Losing my cruiseginity to Carnival Freedom 10/14/12

sweetcurves

And I have so many questions! I am sure that some of them could be answered by other threads but the sheer volume of information is overwhelming and I'd rather be able to get everything I need from one thread.

I'm traveling with my sister (who is also my best friend--I'm 32, she's 28) and we booked an inside cabin (1434). We are spending 2 nights in Ft Lauderdale before embarkation. I'm hoping we're not ready to kill one another right around the time we get to Grand Cayman.

Anyway, here are some of my questions.

1) Sis and I are both diabetic (yay for terrible genetics) and soda makes me feel all bloaty. So our plan is to bring a lot of powdered sugar free mixes to mix with water (Crystal Light etc). I was thinking of bringing a re-usable thermal cup with me as I like to have something to drink with me at all times. Is this allowed? Will they give me a hard time about it if that's what I want to use on board? Obviously I wouldn't use it in the MDR...that would be a little weird. Sort of like wearing a bathrobe to dinner... :D

2) What time do the pools/hot tubs close? Night swimming is awesome.

3) If I order a bottle of alcohol through Bon Voyage, can it only be consumed in my cabin? Or can I mix myself a drink in my re-usable thermal cup and lounge on deck? :cool:

4) It's my birthday on one of our "at sea" days. Any suggestions on what to do to make it memorable? Besides really enjoy that bottle of booze I order from Bon Voyage hehe :o

5) The showers in the cabins look like they'd flood the bathroom. Or is there a lip that I can't see?

6) The cabin we chose has two uppers. I'm a space freak and I tend to overpack so I thought we could use these for extra space to lay out clothes etc. Is this practical or are the uppers too low to leave down all the time?

7) How irritated are you with my lame questions? LOL

8) If I want to try something on the menu at the MDR, but there's an ingredient I am either allergic to or just completely loathe, is the kitchen accomodating? I don't like to be a total pain in the butt but I'm also a very picky eater.

9) Any concerns about theft of items from your cabin? I don't plan on bringing anything of major value but I'm always worried someone might really want my Coach sunglasses. LOL

10) Is there lots of food available 24/7 or limited after a certain time of day? (I know this is specific to each ship, so I'm asking about Freedom, not any other ship). I already know room service is 24/7 but the menu seems limited.

That's all for now. I'm sure more questions will arise between now and cruise day! 221 days to go!

P.S. What the heck does DH stand for? Don't say designated hitter. I already know that once someone tells me, I'm going to feel like an idiot for not being able to figure it out. HA!

And I have so many questions! I am sure that some of them could be answered by other threads but the sheer volume of information is overwhelming and I'd rather be able to get everything I need from one thread.

I'm traveling with my sister (who is also my best friend--I'm 32, she's 28) and we booked an inside cabin (1434). We are spending 2 nights in Ft Lauderdale before embarkation. I'm hoping we're not ready to kill one another right around the time we get to Grand Cayman.

1) Sis and I are both diabetic (yay for terrible genetics) and soda makes me feel all bloaty. So our plan is to bring a lot of powdered sugar free mixes to mix with water (Crystal Light etc). I was thinking of bringing a re-usable thermal cup with me as I like to have something to drink with me at all times. Is this allowed? Will they give me a hard time about it if that's what I want to use on board? Obviously I wouldn't use it in the MDR...that would be a little weird. Sort of like wearing a bathrobe to dinner... :D

2) What time do the pools/hot tubs close? Night swimming is awesome.

3) If I order a bottle of alcohol through Bon Voyage, can it only be consumed in my cabin? Or can I mix myself a drink in my re-usable thermal cup and lounge on deck? :cool:

4) It's my birthday on one of our "at sea" days. Any suggestions on what to do to make it memorable? Besides really enjoy that bottle of booze I order from Bon Voyage hehe :o

5) The showers in the cabins look like they'd flood the bathroom. Or is there a lip that I can't see?

6) The cabin we chose has two uppers. I'm a space freak and I tend to overpack so I thought we could use these for extra space to lay out clothes etc. Is this practical or are the uppers too low to leave down all the time?

7) How irritated are you with my lame questions? LOL

8) If I want to try something on the menu at the MDR, but there's an ingredient I am either allergic to or just completely loathe, is the kitchen accomodating? I don't like to be a total pain in the butt but I'm also a very picky eater.

9) Any concerns about theft of items from your cabin? I don't plan on bringing anything of major value but I'm always worried someone might really want my Coach sunglasses. LOL

10) Is there lots of food available 24/7 or limited after a certain time of day? (I know this is specific to each ship, so I'm asking about Freedom, not any other ship). I already know room service is 24/7 but the menu seems limited.

That's all for now. I'm sure more questions will arise between now and cruise day! 221 days to go!

P.S. What the heck does DH stand for? Don't say designated hitter. I already know that once someone tells me, I'm going to feel like an idiot for not being able to figure it out. HA!

I'm a cruise virgin too (sailing 1-27-13 for my honeymoon) but DH usually stands for Dearest Husband. It could be different on this board though.

My cousin has sailed on the Freedom and liked it. It looked like fun from her Facebook photos.

We were on the Freedom Oct 2011 and loved her!!!! The ship is less gawdy than some of the other ships and the staff was so so awesome!!

Shower - yes, there is a lip, but not very high. Try to be careful with positioning the shower curtain and you will be OK.

Sis' bday - you can bring some decorations that pack easily and some "signs" you print off your computer at home, photos, etc. For their 50th anniversary we decorated DPIL's cabin door, window behind closed drapes, bathroom mirror, inside closet door, etc. It was alot of fun.

Two uppers - usually are only pulled down at night. Might bump your head otherwise.

Theft - never a problem, but then I also do not bring my best "jewels" or anything that is really special to me. Anything of value I lock in safe. BTW, bring with a couple of old gift cards with magnetic strips to use to open and close safe. (I usually bring 2 or so with. Once I had one that did not work.) Hide it somewhere that both of you know where it is. Better for security purposes and accessing safe, if it was locked using the other person's S&S card and she is not there.

Food - pretty much available all the time. However, some areas close down part of the day or in prep for the evening buffet, etc. Also, look on the daily schedule for any special food events going on.

Thermal mug - definitely bring along!

DH = Darling Husband

DS = Darling Son

DIL = Darling-In-Law

etc.

And NO, there are no lame questions! Have a great cruise!!

Oops! :o Sorry, but I misread and thought it was your sis' bday. Pass on the decoration ideas to her.

BTW, I don't want you to get wrong idea about food availability. For example, the buffet lines are closed for periods of time. I have never gone there at 2 or 3am, but I don't think they are open at that point. I hope another poster will have better info about this for you. During the day, however, something is available somewhere, pizza, ice cream machine, grills. On port days the buffet area is usually held open a bit longer to accommodate returning passengers.

Hope you enjoy your cruise!!!! Beware, cruising can be addicting. :D

1) Sis and I are both diabetic (yay for terrible genetics) and soda makes me feel all bloaty. So our plan is to bring a lot of powdered sugar free mixes to mix with water (Crystal Light etc). I was thinking of bringing a re-usable thermal cup with me as I like to have something to drink with me at all times. Is this allowed? Will they give me a hard time about it if that's what I want to use on board? Obviously I wouldn't use it in the MDR...that would be a little weird. Sort of like wearing a bathrobe to dinner... :D Not a problem!!

2) What time do the pools/hot tubs close? Night swimming is awesome. 10pm I think

3) If I order a bottle of alcohol through Bon Voyage, can it only be consumed in my cabin? Or can I mix myself a drink in my re-usable thermal cup and lounge on deck? :cool: You mix yourself a drink and drink it on deck!

4) It's my birthday on one of our "at sea" days. Any suggestions on what to do to make it memorable? Besides really enjoy that bottle of booze I order from Bon Voyage hehe :o Make a spa appt? Massage?

5) The showers in the cabins look like they'd flood the bathroom. Or is there a lip that I can't see? They might flood, just keep your dry towel and clothes up off the floor.

6) The cabin we chose has two uppers. I'm a space freak and I tend to overpack so I thought we could use these for extra space to lay out clothes etc. Is this practical or are the uppers too low to leave down all the time? You won't want to leave them down all the time. You will have plenty of closet space.

7) How irritated are you with my lame questions? LOL LOL you are fine!!

8) If I want to try something on the menu at the MDR, but there's an ingredient I am either allergic to or just completely loathe, is the kitchen accomodating? I don't like to be a total pain in the butt but I'm also a very picky eater. If you are allergic to something, don't eat it. If its something you need to speak with the MD about, do it. No problem. They deal with this all the time.

9) Any concerns about theft of items from your cabin? I don't plan on bringing anything of major value but I'm always worried someone might really want my Coach sunglasses. LOL Use your safe. We have never had a problem.

10) Is there lots of food available 24/7 or limited after a certain time of day? (I know this is specific to each ship, so I'm asking about Freedom, not any other ship). I already know room service is 24/7 but the menu seems limited. Pizza!!

DH = Dear Husband! lol

Hope that helped. I was lucky. My first cruise was with my sister and my mom who were both experienced cruisers. Now I am more experienced than they are! LOL

1) Sis and I are both diabetic (yay for terrible genetics) and soda makes me feel all bloaty. So our plan is to bring a lot of powdered sugar free mixes to mix with water (Crystal Light etc). I was thinking of bringing a re-usable thermal cup with me as I like to have something to drink with me at all times. Is this allowed? Will they give me a hard time about it if that's what I want to use on board? Obviously I wouldn't use it in the MDR...that would be a little weird. Sort of like wearing a bathrobe to dinner... :D You can absolutely bring one. I bring three canteens. One for Water and one for each of us for whatever we want. Mine are wide mouth 32ozers.

2) What time do the pools/hot tubs close? Night swimming is awesome. I can't remember, 10 I think

3) If I order a bottle of alcohol through Bon Voyage, can it only be consumed in my cabin? Or can I mix myself a drink in my re-usable thermal cup and lounge on deck? :cool: Of Course

4) It's my birthday on one of our "at sea" days. Any suggestions on what to do to make it memorable? Besides really enjoy that bottle of booze I order from Bon Voyage hehe :o If you're into SPA treatments, book yourself a pampering day. Otherwise participate in as much cheesy stuff on board as your heart can stand and make sure you tell everyone it's your birthday and there's still time to send you presents. :D Other options, Book dinner in the steakhouse ($30) or sign up for Chef's Table ($75) ... in the MDR you may end up with a candle in your dessert and a nice rendition of Hoppy Bursdays :)

5) The showers in the cabins look like they'd flood the bathroom. Or is there a lip that I can't see? I've never had it flood, but that might just be me

6) The cabin we chose has two uppers. I'm a space freak and I tend to overpack so I thought we could use these for extra space to lay out clothes etc. Is this practical or are the uppers too low to leave down all the time? these usually stay up in the ceiling unless someone is going to sleep on em. Depending on how tall you are, that might just be a headache waiting to happen (we are tall people). I don't find the cabins all that small. I organize things on the hangers (accessories with outfit on same hanger Ziplocs are my friend)

7) How irritated are you with my lame questions? LOL we've all had them, haven't we?

8) If I want to try something on the menu at the MDR, but there's an ingredient I am either allergic to or just completely loathe, is the kitchen accomodating? I don't like to be a total pain in the butt but I'm also a very picky eater. If you're allergic you can let them know ahead of time (me, raw tomatoes ... sadly), I personally have never had a request to leave something out of a plate denied, though must things I just pick around.... like I wish the bowtie pasta dish didn't have PEAS in it

9) Any concerns about theft of items from your cabin? I don't plan on bringing anything of major value but I'm always worried someone might really want my Coach sunglasses. LOL No, but be mindful of your stuff on deck. I'm sure many have accidentally walked away from sunglasses, bags, drinks, cameras .... BubbaQ carries a D&B bag for his suntan lotion ... many a woman has been envious of his handbag but none have been brave enough to take it. Personally I don't take anything on vacation that I'd be crushed if it got lost.

10) Is there lots of food available 24/7 or limited after a certain time of day? (I know this is specific to each ship, so I'm asking about Freedom, not any other ship). I already know room service is 24/7 but the menu seems limited. Oh, you will not go hungry. Pizza is 24/7 (which is Pizza, calzones, salad), I don't remember if the Freedom had late night snacks out as well.

and for your reading enjoyment there's a review with pictures of the freedom linked in my signature. Though we went to different ports of call.

You are most welcome!! And welcome to cruising!! If you are anything like the rest of us, its an addiction... lol!

This will be my first trip outside of Canada/contiguous USA. I am scared to death and will be packing a pharmacy. I have a very sensitive system. :o

So if anyone is on my cruise and needs drugs of any sort, I will likely have them. LOL

This will be my first trip outside of Canada/contiguous USA. I am scared to death and will be packing a pharmacy. I have a very sensitive system. :o

So if anyone is on my cruise and needs drugs of any sort, I will likely have them. LOL

LOL you are too funny. You will have LOTS of fun!! We usually pack benedryl or zyrtec for allergies, advil, imodium, cough drops, etc. But you will find you prolly won't need them!

I am sure others can add to this list... lol!

Ohh another question...what about outlets? Should I pack a powerbar? LOL

I plan on bringing a tiny fan because I need to be COLD when I sleep and I need the hum as well.

I have read where they will take your powerbar, but not sure since I have not taken one before.

I took a small fan with me on one of my Fantasy cruises and never used it. The room fan was enough. I ended up giving it to our cabin stewardess after she asked me where she could get one. Seems their cabins get a tad warm.

Ohh another question...what about outlets? Should I pack a powerbar? LOL

I have read where they will take your powerbar, but not sure since I have not taken one before.

I've heard this as well, but have taken a small one with 4 outlets and have never had it taken so far. It's not an expensive one so if it ever did get taken, I wouldn't exactly be heartbroken about it.

As far as OBC goes, can my sister and I have our own separate accounts or is it just for the cabin?

Good question. I don't know. We never worry about it when its me and DH... lol.

I am sure someone on here will know and will be able to answer the question soon!!

I just checked on carnival.com's forums and it appears we can have separate accounts. Thank God because I don't want to spend the days AFTER the cruise trying to figure out who owes what and who drank what when and where.

First, you can have two separate sail and sign accounts. When you do you online "check-in" (funpass) process, it'll walk you thru that. When you set up yours, it'll show your sister's name and give you the option to let her have charging privileges or not have charging privileges.

You totally can take your own cup or mug. We take ours all the time. Keeps everything colder whether I mix it in the cabin or get it from the bar. And I'm with you on the powdered drink mixes - I take alot of those myself.

About the showers - we flood our bathroom everytime. Like someone else said, don't leave your towel or clothes on the floor. I have tried to position that shower curtain and I don't know what it is about me that makes it flood. Luckily it drains quickly (there's a drain in the shower and one just outside of the shower) and the cabin stewards are awesome about new towels and drying the bathroom floor while we're at dinner. Yay!

Another thought on the shower thing - use the spa showers. They're free to use, they're larger than your cabin shower, and if you have long hair that is prone to frizzing in humidity, or if you are hot natured, you'll be glad to not have that hot, humid air coming into the cabin when you open your bathroom door after your showers. (TMI, but I'm always trying to dry my hair when DD gets out of the shower, so between my blowdryer and the hot humid air from her shower, not only does my hair go nuts, but I end up sweating before I can even get dressed!! ack!) So yeah, use the showers in the spa. You have an awesome bathrobe in your cabin you can wear to the spa and back, so you don't have to take anything except whatever shower toiletries you need. There are towels up there too. Awesome!

I'll be on Freedom in a month so I'll let you know if I notice anything else while I'm there! Yay!

1) Sis and I are both diabetic (yay for terrible genetics) and soda makes me feel all bloaty. So our plan is to bring a lot of powdered sugar free mixes to mix with water (Crystal Light etc). I was thinking of bringing a re-usable thermal cup with me as I like to have something to drink with me at all times. Is this allowed? Will they give me a hard time about it if that's what I want to use on board? Obviously I wouldn't use it in the MDR...that would be a little weird. Sort of like wearing a bathrobe to dinner... :D: Yup, you can bring your own cup.

2) What time do the pools/hot tubs close?: Not sure about the pool, but the hot tubs close around 11pm.

3) If I order a bottle of alcohol through Bon Voyage, can it only be consumed in my cabin? Or can I mix myself a drink in my re-usable thermal cup and lounge on deck?: You can drink it anywhere.

4) It's my birthday on one of our "at sea" days. Any suggestions on what to do to make it memorable? Besides really enjoy that bottle of booze I order from Bon Voyage: List your birthday as something you're celebrating on your profile and the waiters will bring out a dessert with a candle and sing you happy birthday.

5) The showers in the cabins look like they'd flood the bathroom. Or is there a lip that I can't see?: There's a small lip on them. Your bathroom will get a little wet though.

6) The cabin we chose has two uppers. I'm a space freak and I tend to overpack so I thought we could use these for extra space to lay out clothes etc. Is this practical or are the uppers too low to leave down all the time?: There is plenty of space in your cabin, so I don't think this will be necessary. Plus I don't think you'll want to leave them down all the time.

7) How irritated are you with my lame questions?: Not at all! :)

8) If I want to try something on the menu at the MDR, but there's an ingredient I am either allergic to or just completely loathe, is the kitchen accomodating? I don't like to be a total pain in the butt but I'm also a very picky eater.: The food is pre-plated, so they normally won't make something special for you. If you have an allergy, contact the special needs department and they will work with you to make sure your food is allergy free.

9) Any concerns about theft of items from your cabin? I don't plan on bringing anything of major value but I'm always worried someone might really want my Coach sunglasses: There is a safe, so keep anything of value in there.

10) Is there lots of food available 24/7 or limited after a certain time of day? (I know this is specific to each ship, so I'm asking about Freedom, not any other ship). I already know room service is 24/7 but the menu seems limited.: Pizza, ice cream, and room service is available 24/7.

I got off the Freedom about a month ago, so I can answer any ship related questions you have. I also have a long review in my siggy with plenty of pictures.

Archived