Passover aboard ship?

derf5585

Thanks everyone.

I just never knew it by the name Matzoh Brie.

Had fried matzoh for breakfast last Sunday. (With a dash of cinnamon thank-you.)

Salami & egg for dinner tonight - don't know what suffers more - the cholestorol or the intestines (sorry about that.)

EnjoyCruising - I use pure Maple syrup - it may not say KP on the lable, but if it is 100% pure maple syrup, I figure it's fine. No - I do not use Log Cabin, etc, because - as you point out - it has CORN by products.

Enjoycruising - I told my wife we're going to the Noodle in Glenview (by the Metra station) for dinner Sat. night. 7 days is enough, and fresh bread & fresh pasta is what I need.

Guest enjoycruises

I have never been to "The Noodle". Have u been there before? Our fave Italian place is Maggionos. I am sure u know the place even tho I spelled it wrong.

I remember as a child having Fried matza with salami...yum! But, like u said, not good for the cholesterol.

I can't wait for this "holiday of crumbs" to be over with! Even the dog doesn't like it! she does not like the crumbs.

Maggionos is wonderful, but usually too long of a wait for a table, or you have to get there too early.

Yes, we've been to The Noodle several times - always a great dinning experience. Try it some time - you'll love it.

Heal up from your surgery quickly - you have a cruise to go on!!

Guest enjoycruises

I am healing as quickly as I can. My cruise is coming up fast. We sail out of Vancouver to Alaska 6/12/05.

Maybe we will try The Noodle. Thanks for the tip.

Enjoycruises, what part of the country do you live in? We've got a Maggiano's here in Atlanta, and my daughter has been trying to get us there for ages! She's been there several times, and it's her favorite Italian restaurant. As soon as my doctor gives the go-ahead, we'll be heading over there to try it out. If I've learned anything during the past seven months, it's TAKE IT SLOW! I hope you heal well and soon and can enjoy ALL the goodies on your cruise!

Guest enjoycruises

Hi MerryIG. I am in the Chicagoland area. We do enjoy Maggionos BUT like

Love Cruis'n said it is very crowded there and you need to go early in the evening or have reservations way in advance. Another Italian restaurant that we enjoy and that is a chain is Bucca Di Beppo. Do you have that in Atlanta?

Thank you for your good wishes and I in return offer them right back to you.:D I know how hard it is to be sick and on chemo. We found out that my hubby had cancer after we were married 9 months. He had 2 years of very intense chemo and I am SO glad to say that we will be celebrating our 27th anniversary in September. Our cruise in June to Alaska is our 25th anniversary present to one another. We couldn't celebrate our 25th at the right time cause we were celebrating our son's Bar Mitzvah.

I wish good health and happiness to all of you. Do I sound like an "alta cocker"?

Mazel tov, enjoycruises! You and your hubby are truly blessed! We feel blessed, too, as I first had cancer in 1982, and we had 21 years of "smooth sailing" before it returned. Hopefully, it will be gone for GOOD this time! Our next cruise (December 2005) will be a celebration of all the things I missed while I was stuck in the hospital this year - our anniversary, my birthday, etc. We're taking our kids (23 & 26) - it will be their Hanukkah gift this year.

My brother lives in Chicago, and I'll have to get on his case - he never took us Maggiano's when we visited! We DO have a Bucca Di Beppo near us! Wow! It's wonderful! Their portions are so huge, we usually order one entree for every two people. That seems to work out well. There's a really good Asian restaurant in Chicago - I think it's called Big Bowl. There's a big bowl on the roof with chopsticks sticking out of it. I wish we had one of those around here! We've lived here for 17 years, and we're STILL looking for a terrific Chinese restaruant!

Guest enjoycruises

Being in Atlanta you sure are up late or is it up early MerryIG? I have trouble getting to sleep since the surgery, so I stay awake late and then I crash for the duration until morning.

I hope "IT" is gone for you. Hubby's came back within a year and they had to up the treatment. His was in "79. Luckily, they have made many advances since then. Have u been in the hospital for an extended period of time? I am sure your family is looking for good things ahead for all of you. You will have a marvelous time in December.

We too share our food. Portions in Italian restaurants are too big for most people. why is it that the Jews enjoy chinese food so much? We live in the Chicago northwest suburbs and during XMAS and Easter, the Chinese restaurants do quite well in the Jewish communities. We always rent a movie and have Chinese foods on those holidays. My son calls it a "tradition". There is a "Big Bowl" restaurant near my house but I have never been there. It is always crowded there just like at Magiannos.

Does your brother live in Chicago or the suburbs?

"IT" actually came back in September 2003, and I had surgery and then underwent chemo for a while. The chemo was pretty intense, but I got through it - finally - and thought all was well. In September 2004, it was back again - and resistent to the chemo that had been used the year before. More surgery, this time in an area that had been radiated back in 1982. THAT'S what caused the complications - I just didn't heal, especially with the uber-chemo they used this time. I was in the hospital for a solid month with the surgery, then again for two weeks in January, another week in March, and two nights in April. I think - I HOPE - that's history now! Thankfully, the doctor thinks so! (Back in October-November, he wasn't so sure!)

You're from the burbs, aren't you, enjoycruises? My brother lives about 3/4 mile away from Wrigley Field. We used to live about three hours south of Chicago but moved here 17 years ago. Whenever we visit him, he plays a very gracious host and plans some kind of unusual day for us. When we went to Big Bowl, it was out in one of the burbs, though. My husband had a business trip, and I tagged along (it was summer, and school was out - I'm a teacher). We were in a northwest suburb, but I don't remember the name of it. The Big Bowl there was not terribly crowded until about 7:00 PM, and my brother and I had gone at about 6:00 (hubby was stuck in a business dinner). The food was wonderful! In fact, the next night, when hubby was done with the business part of the trip, I took him there so he could try it! Delish!

I'll never forget the story my mother told us of the origin of our favorite Chinese restaurant on Long Island. In the early 1960's two Chinese men visited our synagogue and wanted to speak with the rabbi. They asked him how many families were members of the congregation, and he responded that there were about 600 families. Apparently, that number was sufficient, because they opened up their new Chinese restaurant in a shopping center right around the corner and did wonderful business! In fact, every time we went, we met at least one other family from our synagogue there!

So, okay, you've got the Noodle by you. We've just started getting some noodle houses around here, and my daughter is aching to take me to Mama Fu's. Love Cruis'n, are you also from the Chicago area? I know enjoycruises is, and I'm beginning to get jealous because of all the terrific restaurants you have there!

I am facing a true test today -- we are having a pot-luck at work for a birthday, and one of my co-workers (non-Jewish) has baked a rum cake! Carla's rum cake is far superior to any I have had in the Caribbean...I only hope I am strong enough to make it through the day!

BTW, MerryIG, I just love the story about taking a head count in Shul before opening a Chinese restaurant...when we first moved to northern Minnesota, one of my less enlightened neighbors asked me what special foods Jews eat for Xmas -- my answer: Chinese, of course!

We were in a northwest suburb, but I don't remember the name of it. The Big Bowl there was not terribly crowded until about 7:00 PM, and my brother and I had gone at about 6:00 (hubby was stuck in a business dinner). The food was wonderful! In fact, the next night, when hubby was done with the business part of the trip, I took him there so he could try it! Delish!

You were probably at the Big Bowl at Streets Of Woodfield (in Schaumburg)... Yum! (But I personally like Stir Crazy, at Woodfield Mall, better!!) :D

Guest enjoycruises

Chinese food is a wonderful Easter food for us Jews too.:D

MerryIG:The town you ate in was maybe Lincolnshire and that is just abt 5 minutes from where I am at. There are now a couple of other great restaurants there. If it wasn't there, perhaps it was in Schaumburg a town with lots of shopping. Wow, what better for a Jew.....Chinese food and shopping!

Wow, MerryIG, you sure have been to hell and back! I am glad that u are here and able to talk about it! Best of health to u!!!:) I told you that hubby HAD "IT" but so did his sister, his Mom, the sister's hubby, and 2 of my Uncles. My son is almost 15 and has wanted to be a doctor since he was about 2. He told me when he was a little guy that he wanted to "cure" cancer. I was SO proud of him! I told him how wonderful that would be however, the cure needed to be found BEFORE he had all of his schooling and credentialling. I also told him that unfortunately there are many diseases out there and they need curing too. He still is holding on to being a doctor! (A Jewish mother's dream....My son the doctor! HAHA.)

whale-watcher: What u can do if u are still "keeping" the holiday is to wrap up a piece of the cake and stick it in the freezer until u are able to enjoy it. OR.....just walk by it with your eyes closed! My favorite sweet is lemon squares. I have been dieting and in less than a week I was at 2 places where friends made it. I looked at it and walked away quickly:eek: . I was so proud of myself.:D I know what it tastes like but I want to look better than I do now and that is more important to me.

Guest enjoycruises

Love Crus'n: Two of my friends sent THAT to me. It is quite funny!

The thread won't evaporate unless we let it.

Enjoy... I saw on another page that our ordered an entertainment book for Vancouver. We don't leave till July 20, so when you get back from your June cruise, can you drop me a line and let me know if you got any use out of it?

My personal email is tdwittert@aol.com.

Thanks.

Terry

Yes, MerryIG - I also live in ther NW burbs of Chi-town. And yes, we have a wonderful selection of really great resturants here. If it ain't great (and I don't mean good, I mean :D GREAT) it goes under, because there is so much competition, as well as a huge commnity that supports great resturants. ;)

Guest enjoycruises

Hi Terry. I would be glad to contact u when I get back from the cruise. I am hoping to be able to use several of the coupons since we will be in Vanouver 2 and 1/2 days pre-cruise.

whale-watcher: I know what you mean! I'm still on medical leave from my school, but I stopped by yesterday to take advantage of the book fair (I need to build up my in-class library for the kids for next year!), and they were having a pot luck lunch. One of the teachers tried to get me to visit and have a bite. For two reasons, medical and Pesach, I knew that just going into the teachers' lounge would be WAY too much of a temptation! I told her I appreciated it, but I really needed to get going. I'm making a list, though, of all the terrific foods I want to cook and all the restaurants I want to try once the holiday is over - and once the doctor gives me the go-ahead! I hope you get through the pot luck thing without too much trouble! I like enjoycruises's idea of freezing the cake! (I tucked a potato kugel in the freezer for me to enjoy sometime in the very near - I hope - future!)

Love Cruis'n: I wish that were the case here! There are so many restaurants here, and so many of them are just so-so, that I am amazed that they stay in business! I sometimes wonder if mediocrity has become so acceptable that restaurants don't have to even try to be as good as they should. <sigh> Well, I guess I'll just have to stand in line at Maggiano's or head over to Bucca di Beppo for some good Italian food, and I'll keep searching for good Chinese food.

enjoycruises: I totally agree about the Chinese food holidays! Thank goodness they are open on those days! We've also discovered that Thai food is really popular around here. Especially at my house! We call so often, the Thai take-out place a short distance from here already knows us by our voices! Scary, huh? BTW, be proud of your son! What wonderful aspirations! I'm grateful there are people like your son out there who DO get us through the rough times! I wish nothing but good health and happiness for your and your family! After everything you and your husband have been through, you deserve it! I discovered that going through something like that really does make you appreciate life so much more. We no longer worry about the little things. Life's too short to stress out over things that aren't going to matter in the long run.

Oh! Check out http://www.jibjab.com. They have a funny schtick about matzoh, too!

Guest enjoycruises

The matzoh schtick was cute!

We all need to destress. (Let's take a cruise!) Life is too short. We worry about so much.... we need to take it easy.

Guest enjoycruises

Of course! We can't leave out "any of the tribal members". Let's not forget Na"amat, ORT and those who have yet to join ANY of "our" organizations. We do need to stick together!

When I was a teen I was in "BBG". Lots of fond memories.:)

Archived