Airline for the big traveler

arcone

Hi

What airlines does one suggest to take if a person is of large size?

I know that Southwest requires buying two tickets. My relative loves to cruise and although flying is of concern. I want to encourage my relative on joining us.

Thanks

Most airlines have pretty small seats, fitable (?) for the "average" person. I believe Southwest's policy is that if you book one seat and then at the airport you can buy the other one. And then you can get your money back if the flight is not full.

I don't know any other airlines who do that.

-Chris

The basic suggestion would be to look into flying first or business class where seats are larger than those in coach. Barring that, United Airlines, Hooter Airlines and Delta Air Lines, have no large-seating requirements. See a related article at http://www.billingsgazette.com/index.php?id=1&display=rednews/2005/04/08/build/business/45-seats.inc

It all depends on how large the person is. I have a friend who's around 350lbs and she barely fits in the coach seat---she has to put up the armrest in order to fit. I would say that any bigger than that, you're looking at having to ride in first class. Another choice is if your airport is served by Midwest Airlines. Many of their planes have two by two seating and their seats are larger than all coach seats I've seen.

I know some airlines have what they call "athletic seats"- you pay for a second seat but it's at a reduced rate. Some carriers in certain markets don't even have first class cabins so that option might not exist.

I do know all airlines carry seat-belt extensions for larger sized people. I've seen many times where a flight attendant will quietly offer a seat-belt extension to someone that they can tell would have a tough time with a standard one. If you can't get into a seat with the extension than you'd have a real issue with safety.

I'd be upfront with the reservations people and ask them what can be done to accomodate this person. It may cost something but that's better than being embarressed.

Arcone,

This may help, try seatguru.com it list the seat size's of most airline's. We fly Jet Blue alot because of my husbands size, and they have more room if you book row 11 and back.

Hope this Helps!!!!!!!

If watching Southwest's "Airline" TV show is any indication, it seems like they pick large people out of the crowd and take them on board to see if they fit in the seat. Then they make them buy a second seat. Who knows what their procedure really is when they don't have TV cameras there. I'm a big guy too, both height and girth, and haven't really had a problem with fitting into the seats. Legroom is usually the issue for me, being 6'5", so I usually ask for an exit row. It depends on where the extra baggage is though. Mine is my gut, not by butt or hips, so I can usually fit between the armrests. I do ask the flight attendant for a seat belt extension as soon as we board though

Buying a Business/First class seat is ridiculously expensive compared to the deep-disocunt economy seats. You can just about buy a row of economy seats for yourself compared to what business class costs on a major airline. Some of the cheap airlines will sell the bigger seats at the gate if available, but these are hardly "business class". The major airlines that have real business or first class seats won't sell you the upgrade unless you buy the expensive economy fare first, since they usually have status frequent flyers to give these seats to.

Archived