Live From the Carnival Magic - BC5

Kokomo_Man

Live From the Carnival Magic

Bloggers Cruise 5

Back to the Frozen Tundra

Hi all… I’m back to the “Frozen Tundra”. Ok… it’s not the frozen tundra, but it was 57 degrees today and compared to the Caribbean it feels like the frozen tundra. I wanted to take a few minutes to wrap up the cruise.

The last night of the cruise I should have gone to bed early. I knew that on Sunday I had a 14 hour drive. But Noooooooo… I couldn’t resist the piano bar. Ron Pass was in exceptional form… he’s always in exceptional form, but late into the evening/early morning he pulled out all the stops. There was a lot of the usual Ron Pass “schtick”… SOCIAL… but he also reached down into his large bag of talent and pulled out some ballads. As he closed, there weren’t a lot of dry eyes in the place. So instead of being in bed early, I was there for the last song of BC5. Thank you Ron.

The next morning I drug my butt out of bed early. Even before getting off the ship I started going through “cruise withdrawal”. This was one of my best cruises ever. I’m not sure I can put a finger on exactly what it was. As you know, a lot of it was Ron Pass, but it was even more than that. I think the crew was probably the best I’ve had on a cruise ship. Everyone, in every area of the ship was top notch.

It was also all of the smiling faces on the ship. The “bloggers” of BC5 were there to have fun so I think they set the atmosphere for the cruise. I found the same sort of thing on BC4, but this time it was even more so.

Another thing that made this cruise special was our table mates at dinner time. (I’m leaving off their names because I don’t know if they want them posted here.) There are two kinds of table mates… those from hell and those that become your friends. With the first kind you can’t woof down your food fast enough so you can get away from them. Thank goodness these folks were the second kind. With these friends we stayed and chatted long after dinner was over on most nights. After we got to know them, we were among the last to leave the dining room. Our new friends helped “make” our cruise. Thanks ya’ll.

So the last morning I was hoping that it would be one of those fog days where the ship would have to stay out of port for a few extra hours. Even though I had a long drive to do, I would have been glad to make other arrangements if I could have stayed on the ship more. But alas, we pulled into Galveston right on time… maybe even a little early. So it was time to get off the ship… get back to reality… and get back to work to pay for another cruise.

Since I had the long drive I decided to do the “self disembark” which means that Amy and I would carry off all of our bags rather than have them taken off the night before. I had never done this before, but with the drive ahead, I decided to give it a try. If I had to get off the ship, then I would want to get the “show on the road” by being in the first group off the ship. It worked really well. Getting off the ship was smooth and efficient… customs was a breeze… and within about 10-15 minutes of being called I was in my car and on my way back to the “Frozen Tundra”.

Was this cruise perfect? Darned close!!! The only flaw was only the SCUBA tour operator and that really wasn’t Carnival… it was the tour operator. I trust that Carnival is addressing that. Everything else about the cruise was absolute top notch. Even if I was made King of Carnival, there is very little I would change about this cruise.

This will be my last “regular” post for this cruise. I am making a couple of videos of the cruise and when those are ready I will post their links here so the “subscribers” to the thread will get notified. (I’ll probably get the videos ready this coming week-end.)

I will also post a link to my next “Live From…” so you can come along with me on that cruise too. Until then I wish you all “Fair winds and following seas… and long may your big jib draw.”

Bob

Memories of Naked Fanny

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Hi all,

For those who are still subscribed to this link... and those who hopefully enjoyed reading my version of reality... I'm doing another live from. This time from the Carnival Valor.

Join me for another adventure. This time with a couple of new "twists". Here's the link to the new thread.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?p=34189610#post34189610

Bob

Memories of Naked Fanny

Archived