Please tell me more about Nautica

travelbug2225

This going to be our first cruise on Oceania. I saw Marina cruise on youtube. She looks very beautiful. I am a foodie and I am so excited about all the restaurants that offer on Marina when I saw it on youtube. But we are booking the Nautica for our 2013 Istanbul to Athens. Will I be disappointed? How the Nautica comparing to Marina?

This going to be our first cruise on Oceania. I saw Marina cruise on youtube. She looks very beautiful. I am a foodie and I am so excited about all the restaurants that offer on Marina when I saw it on youtube. But we are booking the Nautica for our 2013 Istanbul to Athens. Will I be disappointed? How the Nautica comparing to Marina?

Almost every person who reads this forum began cruising with Oceania when "The R Shops", by which we mean the last generation of cruise ship that was built for now defunct Renaissance Cruise Line, made up the entire Oceania fleet.

003310.jpg They are elegant, intimate cruise ships which pack a lot of luxury into their thirty thousand ton footprints. You will be charmed by their intimacy, and enjoy their solid comfort.

010012.jpg010443.jpg

On a Port Intensive Itinerary which most Oceania Cruises are, and yours is, the two specialty restaurants, Polo and Toscana, in addition to the other Dining alternatives, should be enough to rock your "foodie" world. I know that they did mine.

food2.jpg0001OCEANIA-Food-2.jpg_thumb.jpgP1100110+edited.jpg

Many of us (myself included) vastly prefer the R ships like Nautica to the larger M ships like Marina. I have two cruises booked on Nautica going forward. I think you will be very happy on Nautica.

We too enjoy the R ships so much that we have little interest in the two new BIG ones. You'll love Oceania!.:)

Many of us (myself included) vastly prefer the R ships like Nautica to the larger M ships like Marina. I have two cruises booked on Nautica going forward. I think you will be very happy on Nautica.

riviera_13019285010.jpg

It would make sense if the newer ships, based on the design of the Marina, would be called "Marina Class" or the "M Class"; but life being as confusing as it usually is, they are going with "Oceania Class".

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oceania_Cruises

I loved the "old" REN ships which is precisely what Nautica offers. Little has changed from REN (though updating is needed in a number of areas) and the size of the ship makes for a terrific voyage. Public rooms are lovely and the food overall is very good.

We had far better experiences for lunch and dinner in the main dining room than our several diners in the two specialty restaurants. Yes, Polo Grill and Toscana offer gracious settings but their fare is considerably below the variety and meals provided in the main dining room. I say this as an enthusiastic "foodie" - others will disagree. Try all three and decide for yourself.

Common concerns voiced here on Nautica are small but they comport with our Asian cruise in February: cabin shower and bathroom are cramped, water pressure is inadequate, storage is limited and cabin lighting is poor (ship will store excess luggage), internet service is painfully slow and expensive, machine made expressoes and cappucinoes are not as good as "man made" coffee drinks in the Veranda or pool bar (if that is important to you), cocktails in Martinis are superior to those produced elsewhere on the ship.

The concerns are far outweighed by the positives but at least the feedback on this board will prepare you accordingly. Two big take aways I can offer: spirited eagerness of the entire crew to please and be accomodating is exceptional & cuisine and staff in the main dining room far exceeded my pre-cruise expectations.

As already stated, many regular cruisers on Oceania actually prefer the older ships! In our case we find advantages to the "R" ships as well as to the "O" ships. But -- for us -- we give a slight edge to the "R" ships in terms of the total picture.

But I do love the additional dining choices on Marina, and especially the far superior Terrace Cafe. But there's no way the "R" ships can compete in this respect (the buffet restaurant) just because of their far smaller size.

Mura

I would offer my own opinion (contrary to wristband's) that the food in Polo and Toscana were exceptional and in all of the occasions when we ate in either one, the food was superior to the MDR in every way. Not that the MDR is bad, but IMHO the two specialty restaurants were better. They might have some limitations on selection and the selections don't change as they do in the MDR, but we never had a meal in the MDR that measured up the either specialty venue.

And if you are a foodie, then you need to try high tea in Horizons as many days as you are aboard (4 P.M. as I recall).

You won't be disappointed on an R ship.

Do they offer French Macaron on high tea in Horizons ?

Yes, and as well as in the Dining Room, or on the Buffet in the Terrace Restaurant. They are not always available, but they often are.

We have even seen them on the counter in Baristas. :p

121937.jpg

We did that trip last year. It was wonderful!

Archived