Best Archaelogical Ruins Sites

iluvtravel

I am helping to organize a family reunion. We will be sailing on the Elation in July with Belize, Progresso, and Cozumel as our ports of call. I know there are several opportunities for archaelogical sites, and was wondering which do you think are the best? Thanks for your help!

The only one I have seen so far is the Tulum ruins. That excursion is out of Cozumel. The problem is you have to ferry from Cozumel to the mainland (45 minutes) and then take an hour bus ride with a stop at a jewelry factory. The tour takes the whole time in port.

The ruins are terrific though. If you go, wear your swimsuit. There is a small beach there. After touring (especially in July), you'll want to cool off.

Also purchase the round-trip tram ride from the parking area. Definitely worth the few dollars (3 or 4) per person.

I'm going in July to Belize and doing the Altun Ha ruins. I've heard those are good but have no experience first hand.

Good luck!

I have done Tulum in Cozumel and Alta Ha in Belize.

http://belizecruiseexcursions.com/ this excursion is 35.00 pp compared to 80-90 bucks per person for the tulum one. Belize there is not much of choices to do here at this port.

SO much to do in Cozumel. The ruins in Belize you can also climb the pyramid...not so in CozumeIn July--no matter which one you do--take misquito spray..and expect it to be HOT HOT HOT.

I've been to Tulum and Chichen Itza. If you only want to pick one, I'd go to Chichen Itza while you're docked in Progresso. My opinion....there's more to see at Chichen Itza. When we were there last year, we were able to climb the pyramid. The guide told us that soon, it would no longer be possible to do this. So....I don't know if you can still climb or not. But you can also go in the inner room at the bottom of the pyramid. Plus, there is the courtyard where they played a game kinda like soccer.....only the losing team was beheaded!! There were more buildings and part of the wall that surrounded the city is still there, also, the cenote. Just all kinds of interesting things to see.

Hope this helps!!! And have a great cruise!!!

Plus, there is the courtyard where they played a game kinda like soccer.....only the losing team was beheaded!!

O.K. Help me out here. We were told that the captain of the winning team was beheaded because he was deemed worthy to go live with the gods and that it was an honor for him and his family. There was even a carving in the wall of the arena of one of the captains being beheaded. The figure was not protesting and had his hands free. Which one is the correct custom?

Plus, there is the courtyard where they played a game kinda like soccer.....only the losing team was beheaded!!

O.K. Help me out here. We were told that the captain of the winning team was beheaded because he was deemed worthy to go live with the gods and that it was an honor for him and his family. There was even a carving in the wall of the arena of one of the captains being beheaded. The figure was not protesting and had his hands free. Which one is the correct custom?

I'm sure our guide said the losers were beheaded. Maybe he was misinformed??? Yes...there is a carving of someone being beheaded. I don't recall the guide saying it was the captain though. Now, you have me wondering. Guess I'll have to do a little research!!

Check out this website:

http://www.mysteriousplaces.com/mayan/BallCourt.html

This website says it was the winning captain who presented his head to the losing captain. Hmmmm....I'm sure I heard the guide correctly. Oh well.....I'm going to keep researching to make sure! Sorry for any confusion!! At any rate...this is still my favorite archeological site!

Check out this website:

http://www.mysteriousplaces.com/mayan/BallCourt.html

This website says it was the winning captain who presented his head to the losing captain. Hmmmm....I'm sure I heard the guide correctly. Oh well.....I'm going to keep researching to make sure! Sorry for any confusion!! At any rate...this is still my favorite archeological site!

I lost my first reply to you so I'll try again.

I didn't mean to make you have to spend time researching. I was pretty sure our guide had said it was the winning team's captian who had the "honor" of being

beheaded and going to live with the gods but after reading that your guide had said differently, I was confused.

I do appreciate your reply and the website. We didn't get to see the cenote while we were there since our tour was running out of time before we got there. The website has such good pictures of it. I hope I get the opportunity to go to Chichen Itza again so I can see it for myself.

We are going to Tulum this time around. We have never been there, will not go to the Progreso port this time...will be in Cozumel so Tulum it is.

Chichen Itza is a favorite of mine. I'm hoping Tulum will be as interesting and educational. I'm not expecting it to be as fascinating but I can hope.

Chichen Itza and Tulum are both excellent sites. The major advantage to Chichen Itza (Capital of the Mayan Empire) is that you could walk on some of the ruins and especially the main pyramid. Tulum was the only Mayan Seaport City - so it is very unique.

Chichen Itza and Tulum are both excellent sites. The major advantage to Chichen Itza (Capital of the Mayan Empire) is that you could walk on some of the ruins and especially the main pyramid. Tulum was the only Mayan Seaport City - so it is very unique.

Thank you Host Terry. I am looking forward to seeing Tulum. It's hard for me to imagine it compared to Chichen Itza. I guess I shouldn't try to compare the two. There was such an energy at Chichen Itza. It was an amazing connection. Maybe Tulum will be the same.

It looks like Chichen Itza is the recommended tour. Has anyone been to Xunantunich or Altun Ha from Belize or the Dzibilchaltun Mayan Ruins from Progresso? How would these compare?? Thanks for your help!

This Mayan Ruin was nice. I have been to Tulum, which I loved, but I enjoyed this one also. There is a Cenote ( a pond ) there which you can swim in. Believe you will want to it's hot and humid. We all swam in it after walking aroung the ruins. The water is clear and refreshing. there are beautiful water lilies on top and little fish. We all loved it.

We got a cab just off the dock and he stayed with us all day. We went to Merida first and then the ruins. After the ruins we went to Progresso and had a late lunch at a beach side restuarant. It was very nice. Our cab was a mini van (since there were four adults and four kids) and it cost 110.00 for all of us. The driver was very kind and stayed with us all day. He didn't speak much English but we managed well. We had a wonderful day and swimming in the cenote was the icing on the cake. Try it.

Archived