Convince me it will be ok

rfholcom

I have been wanting to go to Alaska for almost 20 years but it never worked out. This year everything is working out beautifully. The problem now is me. Due to a very involved project at work-I am exhausted and it is not scheduled to be over by the time we leave. We will have a 7 and 8 year old boy with us. Due to frequent flyer miles-We will fly Atlanta to Las Vega, ovenight then fly at 10:30pm to Anchorage, 4 days in Anchorage, shuttle to cruise port, cruise for 7 days, then overnight in Vancouver. So many times of having to deal with luggage and airport security and so many hours on the plane trying to entertain kids. So much clothing to take (layers take up room in the suitcase). And to top it off-I have to work while I am gone so the computer will be going with us (which is another post). Please convince me that this is a good idea and that just going on a cruise to the Caribbean is not a better idea.

Internet access will not be a problem there. It has been said that more people

have access to the Internet in Alaska then anywhere else in the country. Even

if your ship doesn't have internet access I would bet that every single port

will have an internet cafe where you could hook-up upload and download to

your hearts content. Your kids are about the age where this will be an interesting trip for them. Just remember that kids have short attention spans

at any age. Bring something for them to do.

I see too many people over do the clothes thing. In Anchorage the weather

will be nice. The only place you may need a little something extra is once you

get on ship. Take last summer for example, the warmest summer we have had

in southeast Alaska, temps in the 80's. I only wore a raincoat 6 times and never

any other kind of jacket or anything.

Alaska wins hands down......

Definitely go, and don't worry about the clothes too much. Like BearBait says, you don't need too much. My layers were a shirt, a sweater and a waterproof thin jacket. If you find you need more, the shops in port and on the ship will be more than happy to sell you some! :D

Relax ..your going to have a great time and the boys will love it too.You might be like me, and never wanna go back to where you came from!Don't over pack..just bring basics...you can always buy extra sweatshirt/tshirts/rainponches ect to wear and have as souvenirs.

4 days in Anc??In Anc there is "H2o Oasis" a great waterpark and it's close to the zoo if your looking for ideas.Also close to Dimond Mall/Walmart/Best Buy for shopping.I do hope your planning on renting a car and doing some driving out of the city.I suggest a day in Seward, the boys would love the Sealife Center,Ididaride and Exit glacier would be a great finish to wear them out for a day.

Look at the positive...you'll have 7 days cruising not having to worry about what your worrying over...airports/luggage ect!..Don't forget the swimsuits for the pool and I'm sure they will meet other kids to play with on the cruise. OPPS The laptop just went OVERBOARD...lol :)

I know what you are saying.I have always wanted to go.but didn't think we could afford it.Have some health problems this year.Decided to heck with it i'm going.Still can't afford it lol.So I guess what i'm trying to say is just go and have a great time.Don't let work take up all your time.

With this all planned- it would be a waste not to go. :)

But I would put my foot down on doing work on my vacation?? Isn't there someone who can fill in? Do overtime prior? etc? Especially with this being a family trip, devote your time with them.

Probably being too nosy- but are you being paid for this extra work?? I am sorry to hear that you can't get 2 weeks of freedom. :(

There is a saying that I can't remember that is about when you get old and you look back on your memories, which will be important, the time spent with your kids or the time spent working OT? Time to prioritize! Will they fire you if you say you don't want to work on vacation?

My husband went through that for our Feb cruise, they didn't want him to take the time off and were willing to pay us for the money lost due to cancelling the vacation. I put my foot down and said we are going, and guess what, the work was still there when we go back but DH had a stress-free week.

Archived