First or Last Cruise of the Alaska Season?

Cruisin' Along

I am also wondering why the other lines stop running a week earlier. Is the week of September 22nd too iffy for weather and possibly other things I'm not aware of?!

I have a couple thoughts on it.

1. Yes, it probably will be less crowded = + (Less expensive = +)

2. If it was "that" bad they would not have sailings. (PERIOD)

3. Eventhough I have stated the above, it was too iffy for me.

We did our first Alaska cruise on Celebrity September 18th last year. We had a great time and we had the ports to ourselves. The weather was horrendous.

There were several HAL ship in the area at the same time and several of them missed ports due to the weather. We were very lucky.

We had several friends aboard who had done the last cruise multiple times and they said they had never had so much rain. Our Captain told us we had gone through 6 separate storms while in Alaska. The worst had 78 knot winds and 24 foot seas. It was an adventure ;)

We'd take our chances and try it again someday .... not for a while. This fall it's Hawaii for us :D

My sister and I were on the Sept 17 sailing on the Zuiderdam last year and yes it rained every day, but we loved the cruise. Will do it earlier in the year next time

We were on the Westerdam for the last sailing on September 17, 2011 and we were one that missed a port, Sitka and also missed Hubbard Glacier. Flight seeing cancelled in Ketchikan. Mixed bag of fog, rain, wind and high seas (can't predict this year of course!) but for first timers (not us) it would have been disapointing. Very good sales especially in Ketchikan for those interested. Since it's your first time I would second the May sailing rather than September.

We were on the same cruise and the weather was terrible. This was our first cruise to Alaska and it sure made me miss the warmth of the Caribbean. We had a good time, but the weather really put a damper on the trip. We had friends that were on a different HAL cruise in Alaska the previous week and they said the weather was beautiful. Obviously September weather in Alaska can be hit or miss.

We have been twice - both times in early September. We had good weather, even fairly warm. We only had a little rain on one day. This year we will be going in August. As stated, there are good sales near the end of the season. We also learned on our first trip, that going north to south is better for us because flight times to return to Florida are better.

We did do one round trip from San Francisco; the other was a cruise/tour. This year we are doing a longer land tour before the cruise. You never know from year to year how the weather will be.

nmi

Thanks everyone for your thoughts. May sounds a little more promising. I wish I could get away soon - I have seen some incredible cruise deals this week for May 2012. Unfortunately, I'll have to wait until May 2013. But that gives me plenty of time to plan! :D

Archived