couple of questions re port to zoo

stkdog

how do you arrange for a cab from the port to the zoo?

is it safe to take a cab with small kids ?

what would the approximate cost for 2 adults 2 kids ?

how long would it take to get there ?

thanks

how do you arrange for a cab from the port to the zoo?

is it safe to take a cab with small kids ?

what would the approximate cost for 2 adults 2 kids ?

how long would it take to get there ?

thanks

We arranged a driver beforehand. Belize is a place that you want to have a plan in place, especially with small kids. It is not organized like other placs we have been in regards to taxis. We did cave tubing and then a zoo stop with Nacho and Cynthia at http://www.ncqadventuretours.com/home

It was very costly but we had the cave tubing included. It will probably cost a lot because it is about one hour one way (there is nothing close to where you tender in, which is why we avoid Belize if possible when choosing crusies).

If you send Nacho an email and tell him what you are interested in, he will get right back to you He is a great guy. I think I remember his wife was the driver and he gave us info on the way. She was a great driver but the driving in Belize on those two laned highways with oncoming traffic really frayed my nerves and our family members still talk about it. Not pleasant! Nacho did have a booster car seat for my youngest.

Not sure of the cost of the zoo but they may have a website. It wasn't that much. It is not like any zoo in the US but it was still a fun stop. I wouldn't have driven all that way just for the zoo though. Also, it can get very hot! We lucked out and it was overcasted.

A parrot lovers group went there last year as part of an excursion, and were basically heartbroken at the level of care the caged animals were given... Think carefully about visiting the zoo... it definitely does not compare to anything in the states!!

A parrot lovers group went there last year as part of an excursion, and were basically heartbroken at the level of care the caged animals were given... Think carefully about visiting the zoo... it definitely does not compare to anything in the states!!

Luckily many of the top named zoos in the US don't agree with your "parrot lovers group." This zoo has been honored for too any awards to post for the very reason that you state is a negative - "it definitely does not compare to anything in the states." There couldn't be a zoo like this in the states and the US zoos recognize that and honor what is done in this little zoo.

I guess I was bothered particularly about your secondhand knowledge post about the care of the parrots and cages. Nothing could be further from the truth. Here is one conservation group that honored the Director of the Belize Zoo just last year. If I had read your post I might have skipped the zoo because I have seen way too many mistreated animals in my life and would not have wanted to see any more. Hopefully others won't read your post and take it for fact.

http://cincinnatizoo.org/wp-content/uploads/2011/03/ConsAwardPastRecipients2.pdf

More than anything else, Belize is NOT for everyone. And this "little" zoo only has animals from Belize and in their natural habitat. There isn't a single zoo in the US that can say the same thing. My and many others grandchildren have loved this zoo. Is it a 60 million dollar a year operation? No. But where do you get to see native animals almost in the wild?

Janice

Its been a few years since I was at this zoo but as I recall I really enjoyed it. But it also showed me how old I am getting. I saw several youngsters in red shirts and khaki shorts and told my wife, "I bet some senior group is here touring the zoo." But imagine my surprise when I approached one of those "kids" and found out they were British Special Forces taking jungle training.

Archived