3 days in NYC - what to do

2cruisecats

I had forgotten that I had posted on here ! :o Thank ya'll so much for the wonderful advice ya'll have given. July seems so long, but maybe it will get here faster than it seems. ;) Does anyone know about the Confort Inn ? We booked it for in case we don't find anything a little less expensive, but I would prefer to stay closer to Times Square. It is like $225 a night. Is that a fair amount to pay for a Confort Inn. Also, did they have free Wi-fi at the Warwick ? Thanks again for taking thetime to help us out. Janice

I am also interested in hearing if anyone has stayed at the Comfort on 44th. Like the above poster I booked unless I hear something to change my mind. There did not seem to be any "bargains" in September. Suggestions would be welcome.

At night, and if you enjoy adult libations, albeit at a hefty price, visit one or both of NY's old world bars / lounges. The King Cole bar at the St. Regis hotel, and Bemelman's bar at the Carlyle hotel. They are both legendary.

Here's Bemelman's:

bemelmans_v1_460x285.jpg

Here's the King Cole:

favorite_hotel_bars_king_cole.jpg

The King Cole is mid-town and Bemelman's is upper east side.

Without a doubt, Cafe Carlisle is great Jazz!! On Monday evenings, you may even be able to catch Woody Allen's band!

I would not miss the World Trade Center Memorial. Absolutely moving. Go to their website for free reservations first.

Brunch in the Rainbow Room at Rockefeller Center is divine!

The statue of liberty is great, but a lot if security lines and the ride over is long. I would choose that or the WTC memorial, but both would be exhausting!

Don't miss a Broadway Show!! Jersey Boys, Wicked, etc! The best to see live theater on Broadway.

For a view, I would suggest getting an all day pass at the top of the rock. You can see the empire state building both in the morning and at night for the price of 1 ticket! Plus, you have a much better view of central park from there than from the empire state building.

NYC is very safe now. Just walk with confidence! No one will bother you. A great tip we were told is to not go above 80th street, especially at night. Also, best to stay out of the park at night.

Have a great time! My favorite place to visit!!!!! (we go several times a year!)

---

I am here: http://tapatalk.com/map.php?jzoaf1

Thanks all for your suggestions. We like to tour cities, museums, historical sites and take in the local music/theatre scene and are rather fond of jazz. Sometimes we do city tours, other times walking tours. We walked Venice following the places in a fav mystery series and in Hong Kong we followed the tour offices walking tour (and got lost at least twice!). In Madrid we went to the galleries -- too hot to walk. I guess it depends on the weather and what is on and how safe the city is. It is hard to believe we've never made it to New York, so close yet ..... We plan to spend time in Central Park and go to Grand Central and maybe walk the Brooklyn Bridge?? Someone suggested the hop-on hop-off buses. I just never had NYC on "my list" so I'm open to all ideas. I've 2 weeks to get my NYC plan together!

This site may be helpful, if you are still making plans...

http://www.mvpny.net/

NYC is very safe now. Just walk with confidence! No one will bother you. A great tip we were told is to not go above 80th street, especially at night. Also, best to stay out of the park at night.

This is a bit conservative IME, especially on the Upper West Side which is gentrified up to about 125th due to Columbia University. There are some great restaurants on both the UWS and UES which are cheaper than those in Midtown and less touristy.

A general rule of thumb I follow is that so long as there are people around, you are probably okay. If you find yourself walking down a deserted street, that's when you should be a bit more wary.

Archived