What's Up With These Prices?

macdays1

Does anyone have an explanation for why the Majesty, Boston to Bermuda cruises are being offered for $99 plus port and tax? I've seen it for the past two weeks now. I'm planning to book within the next week for July, and I'm hoping these prices continue.

NCL Majesty 4/00 (Bermuda)
NCL Majesty 5/03 (Bermuda)
NCL Majesty 8/03 (Bermuda)

I assume that they have availability for last minute cruises and they'd rather sail with every cabin full making a little money than let cabins go empty for no money. You can often find equally good deals for transatlantic cruises or shoulder season cruises where the weather can be questionable. If you're not too picky about what room you're in, these last minute deals can be a great find!

Cecilia
[email]ladyndnver@aol.com[/email]

[img]http://escati.linkopp.net/cgi-bin/countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=006400&cdt=2004;10;02;12;00;00&timezone=GMT-0800[/img]
My Wedding!

Being fairly new at cruising, how do cruiselines calculate the port charges and taxes? Are some or all of them per person charges, or is the ship itself charged a standard fee and they decide how to split the charge, or might it be a combination of both. With this $99 charge in mind, I was wondering if the added passengers at this rate also help pay for the port charges NCL must pay.

Tom/Connecticut

Has anyone seen deals like this out of NY or NJ? For some reason the best deals seem to be out of FLorida.

Sandy
Carn. Jubilee, Nov 13,2000
NCL Sea, July 22,2001
Cel Zenith Oct 19, 2002
Carn. Pride Aug 27, 2003
NCL Dawn, Oct. 31, 2004 (find us at the roll call!)
Sandy and Len, Mom and Dad, BahamaMomma, DJ and family
[url="http://messages.cruisecritic.com/2/OpenTopic?a=tpc&s=927093444&f=5023051067&m=7733089657"]http://messages.cruisecritic.com/2/OpenTopic?a=tpc&s=927093444&f=5023051067&m=7733089657[/url]

I did check one of the $99 deals. It is for the Majesty cruise leaving out of Boston on 6/6 and does not include port charges and taxes. I believe port charges are per person not per ship. The total cost of the cruise comes to $369 (or something close to that). Still not a bad deal if you like to plan last minute!

[img]http://escati.linkopp.net/cgi-bin/countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=4169e1&cdt=2004;8;22;16;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500[/img]
NCL Majesty

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Tomct:
Being fairly new at cruising, how do cruiselines calculate the port charges and taxes? Are some or all of them per person charges, or is the ship itself charged a standard fee and they decide how to split the charge, or might it be a combination of both. With this $99 charge in mind, I was wondering if the added passengers at this rate also help pay for the port charges NCL must pay.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>Those charges are per person. I think across the board everyone has to pay no matter what. A good example is people that get a free cruise; they still have to pay those fees becasue they're separate from cruise fare. As some say, nothing is certain except death and taxes. [img]http://messages.cruisecritic.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img] I'm assuming that those fees are based on occupancy and not a set fee but I don't know for sure.

The prices are for cabins for two people only. A great deal for those who are flexible and can take a chance and wait it out until last minute. On our 5/23 Majesty cruise we were notified by NCL the Thursday prior to sailing they had three cabins available for $134pp plus p/t.

tomct
I have also wonder how they come up with the cost of a port charge. They don't seem to follow reason, cruise line to cruiesline or ship to ship or the number of people on a ship. I do know the cruise lines got busted a few years back for over charging for port charges. They still are confusing. Can anyone come up with an answer?

Rick R.

Archived