wifi for my Kindle

lizjoemom

I am sure that this question has been asked and answered somewhere on this board, but I am too lazy to look for it! Anyway here goes:

Can I access wifi on board the ship with my kindle Fire, and if so do I have to pay for it ahead of time, or does it charge my amazon account? Anyone have any input it is appreciated.:confused:

You would have to buy internet time through the ship - expensive and slow. Do a search for internet prices, I have never bought internet time, I'm on vacation and can live without it for a week. I load all my books on my Kindle before I leave home so I can read without worrying about running out of options.

You would have to buy internet time through the ship - expensive and slow. Do a search for internet prices, I have never bought internet time, I'm on vacation and can live without it for a week. I load all my books on my Kindle before I leave home so I can read without worrying about running out of options.

I dont know if I can go a whole week without Words with Friends!!!!:eek: LOL

Yup, unfortunately, with the wifi, you would have to pay. Amazon only picks up the tab for the 3G downloading of books. It's just like when you hooked your's up at home, you would have to put in the network secure password. You would have to do the same on the ship, but pay for it.

I agree with the previous poster, if it's just books, load it up with piles before you leave. Also, while in port, you *may* find a hotspot off the ship.

On the Dream a few weeks ago, it was $30 for 45 mins. of internet time.

Whoa! Thats alot of money just to play words with friends, guess my competitors will have to wait til I get home!

Most Kindles will hold more books than you could read in a lifetime. Come prepared. I take a small thumb drive with over 7000 ebooks loaded into Calibre library. My wife reads her Kindle several hours a day, on land or by sea. The Calibre program lets me load to any format reader. I usually use epub, but my wife's Kindle uses mobi. I come prepared. Loading through WiFi on board equals more than the book costs on Amazon, and would probably time out and force you to start over.

On the Dream a few weeks ago, it was $30 for 45 mins. of internet time.

oh my goodness! Thats robbery. :mad: Why not have a cruise length access package or price? geez.

I'm loading up the kindle fire with books and games and won't worry about the internet for myself. But I still think its gouging a captive audience. ::sigh::

oh my goodness! Thats robbery. :mad: Why not have a cruise length access package or price? geez.

I'm loading up the kindle fire with books and games and won't worry about the internet for myself. But I still think its gouging a captive audience. ::sigh::

Remember it is a satellite connection, and that is expensive, and done through a third party, that charges Carnival.

There are no cellphone towers in the ocean, therefore it's via satellite. That's expensive for the ship, and expensive for you.

If I bring my iPad and buy some wireless minutes can I do it in my cabin or do I need to go to the Internet cafe to buy?

If you can get wifi reception is your cabin, you should be able to buy minutes right on your ipad. Usually you just look for available connections log on and it takes you to a "pricing/contract" page. Enter name and or cabin and it charges to your onboard acct.

Remember it is a satellite connection, and that is expensive, and done through a third party, that charges Carnival.

Okay, fair enough. I was thinking the ship would have the satellite for itself, regardless if even one passenger purchased time to link in. Also, comparing to what one would pay themselves for a whole month of satellite internet service.

But hey, if the market bears it, so be it, lol. I'd rather buy shoes!

On February 28 while aboard the Victory, I turned on my kindle to read by

the pool and lo an behold, my preorder for the new Jodi Picoult book was

downloaded by Amazon that morning. I had already downloaded 5 books before sailingso I was well prepared.

If you can get wifi reception is your cabin, you should be able to buy minutes right on your ipad. Usually you just look for available connections log on and it takes you to a "pricing/contract" page. Enter name and or cabin and it charges to your onboard acct.

Great thanks, I figure the 45 minute package would be enough to keep in touch with home and not have to pay by the minute.

Carnival's web site is free to use from your laptop or tablet.

There is a Currently OnBoard Forum (Under Funville) that is used to keep in touch with friends and family.

Everyone has to be registered to post, and it is a public forum.

Melanie

The satellite Internet connection is dismal. Depending on the ship that you're on and when you try to connect, it may take several minutes just to load a simple Google page (which is the essence of fast and lean).

Some recommendations:

1) Skip the Internet altogether. It's a major waste of money.

2) If you do use it, temporarily disable web page images, for speedier page loads.

3) Avoid visiting slow, bogged down websites that feed you lots of ads, scripts, and other junk.

4) Write your emails offline, then connect and send them.

5) If you're sending photos, use software to scale them down beforehand. Send no more than two or three photos in a given email to prevent a failed upload, since many email programs will kill the email altogether if it doesn't complete the process. Since the ship connection occasionally breaks, that's wasted minutes that you've paid a premium for.

Thanks everyone for all the info. It doesnt seem to make any sense to get the wifi on the ship, not for that price. Thanks too for the different links to free book websites, I will def. be checking them out.

Archived