is located 7 km west of Samana tender dock. With 20 stations and 10 cable runs. The longest one claims to be 1,475 feet long but doesn't list the height of their cables. It's scenery includes the bay of Samana and the surrounding countryside. On this zip line you wear a big leather glove and learn how to bring yourself to a stop at the end of each run. This also means that the cable is very close to your head so that you can grab it to stop. This is the zip that you go to when you sign up for the cruise ship's zip tour. (All information for this zip line obtained from a sales flier distributed by Zip Lines Adventures Samana)

In review, both look awesome and Samana is a fantastic port if you have a plan for the day ahead of arriving in Samana.

• 3 weeks later...

If you are going to the La Romana Port, from what I can tell there are 2 options outside of the carnival booked zip lines.

1) is bavarorunners. I asked several questions that I have added below, there answer's in RED:

1. How far is the safari drive to the zipline location from the cruise terminal in La Romana? About 1 and a half hour drive

2. Can non-zipliners come along for the ride? Yes they can come along paying a kids price (60 USD before discount)

3. Is there something else there for non-zipliners to do? Beach? Pool? My wife will have our 3 year old son, and I want to figure out what they can do. Since the zip lines is located in a mountain, there is no beach or pool, although, there is little trails leading to the river as well as a mini zoo. But, remember that it is the nature, some parts of the paths can be a little steep and rocky. The site is beautiful, and the scenery is gorgeous, they could also meet you at the mango tree where different lines are departing or arriving.

4. I think I see that the cost is $80 USD. Right? The regular cost is 89 USD, and comes to 80 USD with the 10% discount when booking through our web site.

2) The other is Wild Ranch Canopy Adventures. Their Email response is here:

· How far is the zip lines from port? 25 min from port

· Can non zipliners come along for the ride? yes. the park enterence is 10US, which includes soft drink, snack, and kayaks in Chaovn River.

· Is there something for non-zip liners to do while everyone else is zipping? Yes Kayaks

· What is the cost for adults? US55

· What is the cost for children ages 7 and 10? up to 12y US35

The Wild Canopy one seems to be cheaper because it looks like there is only 7 lines. But being that it is much closer to port I might go with it. They also said that there is an option to add "Private transportation from the port and back and 1h La Romana Shopping Tour US90 up to 10pax We need a 5 days in advance reservation regards"

Hope my research helps!

Archived