Bringing bottles of wine on the ship.

AdamKnows

When I join the Eclipse in Miami do I have to carry on the two bottles of wine or can I just place them in my luggage and hand it off to the porter?

In your checked luggage will be fine. It gets checked the same way it does when you fly. Be sure to tip that porter. He or she doesn't work for the cruise line. No tip could lead to delayed luggage.

Have fun!:D

When I join the Eclipse in Miami do I have to carry on the two bottles of wine or can I just place them in my luggage and hand it off to the porter?

You could put it in your luggage if you so desire. I would use a wine diaper.

We prefer to carry on to avoid possible breakage.

Hi AdamKnows,

By all accounts taking them carry-on is the best (way less hassle). First off you don't have to risk the possibility of breakage... :(

Or also the possibility of being called down to the "Naughty Room" to open your bags for verification (means delayed baggage) :eek::confused:

Hope this is helpful,

Cheers!

Much better to bring them on as a carry on to avoid possible breakage and to avoid a possible trip to the "naughty room" - as they may feel you are attempting to smuggle liquor or extra wine if you check the wine.

As for the people serving as porters, in U.S. ports they are union longshoremen earning upper middle class wages. Absolutely no need or expectation to tip them; you are already paying dearly for their services in your port fees. All they do is put your luggage on a cart (that is next to them) and push the cart a few yards once full (where others take over). They have ZERO control over when you receive your luggage. There are signs up at all US ports saying they do not need to be tipped.

Not tipping could = broken bottles of wine!

Or your bags not getting on a cart, showing up at all ... etc.

We don't call it a tip... we think of it as a bit of an "insurance policy" instead.

Lol, like all insurance policies... No Guarantees... but it makes us feel better. :rolleyes:

PS... Just like all baggage services, they move these bags pretty agressively I'm guessing... on and off the ship, various luggage handlers etc... I still say don't risk it... carry-on your wine. Not having wine to drink aboard would be SAD ... but having wine soaked clothes too boot... with be BAD !!

Cheers!

Archived