Carnival luggage tags while flying

I was wondering how people normally attach luggage tags to their bags if they're flying it to the port of embarkation (in my case, it'd be Miami). Do people attach the luggage tags to their bags prior to checking them for the flight, along with the airline's luggage tags? Or do they keep them in their carry-on and attach it to their bags after landing and going through baggage claim?

Obviously, each option has its pros and cons. Attaching the Carnival tags makes the bags easier to identify, as well as giving the airline the ability to forward the bags to the ship should they become lost (not that I'd trust them to actually do it, but the thought is nice). It also makes baggage claim, the second-most-unpleasant part of flying (the first is TSA), a little more tolerable. On the other hand, you're telling the general public exactly where you'll be during the cruise. Not the most secure thing to do, particularly for solo cruisers.

So, which one is more common? Attach the Carnival luggage tags pre-flight or post-flight?

I was wondering how people normally attach luggage tags to their bags if they're flying it to the port of embarkation (in my case, it'd be Miami). Do people attach the luggage tags to their bags prior to checking them for the flight, along with the airline's luggage tags? Or do they keep them in their carry-on and attach it to their bags after landing and going through baggage claim?

Obviously, each option has its pros and cons. Attaching the Carnival tags makes the bags easier to identify, as well as giving the airline the ability to forward the bags to the ship should they become lost (not that I'd trust them to actually do it, but the thought is nice). It also makes baggage claim, the second-most-unpleasant part of flying (the first is TSA), a little more tolerable. On the other hand, you're telling the general public exactly where you'll be during the cruise. Not the most secure thing to do, particularly for solo cruisers.

So, which one is more common? Attach the Carnival luggage tags pre-flight or post-flight?

Definately post flight !!!!!!!

Never have attached before - we attach ours at the hotel just before leaving for the port. I laminate them, hole punch and take zip ties to attach before leaving hotel. I never want to confuse the airline any more than they already are confused - if they can't figure out how to get from one air port to the other then I won't trust them to get the luggage to the ship. Less is better.

I cut off my airline tags when I get to our precruise destination. (Hotel, in-laws, etc) The morning of the cruise, I attach my pre-laminated(with packing tape) with zip ties to our bags. (I forgot one time, and really had to hustle when we got to the port!)

I usually attach them after the flight when I recover my bags. I don't want them to fall off during the flight. Have you ever seen they way they thorw your suitcases around when they put them into the plane?:eek:

I attach our "specific" cruise tags (with cabin # etc) just before we leave the pre-cruise hotel. Mine too are laminated, but I just attach them with a stapler (mini).

I have however created business card sized luggage tags with our name and address on one side, and a picture of the Carnival Miracle (our favourite ship) on the front, which is laminated using the pre-cut laminating pouches.

I am actually still using the ones I originally created in 2008 for our very first cruise ! They have held up very well, and my son uses his when flying back and forth between Red Deer Alberta, and our home in Ontario...he hasn't lost one yet !

We also ensure there is another one of these inside each of the bags...just in case we lose it .

i normally will print and laminate our tags, and then attach them right before we leave pre cruise hotel for the pier.

this past cruise, we went straight from the airport to the pier and i did not do this. i did have the tags printed out and in my handy dandy notebook however and the porter pulled out his stapler and attached the tags right there. it was no problem.

After the flight.:)

After our flight got in late at night and couldn't get our hands on a stapler in the am..we hoped that the luggage porters at the terminal could help us out...and they did. No attitude, we just apologized that we couldn't get them on prior and they smiled and said not a problem with stapler in hand.

Before I even leave the house, I "laminate" mine with clear packing tape, cut a small slit in them, then scotch tape a small zip tie to each. Then, just before we head for the port, I attach the tag(s) with said zip ties.;)

I've never flown to a cruise but I can provide some insight as to what happens in baggage handling. I wouldn't do it. The baggage handlers are putting bags left and right making sure they get on the correct plane. If there's too much clutter on the handle, they may misread the tag and it may get on the wrong plane. Read the article about baggage in my signature. It should answer a couple of your questions.

Sent from my iPhone 4S using Tapatalk

Archived