TSA Lock

SugarPlum

I'm thinking about buying the new TSA Approved Lock. But I would like to know if any one experience their lock being cut off by the airlines and is it worth getting the lock?:)

The airlines won't cut off the locks, but TSA inspectors certainly will. The "master key" is too much of a bother fir them. Stick with the cable ties.

I just use the cable ties ..... when they cut one of mine off they replaced it with another and left their little note inside the suit case.

For our last cruise - and 2 business trips since the cruise - I used plain ole zip ties. They worked great and if they had been cut of and replaced...no big deal. FYI...I put a small pair of nail clippers in the outside pocket of one of the bags so that we could snip off the ties when we arrived.

Just another - cheap - option ;)

The airlines won't cut off the locks, but TSA inspectors certainly will. The "master key" is too much of a bother fir them. Stick with the cable ties.

We've been using them for probably our last 4 flights and have not had them cut off (yet)

For our last cruise - and 2 business trips since the cruise - I used plain ole zip ties. They worked great and if they had been cut of and replaced...no big deal. FYI...I put a small pair of nail clippers in the outside pocket of one of the bags so that we could snip off the ties when we arrived.

Just another - cheap - option ;)

LoL......I didn't think of that option....being worried about the policies and all. :p

locks_banner.gif

From The http://www.TSA.gov Web Site[/url]

The vendors above have an arrangement with TSA to supply TSA “accepted and recognized” locks per our agreement. TSA screeners have tools for opening and re-locking baggage with either of these logos, thus avoiding damage to the lock or bag if a physical inspection is required.

Please check the above Web sites for more information on TSA Accepted and Recognized Locks.

http://www.tsa.gov/public/display?content=0900051980119c07

I have used cable ties on every trip we've taken since 9/11 (maybe 4 or 5 by plane.) They work like a charm and you get like 50 for about 2 bucks at home depot. I like the pretty color ones..that way you can tell instantly if the bag was opened. The TSA isn't cool enough to get pretty colors!! lol

There are companies that make approved locks, and they will replace them if they are cut off... many of them are, as the TSA folks just don't want to mess with them. You can do a search on the main board and find a lot of information regarding the TSA locks. I will say though that in over 100 domestic flights, I have never locked my luggage, and never had anything missing, I do lock my luggage on International flights, although I am not sure why, just something I have always done ... if they want my clothes that bad, they will find a way in there... I would never pack anything valuable in my checked luggage, locked or not...

Archived