Beer package?

kymbakitty

We've traveled mostly with Princess/RCCL, and never had the option of a beverage package that included alcohol.

I am the only one that drinks so it would be just for me.

I don't drink beer out of a can and I don't drink Bud/MGD/Coors or any other massed produced beer (except Sam Adam's).

I like Red Hook, Anchor Steam, Red Tail...there are many that are very good. Actually, a nice amber ale is my favorite.

But I rarely drink alcohol. Some red wine with dinner now and again is nice. And every once in a blue moon, I will have a martini--but that is really an acquired taste and something that is very infrequent. I can't even imagine drinking liquor every single day on a cruise....but that's just me.

Is there any packages out there for the beer drinkers?

If not a package, per se, are there any in room set ups for beer? The only set up I see if for alcohol. I once took a small bottle of vodka with me on a cruise years ago...never even opened it up in 14 days! I no longer do that because I never drink it and we used to schlep it back home!

Anyway, I would really like to know how to get a few good beers in my room for the balcony....this was never an issue with Princess. And I don't want to leave my room and go find a bar just to get a bottle of beer and bring it back to my room. It won't even be cold by the time I get back to the cabin!

This can't be a foreign request....am I missing something?

Dawn

There are a couple of threads, including a sticky, that tell what is included in the various packages. There is not a specific beer package, although a number of the beers are included in the classic and premium packages.

Depending on what you prefer, there is an electric cooler in your stateroom. It didn't seem like a full fridge, but was certainly cool. It had a selection of drinks, including some beers. If there is something on board you see and want, I'm sure you cabin attendant can get it for you. Those are not included in the package, but they are in your room.

You can always pick up one as you are on the way back to the room and put it in the cooler a couple of times per day.

If you ask nicely, the attendant may be willing to remove the items already there from your stateroom so you don't confuse what is yours with what is theirs.

We've traveled mostly with Princess/RCCL, and never had the option of a beverage package that included alcohol.

I am the only one that drinks so it would be just for me.

I don't drink beer out of a can and I don't drink Bud/MGD/Coors or any other massed produced beer (except Sam Adam's).

I like Red Hook, Anchor Steam, Red Tail...there are many that are very good. Actually, a nice amber ale is my favorite.

But I rarely drink alcohol. Some red wine with dinner now and again is nice. And every once in a blue moon, I will have a martini--but that is really an acquired taste and something that is very infrequent. I can't even imagine drinking liquor every single day on a cruise....but that's just me.

Is there any packages out there for the beer drinkers?

If not a package, per se, are there any in room set ups for beer? The only set up I see if for alcohol. I once took a small bottle of vodka with me on a cruise years ago...never even opened it up in 14 days! I no longer do that because I never drink it and we used to schlep it back home!

Anyway, I would really like to know how to get a few good beers in my room for the balcony....this was never an issue with Princess. And I don't want to leave my room and go find a bar just to get a bottle of beer and bring it back to my room. It won't even be cold by the time I get back to the cabin!

This can't be a foreign request....am I missing something?

Dawn

Hi Kymbakitty,

NO Beer Packages... or Stateroom Set-Ups.

BUT a good many beers are covered (up to $ 5 each) under the Classic Alcohol Package ($ 44 US a day PLUS 15% Tip). This would also allow you to drink anything up to $ 8 per pour / glass... so a cocktail now and then, and some wines.

Would it be worth it to you, as with everything else you'd "have to do the math" to see if there is value in it based on your own preferences and drinking habits.

Generally speaking one would have to drink many beers a day plus consume other non-alcoholic items (bottled water - pop - premium teas & coffees - freshed squeezed juice - ice caps etc) to find value in a package.

Otherwise you might want to go ala carte... or maybe purchase a "beer bucket" and then have them opened one at a time... you can stockpile the rest in your stateroom.

Cheers!

EDIT - Here is the link to the *2012 Overview of the Drinks Packages* as prepared by SARAFINADH, it shows all the items and their individual costs, as well as explaining how the packages work... a good starting point for anyone considering a Beverage Package = http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1571274

There are a couple of threads, including a sticky, that tell what is included in the various packages. There is not a specific beer package, although a number of the beers are included in the classic and premium packages.

Depending on what you prefer, there is an electric cooler in your stateroom. It didn't seem like a full fridge, but was certainly cool. It had a selection of drinks, including some beers. If there is something on board you see and want, I'm sure you cabin attendant can get it for you. Those are not included in the package, but they are in your room.

You can always pick up one as you are on the way back to the room and put it in the cooler a couple of times per day.

If you ask nicely, the attendant may be willing to remove the items already there from your stateroom so you don't confuse what is yours with what is theirs.

I have read posts and sticky's galore before posting my question.

Not finding my specific desire for beer, I thought I would post the question and maybe some other beer drinkers would know or have asked a similar question.

Because I seldom drink alcohol...on sea or on land, any alcohol package would be pure overkill. That's why I was really trying to find something about a beer set up in room. I don't mind paying for it....I just don't want to travel down to a bar every time I want a beer.

I have also read many, many times that the refrigerators are really just coolers and no where near cold enough for brew.

Thank you.

As another poster stated, there is no stateroom set up for beers - only for liquor. Your best option will be to order a la carte at bars. While the mini fridges are coolers, it sounds like you prefer quality beer versus mass produced. In general good quality beer is not meant to be consumed ice cold, but just chilled (some beer is even meant to be consumed at or near room temperature), so the cooler should be fine. If you do prefer the beer to be real cold, then ask your room steward for a sparkling wine type bucket for your stateroom and ask her/him to keep it on ice. You should be able to fit a few brewskis in the bucket.

As another poster stated, there is no stateroom set up for beers - only for liquor. Your best option will be to order a la carte at bars. While the mini fridges are coolers, it sounds like you prefer quality beer versus mass produced. In general good quality beer is not meant to be consumed ice cold, but just chilled (some beer is even meant to be consumed at or near room temperature), so the cooler should be fine. If you do prefer the beer to be real cold, then ask your room steward for a sparkling wine type bucket for your stateroom and ask her/him to keep it on ice. You should be able to fit a few brewskis in the bucket.

Yeah....I really think most beer lovers prefer a really cold beer....even the hard core beer drinkers.

When we want to Ireland a few years ago, I was thrilled to find that very few pubs even sold the beer at the room temperatures. We saw one here or there (we did not spend much time in touristy location), but it wasn't even the norm anymore....even in Ireland. I even like a nice chilled mug out of the freezer.

I have a small cooler for my beer for cruises. I just keep plenty of ice in it so I have a nice, cold beer on ice anytime I want.

I just have to figure out how to get the beer in the room--ha!

Thanks all.

:-)

At the outdoor bars, probably pool bar and aft bar, during certain hours they'll probably have a beer special good on all beers offered. It is a bucket of beer special which is buy a certain number and get a certain number. I don't recall specifics as I'm not a big beer drinker but a lot of friends were getting premium beers out at the aft deck late afternoons and taking some back to the cabin with them. At least this is something to check out.

At the outdoor bars, probably pool bar and aft bar, during certain hours they'll probably have a beer special good on all beers offered. It is a bucket of beer special which is buy a certain number and get a certain number. I don't recall specifics as I'm not a big beer drinker but a lot of friends were getting premium beers out at the aft deck late afternoons and taking some back to the cabin with them. At least this is something to check out.

Most definitely....I think that will be the bet way to accomplish the task at hand....so long as they don't open every single bottle. If I have to pay $35+ for a six pack, I want

o drink them when they are first opened. At most, very most, I'll drink 3 beers....but usually just a beer or two. As I get older, I never want to feel like cr*p the next day as a result of alcohol....not worth it to me!

Thanks.

:-)

Archived