RCCL Recommended TIPS question?

:confused:

RCCL recommends $3.50/day for stateroom attendant and the same for Dining Room Waiter. My question is I am going on a 3 night cruise. Would I multiply the $3.50 by 3 or 4? The 4 being debarkation day. If service is good I have no problem tipping more but I dont want to under tip.

thanks

Brenda

This is what the RCI web site says about tipping.

Tipping - So that you can thank those who have made your cruise vacation better than you could have imagined, we've developed these gratuity guidelines:

Suite attendant: $5.75 USD a day per guest

Stateroom attendant: $3.50 USD a day per guest

Dining Room Waiter: $3.50 USD a day per guest

Assistant Waiter: $2.00 USD a day per guest

Headwaiter: $.75 USD a day per guest

Note: These gratuities apply to guests of all ages.

Gratuities for other service personnel are at your discretion. A 15% gratuity will automatically be added to your bar bill or wine check when you are served.

Envelopes for gratuities will be provided in your stateroom on the last night of the cruise. Gratuities may be paid in the following ways:

Pre paid by having them added to your reservation by your booking agent.

Added to your onboard SeaPass account.

Paid in cash at the end of the cruise

It is pretty much what most cruise lines say. I would say a 3.5 day cruise would count as a 4 day but then that may also depend on the service you receive.

Have a great next cruise.

This is a common question.

Extra tipping aside, the recommended amounts are always calculated based on the number of nights you spend aboard the ship. There are always people going off right before you and always people coming on right after you. The only accurate count is by night, since only one set of passengers can occupy the cabin for sleeping. I hope so anyway! ;)

Take the strain off, use the calculator below to figure out your tips and the kinds of cash you need for the envlelopes:

http://members.aol.com/CruiseTip/

Theron

Tip as much as you can afford. Those hard working people are hardly paid anything by the line. It's almost criminal, if you actually knew how little they're being paid to slave away on those ships.

All I can say...I don't know if I would work 10 hours EVERY DAY for $50/mth.

Tip as much as you can afford. If you have good service, be generous. If you don't have good service...think about how much they're being paid, and think of how hard you would work if you were in that situation.

And please, I don't want to hear about how they're from third world countries and that it's a lot of money back home.

It's not. They're basically modern-day slaves.

Theron (tpkeller) I have a question you'll be able to answer. We are in a Junior Suite. Do we tip based on Suite recommendations, or regular stateroom?

Amanda

Hi,

Well I've never been in any kind of a suite... :( but from what others have said, a Junior Suite is really not a suite, so the recommended tips are the same as for a regular stateroom. That's the last I heard anyway!

Theron

We were in a Junior Suite on the Sovereign of the Sea in February and had the tips added by the purser to our on-board account.

They added the standard cabin amount, not the suite amount.

That being said, we tipped extra for the excellent service we received.

Lou

And please, I don't want to hear about how they're from third world countries and that it's a lot of money back home.

It's not. They're basically modern-day slaves.

I dont get this! Was this directed at me? I was only asking a question. I in no way would ever say that and I tip very well when earned. I just wanted to know if it would be 3 or 4 days that I would count on a 3 night cruise.

Thanks

Thanks for the reponses re: my Junior Suite question. I've already figured the tips (using's Theron's calculator!) + an extra percentage per envelope. As long as the service is great I'm ready to roll! If the service is less than great, I made take out a few dollars to bring it back down closer to "recommended". We're not leaving for 6 weeks but I'm almost packed already! LOL :D

Amanda:)

I dont get this! Was this directed at me? I was only asking a question. I in no way would ever say that and I tip very well when earned. I just wanted to know if it would be 3 or 4 days that I would count on a 3 night cruise.

Please don't take this as being directed at you. For some reason that I have yet to figure out (and believe me, I have been following tipping threads very closely for the past two + years!) some people can't just answer a simple question, and feel the need to use any excuse to get on a soapbox to share how they feel about tipping and the salary structure the cruise lines choose to use to pay their staff. Generally if you ignore them they don't have anything else to say... :cool:

Theron

Archived