Phone rental on Allure

Does anyone know about the phone rentals on Allure? We are traveling with a family group and would like to rent 4 of these. I have read that they are in short supply. How early do we have to get them and where do we get them? Also how well do they work? I have read mixed reviews of this.

Thank you.

How did you keep in touch with each other? I want to share this experience with the kids and have heard walkie talkies are not very reliable.

We bring post it notes & leave messages on the mirror in the room if we miss each other. It worked fine, other than that we just made times & places to meet up/check in.

We had post it notes and Sharpies for every room (4) but the fact is we never used them. We would make meet times for different things and if anything changed call one of the other rooms and leave a phone message. Frankly, there were plenty of times when we did our own thing and went our own way but we were always able to latch up when we needed to do so. We didn't find it as big a problem as we were afraid it would be.

You have two rental options: the Royal Connect phones (formally known as WOW phones, or iPhones) or the "old fashioned" dect phones. As a PP mentioned, the Royal Connect phones are very expensive if lost or damaged (from $500 if damaged to $1000 if lost). I wasn't willing to forego that kind of money on a phone, especially since my tween-ager was getting one. We opted for the dect phones and were very happy. They were $25 per phone to rent, and from $100-$300 if damaged or lost. They worked great and throughout the ship. My only "gripe" is that is was difficult to hear them ring. Solution: turn on vibrate and carry in pocket. It worked, and was very nice to know that our family could keep in touch.

There were several left when we inquired, but they do go quickly. If you want one, then make it a priority to ask the first day (and perhaps as soon as you board).

We rented ours the first and second days. Each cabin can rent them, or you may get them for everyone; however, whoever rents them pays and is responsible for any damage/loss. I rented two - one for my husband and me to share, another for my daughter. The others in our group rented their own. Our entire group had 8 phones, and my uncle received the very last one. His didn't have a charger with it as they were completely out of chargers.

Hope that helps. Keep asking questions, if you have more. :)

• 3 weeks later...

We rented dect phones about 4-5 years back I think on the Liberty (they no longer have them now fyi) and they worked out great. I think it was $25 for the week. My hubby and I shared one and we had rented one for each child.

They worked out great. The funny part was, our number must have been close to an employee on the ship because we got numerous calls for "Humberto" that week. :D We all had a good laugh about it. They were totally worth what we paid for them. Our kids are pretty much grown now so no dect phones but when they were younger, GREAT! :)

Good luck to the OP...:)

Archived