Falklands - Volunteer Point vs Bluff Cove??

goodroe

Wondering if there are recommendations for one tour over the other. TripAdvisor rates Volunteer Point as #1 and Bluff Cove - #2. I know

that it is always problematic whether the ship lands or not, but want to plan for it. Thanks.

I can not speak about Volunteer Point but I do highly recommend Bluff Cove. We went there and loved it. From what I understand it is a much shorter trip than to Volunteer Point.

I'm sure you will enjoy which ever you choose. Here is the web site for Bluff Cove:

http://falklandpenguins.com/tour.asp

http://falklandpenguins.com/

And, be sure and check out the free homemade desserts the local ladies serve:

http://falklandpenguins.com/facilities.asp

Thank you. I have emailed them to see how long is the tour since our stop there is short. Have read some great comments about Bluff Cove

and am looking forward to it. Keeping my fingers crossed that we will be able to stop in the Falklands. I know there are lots of penguins before we even get there, but am also looking forward seeing the Falklands and having some English tea.

We went to the penguin rookery at Sparrow Cove. The biggest plus for this excursion was that we were picked up by boat from the Star and did not have to dock in Stanley until we went in later to walk the town and shop the shop! This trip was about 3 hours and it consisted of a short trip across the harbor to the waiting land rovers and then off cross country with a bounce and a jump. There were only 8 in the car and while not a luxury car it was very powerful and took us places I would not have driven (creeks, rock ridges,sod hills:p). It was wonderful when we got to the penguins. You actually get very close to them and they ask that you respect the penguins space because you could reach out and touch them. Hot tea and homemade cookies were offered. The ride is rough and bumpy but the walking was fairly easy. It was a nice opportunity to chat with the locals who were on the boats and at the rookery. This was a Princess excursion. Because the ship holds more people than the Falklands I would not rely on walking off and getting a tour (though many claim they do so it didn't look likely to me). Also all the penguins are on private land and tour guides can't just take you off to see the penguins because they are not on public lands.

We took the Patrick Watts tour to Volunteer Point and it was fantastic. The ride is something else and yes it does take a bit longer but you see more of the Island that way. There are also more penguins at Volunteer Point than at the other spots. There must have been over 500 King penguins as well as Magdellen and one other type that I can't remember the name of. If you crouched down on the ground, the penguins would walk right up to you. Allowed for some fantastic pictures. Patrick Watts also gives you a CD with some incredible pictures of the Falkland Islands as well as pictures of the penguins and other birds found there. They provide you with a lunch as well. We had time to shop afterwards if you wanted too.

Archived