Really Need the PR Experts!!!!

martyap

We are staying in Condado for 6 days and I need some advice about getting around in addition to taking taxis everywhere.

1. I know the bus on Ashford (B21?) goes into Old San Juan. Do you get off at the very last stop? at the bus terminal in OSJ?

2. Does the same bus (B21) also go in the opposite direction to Plaza las Americas? Is that something we want to do via bus?

3. From Ashford Ave can we walk to Placita Santurce? Looks like about half a mile but in a direction we have never walked before. Is it safe? desolate?

We are eating dinner there one night........is the market during the day something to visit as well?

Thanks,

Karen

I do not understand, how so big city like San Juan can exist with so bad public transport system. Absolutly tourist unfriendly, even locals had problems. On bus stops /paradas/ is not possible to see the lines plan, time schedules and transport system map even in the main bus terminal in Old San Juan

I was there week ago and I do not understand how desorganised public transport in SJ is. I must say, in our 100.000 inhab. city we have better system understandable to foreigners

Your questions:

1. You get off at very last stop in terminal OSJ /covered building/ few meters from free troley stop- prepare to pay exact 75 cents per passenger per leg in coins, no banknotes, no return.

2. Yes, but you have to ask locals in bus, where to get off.

I would post your questions on tripadvisor.com on the Travel Forum for Puerto Rico so the Puerto Rico Destination Experts can advise you. They are always very helpful since, I think, they all live in Puerto Rico.

For me, it was an easy walk from Escambron (sp?) Beach in Condado to Old San Juan. I hear the locals advise walking to and from for the monthly Heineken Jazz concerts, because there's no parking.

I took the bus to Plaza Las Americas years ago, but I was coming from Isla Verde. I've never been a big mall fan unless most of the stores are having a big sale. I prefer smaller, more personal stores, so I'm not a good one to comment on Plaza Las Americas.

I'm not a big fan of US public transportation, because it's usually so limited, but I was happy to have it as an option when I was on an assignment in Puerto Rico. It took forever, but it did take me where I wanted to go, and I made it back to work in time. Taxis, though more expensive, are a more efficient use of your vacation time.

I would definitely use taxis rather than public bus. Only other option I would consider would be rental car. PR is expensive for tourists in my opinion. Lived there the first 30 years of my life! The good thing is that since we are part of US there is no problems with money, passports, etc. You may encounter a bit of language barrier but not so much in businesses and locales that cater to tourism industry. Plaza Las Americas is a great shopping mall. The Placita de Santurce has great places to eat. It has become a trendy place after I left the island but I hear from my friends that it is really good. Don't know much about at night but during the day is definitely OK.

I would definitely use taxis rather than public bus. Only other option I would consider would be rental car. PR is expensive for tourists in my opinion. Lived there the first 30 years of my life! The good thing is that since we are part of US there is no problems with money' date=' passports, etc. You may encounter a bit of language barrier but not so much in businesses and locales that cater to tourism industry. Plaza Las Americas is a great shopping mall. The Placita de Santurce has great places to eat. It has become a trendy place after I left the island but I hear from my friends that it is really good. Don't know much about at night but during the day is definitely OK.[/quote']

Thanks......We certainly do not need a rental car to go from Condado to OSJ or from Condado to Plaza Americas or from Condado to Placita......These are relatively close to each other....We do plan to take taxis at night.......my question was to get an idea of how to get to these very close destinations during the day w/o spending $20 on a taxi.....

All our trips to San Juan through the years we have always ridden taxis. They treated us well and we didn't find the fares excessive. The convenience was worth a bit extra, to us.

All our trips to San Juan through the years we have always ridden taxis. They treated us well and we didn't find the fares excessive. The convenience was worth a bit extra, to us.

Wow....I thought my question was pretty simple and instead I get a lesson on the convenience of taking taxis in San Juan.....

The public bus stops right outside our hotel in Condado and goes to old San Juan. I only wanted to know if it will also take me to plaza las Americas which is in the opposite direction. I certainly know I can take a taxi! I need to purchase a gift card at the mall and it did not make sense spending $40 on a r/t taxi when there is a bus that can get me there for 75 cents.

Placita santurce is a half mile from my hotel. The restaurant manager told me it was an easy walk. All I wanted to find out is if it is an area that walking is suggested or if it is a route that is not heavily traveled. This would be during the day....in the evening we would most definitely use the very convenient taxis in San Juan.

If anyone knows the answers it would be great hearing from you.

3. From Ashford Ave can we walk to Placita Santurce? Looks like about half a mile but in a direction we have never walked before. Is it safe? desolate?

We are eating dinner there one night........is the market during the day something to visit as well?

I'm a local, and I would not walk from Condado to the placita. Others may differ, but this is my opinion. Once you get south of Ave. Wilson in Condado, you go through a rather unsavory neighborhood and have to traverse an underpass on Canals St. (Google-map Placita Santurce to see what I mean). I've never been to the market, so I don't know if it's worth visiting, sorry. I do know the area, though, because our church is on Canals St.

I'm a local, and I would not walk from Condado to the placita. Others may differ, but this is my opinion. Once you get south of Ave. Wilson in Condado, you go through a rather unsavory neighborhood and have to traverse an underpass on Canals St. (Google-map Placita Santurce to see what I mean). I've never been to the market, so I don't know if it's worth visiting, sorry. I do know the area, though, because our church is on Canals St.

Thank you very much. Exactly the information I wanted. We will take a taxi. A friend of ours who lives in San Juan raves about Boronia restaurant in Placita Santurce and the owner is putting together a special dinner for 12 of us. I did know about the underpass. Muchas gracias!!!!

Archived