RC - Snorkel, Beach and Fun..Anyone???

haywardwis

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...
still looking for some information on something to do in Jamaica. Has anyone done the Cruise, Snorkel, Beach & Fun - FY53 trip with RCI?

Any information would be great!!

Haywardwis, since you've already sailed I am curious to know if you ended up taking this excursion and if so your thought and review? We don't go until September so any advice is appreciated!

• 7 months later...

I'm coming back to review this excursion. Like some, I'd heard mixed things about Jamaica and wasn't sure what to do regarding this port. I'm happy to say this actually turned out to be a great excursion. DH and I booked though RCL and although we were cruising with a large family group on the Oasis:), we were the only two to take this excursion. We met our group just off the dock and were taken by shuttle to Montego Bay. Drs Cave Beach is really beautiful, small but private, never felt unsafe. We boarded a catamaran at the Drs Cave Beach dock. It's not the nicest catamaran I've ever been on, but certainly fine enough. We motored out to the reef which is about a quarter or half mile off shore for snorkeling. I'm not incredibly experienced with snorkeling, have cruised to the Southern Caribbean once before -- but the reef at Drs Cave is really beautiful, probably the best I have snorkeled. We spent quite a while in the water and then got on board again. We were served rum punch (my husband's favorite!) and drove up and down the shore. We returned to Drs. Dave and were given the choice to stay there or walk down to Margaritaville. Since the weather had turned a little bit iffy we chose the restaurant. It was relaxing, although I think we spent an hour or two there which was a little on the too long side. At any rate, we still had a great time, would recommend this excursion to others.

I'm coming back to review this excursion. Like some, I'd heard mixed things about Jamaica and wasn't sure what to do regarding this port. I'm happy to say this actually turned out to be a great excursion. DH and I booked though RCL and although we were cruising with a large family group on the Oasis:), we were the only two to take this excursion. We met our group just off the dock and were taken by shuttle to Montego Bay. Drs Cave Beach is really beautiful, small but private, never felt unsafe. We boarded a catamaran at the Drs Cave Beach dock. It's not the nicest catamaran I've ever been on, but certainly fine enough. We motored out to the reef which is about a quarter or half mile off shore for snorkeling. I'm not incredibly experienced with snorkeling, have cruised to the Southern Caribbean once before -- but the reef at Drs Cave is really beautiful, probably the best I have snorkeled. We spent quite a while in the water and then got on board again. We were served rum punch (my husband's favorite!) and drove up and down the shore. We returned to Drs. Dave and were given the choice to stay there or walk down to Margaritaville. Since the weather had turned a little bit iffy we chose the restaurant. It was relaxing, although I think we spent an hour or two there which was a little on the too long side. At any rate, we still had a great time, would recommend this excursion to others.

I so appreciate the review! We have this excursion booked through RCI for our Allure cruise in June. At Margaritaville, there's a beach, right? Were you able to swim? Or is the only option to spend 1-2 hours actually in the restaurant? Also - if you'd chosen to stay at the beach (instead of going to Margaritaville), would they have picked you up on the way back to Falmouth?

Thanks again for updating!

I didn't see much of the beach at margaritaville. We most hung out on their top floor porch. I think they would have let us stay at doctors cave beach if we wanted, it is only a very short walk to margaritaville anyway and I would have felt safe enough walking this short distance. One thing I will say though is that if you have young children - the area where we did the snorkeling is a little deep. Great snorkeling but probably best for those who are experienced swimmers.

Archived