Aft penthouses vs. forward penthouses on the Jewel?

suometar

Would appreciate and information about aft vs forward penthouses. The forward ones are priced higher than the aft. It looks as if they are bigger Are the balconies also bigger? Can the forward balconies be used during sailing? I believe someone posted about forward balconies on the Star, I was wondering if the same is true of the Jewel. TIA!

Would appreciate and information about aft vs forward penthouses. The forward ones are priced higher than the aft. It looks as if they are bigger Are the balconies also bigger? Can the forward balconies be used during sailing? I believe someone posted about forward balconies on the Star, I was wondering if the same is true of the Jewel. TIA!

We have sailed in front and rear penthouses, yes the front penthouse cabin and balcony are bigger, you can not use the balcony when sailing due to the strong winds with the ship sailing. Also the drapes must stay closed after dark due to the light shining into the bridge, located above your cabin. Hope this helps.

Well, not exactly right! We used our forward balcony both in port and underway. The only small issue with the wind was opening the door at times. We sat outside for many hours underway and the wind was never a bother while sitting down and very little bother standing up. The ship is moving about 20 mph or so and that is the wind you feel most of the time. Depending on where you are with a forward cabin whether you have to have your drapes closed at night. We shut off the living room lights and kept the drapes open with no bother. Concierge checked it out and said it was fine. Captain never knocked on our door and asked us to close them, so I guess we were ok?;)

We have sailed in front and rear penthouses, yes the front penthouse cabin and balcony are bigger, you can not use the balcony when sailing due to the strong winds with the ship sailing. Also the drapes must stay closed after dark due to the light shining into the bridge, located above your cabin. Hope this helps.

Wrong about not being able to use them when sailing. We were in a foreward and unless you STOOD at the VERY FRONT the wind is deflected over you by the design of the ship. That said the area of the forward balcony is 2 to 3 times larger than most of the aft balcony's. You can sit out there in port and have a great time. A forward penthouse will have 2 loungers, a samll table and 2 chairs. You can also take great photos entering every port or going down the Hudson to sea. that you won't have in an aft penthouse.

We had Fwd Penthouse 10000 on the Jewel last year and my sister and her husband had Aft Penthouse 9670. In #10000, the room and balcony were so much bigger, that my sis & BIL regretted having theirs. Their balcony was so tiny, for a suite. Depending on your preference, the balcony is usable throughout the whole cruise. We truly enjoyed it.

I've had the penthouse aft 2x on the Dawn and loved it. Yes the balconies are smaller, but it was heaven sitting out there. Very private.

Had a corner unit and one time the side door was open and we walked

around it. So cool! They do have larger balconies back there a floor above on 9 & 10 I believe.

We also had the OS on the Jewel with two balconies and really didn't

use the front that much. Preferred the side balcony.

This was in December our of NY and I did hang out on the front balcony until we reached the Verrazano Bridge and we also went out there when we were at Stirrup Cay when a rocket was being launched. AWESOME!! Had our butler come out and watch it also. Nice watching his reaction.

For the aft, on most ships the balconies on deck 10 will be the largest. We had room for 2 loungers, 2 small chairs and a small table on the Star. I saw the forward PH balconies though and they are quite a bit larger. I would like either because the wind doesn't bother me. If it were a cruise during a really hot time I would probably like the forward more than the aft we had because I bet the aft can get hot when it's really hot outside.

Archived