Uh oh...OS 1620 LOS....cancel?

Cr*p.....I've been really busy planning our TA cruise on "X" in less that five weeks.

Anyway, we've had our fall TA booked on the LOS on 10/27/12, and we selected OS 1620.

Apparently, I didn't do enough research because it appears the noise in the wee early morning is unbearable. I'm an early riser...but DH is NOT. It is just one of the reasons we never use cruise line tours because DH's idea of a relaxing vacation does not begin before 9:00 am!

Is this still an issue? I've seen other cases where improvements were made over time given the severity of the complaints, and it's been quite some time since the last post on 1620. At least the ones I could find.

I'd hate to give up this great suite....but if DH is going to be woken out of a dead sleep every single morning, it's just not worth it. I could find a similar cruise during that time and I have plenty of time to cancel.

Any recent info would be appreciate.

:-)

I did a search in this forum and the threads were how horribly noisy this suite was with the lounge chairs scrapping on the floor one deck up.....pretty bad too.

I would copy the link to the thread but I'm on my tablet and have no clue how to do that....suffice it to say, it was pretty bad for me to consider cancelling.

But this is music to my ears and would love to have you report back!

Thanks!

Dawn

This room is fine, you'll have more people ring the doorbell than any noise from above.

Wow.....sure is different from what I read. Very interesting.

Well, it could be as I mentioned earlier. It could have been really bad and the complaints may have prompted some sort of band-aid because the posts were not recent.

Sure am glad to her this.....really thought we may need to cancel.

Thanks!!!

We usually stay in the Royal Suite on Voyager Class (room 1620) and Freedom Class (room 1640) -- deck ten under the pool deck.

We've never heard any noise coming from above.

But the other poster is absolutely right -- sometimes there are infantile children who run down the halls and ring the doorbell and disappear. You probably won't have this problem on a Trans-Atlantic cruise (only if there are infantile adults).

Don't sweat it -- just have a good time.

Kind regards,

Gunther and Uta

Even if this were a potential problem with the cabin, how much deck chair noise would one possibly expect early in the morning on a transatlantic in late October/November:confused:

I could be wrong, but regardless of the weather, those loungers are put away and put back out every day.

I think I'm going to get those posts because they were very strong. I'll just have to figure out how to repost under this thread.

What about getting hubby a "sound machine" which can be set to rain, seaside, just white sound etc. You can get them quite small and they do wonders. I would not travel without mine.

We have used one for years....

But one of those posts stated that she put her sound machine on her PILLOW and it still didn't matter.

The posts seem very serious and legit. I'm thinking that just maybe, the issue has been resolved. As the one poster said, it was pretty ridiculous to have that kind of noise on top of an owner's suite. And on at least a coupe posts, it was so loud that the passengers went to the purser's desk.

Maybe the issue was resolved. That would be great!

What about getting hubby a "sound machine" which can be set to rain, seaside, just white sound etc. You can get them quite small and they do wonders. I would not travel without mine.

We always bring a sound machine for the kids. I swear my daughter could sleep through an air horn if it's set on crashing waves.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Take the 15 Night Transatlantic Cruise on Holland America Ryndam

Friday, October 26, 2012 Barcelona, Spain -- 05:00 PM

Saturday, October 27, 2012 At Sea -- --

Sunday, October 28, 2012 Malaga, Spain 08:00 AM 06:00 PM

Monday, October 29, 2012 Cadiz (seville), Spain 08:00 AM 08:00 PM

Tuesday, October 30, 2012 Portimao, Portugal 08:00 AM 05:00 PM

Wednesday, October 31, 2012 Lisbon, Portugal 08:00 AM 05:00 PM

Thursday, November 1, 2012 At Sea -- --

Friday, November 2, 2012 Funchal (madeira), Portugal 08:00 AM 02:00 PM

Saturday, November 3, 2012 At Sea -- --

Sunday, November 4, 2012 At Sea -- --

Monday, November 5, 2012 At Sea -- --

Tuesday, November 6, 2012 At Sea -- --

Wednesday, November 7, 2012 At Sea -- --

Thursday, November 8, 2012 At Sea -- --

Friday, November 9, 2012 At Sea -- --

Saturday, November 10, 2012 Fort Lauderdale, Florida 07:00 AM --

Category S.......about $8200.00 for 2

http://www.icruise.com/c/stateroom-popup.php?ShipID=96&CategoryCode=S

Jimbo:)

Take the 15 Night Transatlantic Cruise on Holland America Ryndam

Friday, October 26, 2012 Barcelona, Spain -- 05:00 PM

Saturday, October 27, 2012 At Sea -- --

Sunday, October 28, 2012 Malaga, Spain 08:00 AM 06:00 PM

Monday, October 29, 2012 Cadiz (seville), Spain 08:00 AM 08:00 PM

Tuesday, October 30, 2012 Portimao, Portugal 08:00 AM 05:00 PM

Wednesday, October 31, 2012 Lisbon, Portugal 08:00 AM 05:00 PM

Thursday, November 1, 2012 At Sea -- --

Friday, November 2, 2012 Funchal (madeira), Portugal 08:00 AM 02:00 PM

Saturday, November 3, 2012 At Sea -- --

Sunday, November 4, 2012 At Sea -- --

Monday, November 5, 2012 At Sea -- --

Tuesday, November 6, 2012 At Sea -- --

Wednesday, November 7, 2012 At Sea -- --

Thursday, November 8, 2012 At Sea -- --

Friday, November 9, 2012 At Sea -- --

Saturday, November 10, 2012 Fort Lauderdale, Florida 07:00 AM --

Category S.......about $8200.00 for 2

http://www.icruise.com/c/stateroom-popup.php?ShipID=96&CategoryCode=S

Jimbo:)

I'm hoping to hear back from the passenger that's going to be in that suite next week! It seems that this issue may have been resolved, which would be great.

We got a great rate on this TA. It's our 3rd TA and this one (LOS) will be our 4th. We just love the sea days.

Anyway, we got a great price on this OS....$6400 total. Plus I have OBC, which will be nice. The JS's are even more than that now!

We'll be on the Solstice for a steal of a deal ($999 each), but only in an AC.

We are on your sailing and have OS 1348. I'd be happy

to trade with you. Let me know if that helps.

Anita

That was so very kind of you to offer, but DH is adamant that he is on the port side (we had to be on Starboard for our TA in April).

He doesn't care much about some of the choices made for our cruises--but balcony size and a specific side of the ship, depending on itinerary, is his top 2. One time we couldn't book because they didn't have any cabins left on the side he wanted. It doesn't make any difference to me, but he loves to be out on the balcony and it is a high priority for him.

I think we'll be fine. If noise was as much as an issue in this cabin as reported in 2010, you (I) wouldn't be seeing recent posts suggesting that noise was not an issue. Perhaps they added some insulation.

Thank you...very sweet.

:)

We have been in GS 1268 for 3 cruises now and that is almost right below the hot tub & pool area on the FOS. I'am a light sleeper and only one time was I awaken and guess what--someone ringing the doorbell!:mad: Otherwise I do bring earplugs and sleeping pills, but have not used them except maybe one or two nights out of all the cruises we've taken.

If your not comfortable with the location it will be hard to find a suite as nice as the OS! I think from what other posters have said-doesn't "sound" like you will have much of a noise problem!;)

Have a great cruise!!

We had this issue years ago. I was mildly annoyed until I realized what it was. The attendents dragged the lounges across the deck. But it didn;;t last long and I just turned over and went back to sleep. If you know it's coming, then you don't get as annoyed. And, as I said, it was over quickly.

I read all those posts too, back in the day. I was truly worried and I agonized over the choice of cabin. Then I booked the cabin anyway (among other things, it was the only OS left on our desired sail date! ... and our very first OS, period).

And you know what? We didn't hear a THING out of the ordinary. We slept great and we enjoyed every minute spend in that beautiful cabin and/or on its balcony!

My husband, whose idea of vacation also involves sleeping till noon, did so undisturbed. I was more of an early sleeper/riser (i.e. circa 1am to 9am) and also had no problems. I really do think some people are literally 100 times more sensitive to certain stimuli than others.

Crazily enough, in 14 cruises (including 8 on RCCL, about half of which were in an OS -- right by the stairs/elevator banks), we only ever had our doorbell rung twice by rapscallions! It was almost disappointing, since this too was a scourge I read so much about here on these very pages.

If I were you, I would book without another moment's thought. Unless you are literally someone who fights for every moment's sleep at night. In which case, many, many natural ship noises will disturb you (random and unidentified creaking, squeaking, footsteps, foghorns, flushing toilets somewhere, etc. etc. etc.).

• 2 weeks later...

Just returned home from our sailing in Liberty's OS 1620. Rest assured. You have nothing to worry about. Noise from the above deck was very, very minimal and generally not heard until 8 am. It's an amazing stateroom and you will love it.

We were in GS 1560 about a month ago and that cabin was definitely a bit noisy, but OS 1620 was perfect.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just returned home from our sailing in Liberty's OS 1620. Rest assured. You have nothing to worry about. Noise from the above deck was very, very minimal and generally not heard until 8 am. It's an amazing stateroom and you will love it.

We were in GS 1560 about a month ago and that cabin was definitely a bit noisy, but OS 1620 was perfect.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm so glad you posted upon your return! I've been hoping that you would report back.

I'm sticking with that suite. The last time we had anything even remotely close to that OS was an OS on the Grandeur....I believe 8002. But it seems like the LOS OS's are much nicer. Although I also remember getting such a great price on that OS ($1,049 pp including port/taxes) that we forfeited our $900 deposit to rebook and get an OS!

Thanks!

Archived