One last insurance question...

Vellamint

Traveling in February and aside from pre-existing waiver (required due to very elderly parents) I need to know that if there is a blizzard and we do not get to the ship in time that we will be reimbursed for the trip.....

Is that trip interruption?

If the worst happens and we dont make it, I would just like to know that we havent thrown our money out the window...i

Thanks.

Where such a claim would go depends on policy...

For a TravelGuard policy, I think any unexpected layover expenses would be under Trip Delay, the catch-up costs under Missed Connection, and the missed cruise days under Trip Interruption. (However, if your new itinerary would violate the PSA and the ship doesn't want to handle the fine, you are out of luck. You'll get your money back for what you missed due to the storm, but zero for they days missed due to PSA issues.)

All carriers have a minimum delay before they'll pay out; this varies by carrier.

If you are cruising in the winter, your best bet is to stay in an inexpensive hotel the night before your cruise... that's a lot more relaxing than staring at your watch and end up arriving 15 minutes too late.

Traveling in February and aside from pre-existing waiver (required due to very elderly parents) I need to know that if there is a blizzard and we do not get to the ship in time that we will be reimbursed for the trip.....

Thanks.

You're probably not going to be reimbursed for the trip (if you mean can you cancel and be covered for the losses). Almost all insurers require that you catch up with the ship at the next port of call.

As noted above, the cost of the additional transportation expenses, hotel/meals while you're waiting, and the value of the missed days on the cruise can fall under one or more coverages depending on the insurer.

Archived