Caribbean Princess delayed!

2theship

Since no one posting here knows exactly what the details of

the problem are, nor what steps must be taken to effect repairs,

how can we know if 18 days is too long, or not long enough

for repairs?

I presume that no want wants the repairs completely quickly

more than the princess bean counters...

Agree. From the little reading I have done, 18 days does not seem unreasonable. Repairs that require dry docking can, in fact, take much longer.

I suspect that not only do we not know whether the April 1 cruise is a go, not even those working on repairs are certain at this point. The situation is not unlike auto repairs. You make your best guess about what is wrong and make the necessary repairs. However, even the best mechanic is sometimes wrong...and the repairs he thought would work, do not fix the problem, necessitating further repairs.

I know it is frustrating, particularly for those scheduled to sail on April 1. I am anxious enough, and we are net scheduled to sail until the end of April. On the other hand, it is virtually impossible to speak with absolute conviction about precisely when repairs will be completed.

Important Information: Caribbean Princess Departing April 1

As you may be aware Caribbean Princess experienced a technical problem which required us to cancel the two previous voyages. The ship has remained in San Juan where specialized technicians have been working day and night on repairs to one of the two propulsion motors. At this time we anticipate the work to be completed on Sunday, April 1. Embarkation on Sunday, April 1 will not be impacted and is scheduled to begin at 1:00 pm. Although we do not expect a delay, it is possible that continued work may require us to make changes to the voyage itinerary. Should there be a delay, we will communicate to you the revised itinerary and details of compensation. We will provide you with updates if we receive new information. As always, the safety of our passengers and crew is our primary concern. We look forward to welcoming you onboard.

Have spoken with Princess in UK less than 2 hours ago. They maintain that the ship will be ready, however I understand that the same assurance were given last week as well. It seems outrageous that with less than 72 hours before we fly out from the UK Princess decide to advise us that there is a problem - e-mail was issued just after 04:00am BST. successful.

Given that the ship has been in dock for over two weeks I would have expected either full repairs and testing to be complete or earlier notice to allow us to cancel and book elsewhere.

We booked nearly two years ago, my wife teaches and cannot holiday again till the end of July. According to Princess if the cruise is cancelled - and notification could be sent as late as Saturday - whilst all monies paid will be refunded and future discounts offered (discounts only valid for bookings made up to 31/12/12) the last batch of refunds to UK passengers were issued by cheque and took 7-10 days to issue. With up to five days to clear the banking system that means not only do you lose your cruise, you don't get your money back till after your intended return.

For those who have maxed out a credit card or spent savings to book a holiday costing in excess of £5,000 (sterling not dollars) you can't even enjoy a holiday elsewhere because Princess have all your money.

I wonder if next time I book they will allow me to pay two weeks late, cancel on them the day before the cruise and get all my money back?

What are the odds???

Would you prefer the cruise be cancelled?

I am on the cruise after this, but had I recieved the same message my answer would be yes.

I could just make plans to go somewhere else rather than wondering if the vacation I had planned would be altered.

I stated a while back about my confidence level regarding being on the ship just after major repairs. I was berated for that concern. I bet some going this week will have some of the same concerns, but I really hope everything goes 100% as planned and everyone has a incredible vacation.

31/12/12[/color]) the last batch of refunds to UK passengers were issued by cheque and took 7-10 days to issue.

Forgive me if I'm mistaken' date=' but isn't the credit good until 31/12/2013?

Jim

Have spoken with Princess in UK less than 2 hours ago. They maintain that the ship will be ready, however I understand that the same assurance were given last week as well. It seems outrageous that with less than 72 hours before we fly out from the UK Princess decide to advise us that there is a problem - e-mail was issued just after 04:00am BST. successful.

Given that the ship has been in dock for over two weeks I would have expected either full repairs and testing to be complete or earlier notice to allow us to cancel and book elsewhere.

We booked nearly two years ago, my wife teaches and cannot holiday again till the end of July. According to Princess if the cruise is cancelled - and notification could be sent as late as Saturday - whilst all monies paid will be refunded and future discounts offered (discounts only valid for bookings made up to 31/12/12) the last batch of refunds to UK passengers were issued by cheque and took 7-10 days to issue. With up to five days to clear the banking system that means not only do you lose your cruise, you don't get your money back till after your intended return.

For those who have maxed out a credit card or spent savings to book a holiday costing in excess of £5,000 (sterling not dollars) you can't even enjoy a holiday elsewhere because Princess have all your money.

I wonder if next time I book they will allow me to pay two weeks late, cancel on them the day before the cruise and get all my money back?

What are the odds???

For those who have maxed out credit cards to go on a cruise, I say, "you shouldn't be cruising with maxed out credit cards". To those that have not yet missed their cruise and are antsy about the lack of notification, I say, "don't complain until you have something to complain about".

I was on the 3/11 cruise to nowhere and though I would have preferred to have been stranded in St. Martin, San Juan isn't a bad place. I just have to say, "the worst day on vacation is better than the best day at work". I got my credit card reimbursed before I got off the ship (Mar 17), so don't complain about something you know nothing about.

For those who have maxed out credit cards to go on a cruise, I say, "you shouldn't be cruising with maxed out credit cards". To those that have not yet missed their cruise and are antsy about the lack of notification, I say, "don't complain until you have something to complain about".

I was on the 3/11 cruise to nowhere and though I would have preferred to have been stranded in St. Martin, San Juan isn't a bad place. I just have to say, "the worst day on vacation is better than the best day at work". I got my credit card reimbursed before I got off the ship (Mar 17), so don't complain about something you know nothing about.

I agree totally that maxing out a credit card is very naive, but many do it. The point being that if you have no access to further funds regardless of how you have chosen to pay for your holiday, then you are pretty much screwed if they cancel 24-48 hours before you travel. Bearing in mind you were fortunate/unfortunate enough to be on board when the problems arose you were in a good position compared to those waiting at home. You got part of the promised cruise, refunds and future credit without missing your vacation.

We have been advised that UK pasengers who are advised of cancellation prior to travelling to San Juan will receive a cheque posted refund.

Furthermore if the call goes out to cancel the 1st April cruise Princess in the UK have REFUSED to release any contingency arrangements for people booked on a two week package. So we are tied into a deal - which we would love to complete - but knowing a call could come in and cancel the trip. This would mean trying to get an alternative vacation during the Easter school break. We are fortunate enough to have funds available to go elsewhere in that event but I can imagine many haven't.

So rather that suggest "don't complain......." you don't know the UK arrangements and I would be delighted to know why you consider non-disclosure of information by Princess to be such an honourable way to trade.

A reputable company should be advising:-

1. Ship OK - no problems look forward to be seeing you.

2. Minor problems - you can cancel or accept discounts/refunds etc should the problems affect your vacation.

3. Sailing in doubt - if you wish to travel and the ship is unavailable we will make alternative arrangements in San Juan until it is.

4. If any of the 2 or 3 above is unacceptable, you can have a full refund immediately.

That way people can make an informed choice and Princess would be delivering proper Customer Service - bear in mind I spoke to them again last night (6pm BST) and they have no further information.

"A little empathy goes a long way to avoiding conflict" - Anon.

What do you think the on-board staff have been doing the last few weeks?

A lot of cleaning?

Good chance to get set to get a 100% on your next inspection.

Even if reapirs are done, they maybe limited in speed.

Reminds me of the NCL Jewel azipod bearing problem. At high speed the entire ship would shake. The repair required a drydock, no other way to do it.

NCL kept all curises, but ran at lower speeds, changing arrival times, length in ports and even ports of calls for months until they dry docked the ship.

Just some thoughts.

2. Minor problems - you can cancel or accept discounts/refunds etc should the problems affect your vacation.

3. Sailing in doubt - if you wish to travel and the ship is unavailable we will make alternative arrangements in San Juan until it is.

4. If any of the 2 or 3 above is unacceptable, you can have a full refund immediately.

That way people can make an informed choice and Princess would be delivering proper Customer Service - bear in mind I spoke to them again last night (6pm BST) and they have no further information.

"A little empathy goes a long way to avoiding conflict" - Anon.

Unfortunatley ship happens. :(

Sometimes its not possible to predict the future.

That way people can make an informed choice and Princess would be delivering proper Customer Service

Exactly! I don't understand why they aren't doing the above, Putting their heads in the sand and hoping for the best hasn't been working well so far.

Would the insurance policy that is reimbursing the company cover this? Shareholders are not going to be happy if the company makes a decision that isn't covered and hits the bottom line hard.

I'm sure there is someone here that is an expert on the insurance policy the company has and can tell us what is covered.

What do you think the on-board staff have been doing the last few weeks?

Well, it looks like they were watching movies last night. The ship is in port- all lit up and we could see the big screen on from our hotel room yesterday evening

This is posted on the upcoming roll calls. :):):)

Received this from Princess around 1:30 am EST:

UPDATED INFORMATION: CARIBBEAN PRINCESS DEPARTING APRIL 1

We are pleased to advise repairs to Caribbean Princess' port propulsion motor have been completed.

Embarkation will begin on schedule at 1:00 pm and we plan to sail on time. There are no planned changes to your cruise itinerary.

We look forward to welcoming you onboard.

To all those sailing on the CB tomorrow, I wish you all a very safe and fun journey. I am glad to hear that the CB is ready to sail. Of course, as with anything this saying is often true, "The best laid plans of mice and men often go astray." Well my fondest wish is that none of that rings true for each of you on this sailing. Okay, maybe some of you can stray on the islands, or at a bar, or shopping, but that's the only "astray" news I want to hear.:p

Good luck to you and enjoy your cruise.

"The best laid plans of mice and men often go astray."

Or in the original dialect by the great Robert Burns.

But, Mousie, thou art no thy lane [you aren't alone]

In proving foresight may be vain:

The best laid schemes o' mice an' men

Gang aft a-gley, [often go awry]

An' lea'e us nought but grief an' pain,

For promised joy.

Archived