Help with Cobo Mayan Tour

Hello Fellow Cruisers

Hoping someone can help me....I want to plan this excurision but have 2 kids (12 and 7) plus hubby. I need help in....once we get off the ship where do we go? Are they like other excurions where there is someone from the company standing at the end of the dock holding a sign and then you follow them? Or do we have to figure out how to get to that ferry we have to take (which takes how long?) and then get off that boat and find a bus? I keep looking at the reviews but havent read where/how we get to the excursion. Did you really spend your entire time on the ferry/bus/bike ?

I guess what I am looking for is the nitty gritty. LOL I read the reviews on the Carnival website under the excursions and it sounds like ppl have a nice time and worth the money and time spent there..but I need to know specifics just because of the kids. My hub really wants to do this and its the only excursion he picked..he let us pick all the others....

Any and all help would be greatly appreciated!!:):):):)

I don't know anything about the excursion, but we've visited the Mayan Riviera twice, most recently last month, and this will at least bump you back up. I would assume (but you know what they say about that...) that the guide would take you from the ship if you take the regular ferry. I know I went from smiling politely to locals to snarling in about a block when we were getting off the ferry- I have to think they would corral you just to keep people from toddling off into a restaurant or time share presentation. It wasn't dangerous or anything- it was just a huge gauntlet of salesmen.

The public ferry takes about an hour from Cozumel to Playa del Carmen, including embarkation/debarkation, and I think it would be about an hour and a half driving time from PdC to Coba (you do have it misspelled- if you can't find anything, that's probably why). We've always driven from Tulum, so that's a guesstimate. I would think that they would have some kind of private transport though- if you're late getting into port, and you have five hours of traveling, waiting another 45 minutes for the next ferry could mean little time to tour.

Climbing Nohoc Mul was great (and there are rumors about closing it already, so this may be your only chance unless you book a trip back shortly), but that ball court is not the size of a football field- more like an elementary school soccer field, and it will be crowded, and hot because it's inland. t does have the rings intact though. We've not seen any wildlife there, unless you count the termite nest.

I assume you mean Coba, the ruins? I assume you are taking a ship excursion, which would be smart because it's a long trip from coz to coba. The ruins are good, but the best part is it's (for now) one of the few touristy ruins to allow you to climb the pyramid. We went last year when we were at an AI in PDC. You will enjoy it, just a long trip to get there though.

I assume you mean Coba, the ruins? I assume you are taking a ship excursion, which would be smart because it's a long trip from coz to coba. The ruins are good, but the best part is it's (for now) one of the few touristy ruins to allow you to climb the pyramid. We went last year when we were at an AI in PDC. You will enjoy it, just a long trip to get there though.

Hi There

Yes sorry..I meant Coba. We are definitely doing it through Carnival simply because its a long day and I dont want to be left on the island should something go wrong....I am just nervous about the walking. I heard you can take bikes or a rickashaw? How did you do them?

Thanks for your reply!!

Hi There

Yes sorry..I meant Coba. We are definitely doing it through Carnival simply because its a long day and I dont want to be left on the island should something go wrong....I am just nervous about the walking. I heard you can take bikes or a rickashaw? How did you do them?

Thanks for your reply!!

Hi,

It is a long day but smart to use ship tour.

After you get there your guide will ask if you want

to rent a bike or a 3 wheel rickshaw with driver. It is optional and

you pay $10 US for rickshaw round trip (2 kilometers) from entrance to Nohoch Mul

pyramid. Driver waits for you if you hire a round trip.

2 people can ride in rickshaw.

I walked to Nohoch Mul and climbed the 138' no problem, but hired

a rickshaw one way back for $7 US.

There are other areas at Coba but they are spread out far and

so we only climbed Nohoch Mul and saw the Ball Court and another

smaller pyramid on the way in.

Lets face it, you can't see everything there. Ship's tours just give you

the highlights because of the time limitation. Coba is one place I'd

like to go back to on a land based tour some day.

:cool::cool:

Archived