Spring Break on the Star.....

monicajay

We traveled on the NCL Star the week of March 4th and it was full of Spring Breakers. There were three main colleges involved that students had booked as part of a group. There were also individuals from various colleges around the states.

This made the pool and hot-tubs virtually unusable for the over 25 crowd until about 5h30 pm when they drunkenly wobbled off to their cabins to nap and then get re-organized for the evening events. NCL had obviously promoted directly to this group and was encouraging it with chants by the pool for the breakers. I'm sure this is a lucrative market for them because this gang knew how to drink (well actually they were learning about over-drinking:confused:).

We saw girls clad in tiny triangle bikinis so drunk they had to be piggy backed back onto the ship in Cozumel. We got in elevators with kids that were propping up a friend who was about to collapse. We heard rumors that 4 boys were kicked off the ship in Roatan.

Fortunately though, other than the pool deck these kids were very well behaved. Once inside, at restaurants and bars they rose to the occasion. If was funny to watch the gangs of girls arrive in the main dining room dressed and made up as if going to prom while the groups of boys came in T-shirts, jeans and flip-flops. I spoke to many of them and they were polite, friendly and really having a good time.

Having cruised many times in early March this is the first time we have encountered the real 'spring breakers'. According to on-board staff there were going to be even more of them on this weeks cruise.

I quickly discovered the kids area in the back of the ship where it was quiet and I could grab a quick shower if over-heated from the sun.

So, overall my experience with the Breakers was fine but some other customers were upset, particularly those with kids in the 15-18 age group who didn't like their teens seeing all the craziness.

I've never been on a cruise or gone to Florida etc. during spring break and for this reason probably wouldn't. Those 15-18 year olds are going to see a lot of that as soon as they get into college. Hopefully the parents used it as a good learning tool.

We were on The Spirit the same week. The day we were in Cozumel, we watched cruisers board The Star from our balcony before departure. They definitely had some partying cruisers boarding that day. The crew was dancing and singing outside of the ship, which was very festive, and the boarding cruisers were joining in the fun. They also had a "Limbo" dance going on. It was very entertaining for us. The Spirit also had some spring breakers. The pool and hot tubs were crowded, but we had no complaints about any of it on our ship. They all seemed to be having lots of fun. It was hard to find a chair by the pool. But sooner or later, we always found one.

Even though it was many years ago, I still remember when I enjoyed being that young and having that much fun!!! :) Not that I still don't have fun!!! ;)

I was on the Star the week before and what a difference a week must make. The crowd was definitely a lot older. There appeared to be very few college students onboard.

coka

We cruised on the Gem once during Spring Break. We had UCONN and Syracuse on board. I must admit, I had a great time with them! I felt young again. Watching them watch the basketball games in the Spinaker Lounge was like you were really at the game. Of course you had your few that were way too drunk but all in all, they were very respectful of everyone on the ship.

That was my only one experience with Spring Breakers but for me, I would have no problem cruising again during that season. ;)

Archived