No Price Reduction for us....cruisetour is full

oratheeexplorer

Just after Christmas we booked a 10 day cruisetour on the Sapphire, tour starts Aug. 1st, cruise Aug. 4th. It didn't take long until the land tour part was full. However, there was still lots of availability on the ship for the cruise. I had spoke with a Princess representative and asked if the price of the cruise goes down, would we get the reduction if our TA called. I was told yes.

Well, this morning I noticed our BB category went down $110 per person for the cruise portion, so I called our TA. She called Princess and was told that because we are booked as a "cruisetour", we can not get the price reduction for the cruise portion. This kind of makes sense to me, but I was told differently a few months ago when I spoke with the Princess representative.

I guess this is a live and learn lesson.....I don't think we will be doing any more land tours after this.....

Just after Christmas we booked a 10 day cruisetour on the Sapphire, tour starts Aug. 1st, cruise Aug. 4th. It didn't take long until the land tour part was full. However, there was still lots of availability on the ship for the cruise. I had spoke with a Princess representative and asked if the price of the cruise goes down, would we get the reduction if our TA called. I was told yes.

Well, this morning I noticed our BB category went down $110 per person for the cruise portion, so I called our TA. She called Princess and was told that because we are booked as a "cruisetour", we can not get the price reduction for the cruise portion. This kind of makes sense to me, but I was told differently a few months ago when I spoke with the Princess representative.

I guess this is a live and learn lesson.....I don't think we will be doing any more land tours after this.....

I am on the same cruise but a different cruise tour. Thanks for the information. I booked directly with Princess and will call them directly. If I have any luck with getting a price reduction, I will post back.

The pricing is based on the overall average cost of the tour, not just the cruise portion, so the two do operate on different models (for example, demand might be driving the cost of the BB cabin down but the land portion up). You should reprice the cruisetour as a whole to see if that changed.

I think there may have been some confusion with your original question. If the price of the cruise tour goes down, you should be able to get that. If just one element changes, thats a different product. A comparative example is if you buy a vacation package that includes air, car, and hotel, the price is different than the same items separately, sometimes to your favor but not always.

I suspect you understand this already but wanted to put it out there for others if interested.

Yes, I understand it. However, the Princess representative did give me the wrong information, as I clarified my question to her several times, she insisted we would be able to get a reduction if the "cruise" portion went down.

Also, I can not check prices on the "cruisetour"...as the "tour" part is sold out, so you can not get any prices on the Princess website for this, it just says "sold out".....

Again, I think we will think twice before ever booking a land tour again, it kind of stinks that we can't get a reduction on the cruise part when we did pay for it too. So once your tour is sold out, you are stuck with that price.

Did you book through a TA? They may be able to check the price even though the public site cannot depending on their relationship.

If you asked her several times, then yes, she is in the wrong for giving you incorrect info.

Yes, I understand it. However, the Princess representative did give me the wrong information, as I clarified my question to her several times, she insisted we would be able to get a reduction if the "cruise" portion went down.

Also, I can not check prices on the "cruisetour"...as the "tour" part is sold out, so you can not get any prices on the Princess website for this, it just says "sold out".....

Again, I think we will think twice before ever booking a land tour again, it kind of stinks that we can't get a reduction on the cruise part when we did pay for it too. So once your tour is sold out, you are stuck with that price.

The same thing happened with our New England Emerald Princess Cruise tour in October this year.

The price on the cruise went down at least $300 p.p. for our category on the ship. I did ask our T.A. whether we were eligible for a reduction in our cruise fare but because we are doing a Cruise Tour and it is fully booked with a waiting list, we do not get the decrease.

Jennie

That is what they told our TA.....because our cruisetour is waitlisted, we can not get any reductions in the cruise prices.....everyone else who is just doing the cruise can get the reduction....so I guess you are penalized for doing a land tour.....never again.....I wouldnt be so upset if I hadn't been told by a Princess rep that we would be able to get a reduction for the cruise price if it was reduced.....

It is my understanding and experience that if the cruise and add-on tour are booked as individual 'parts' you can get the price reduction on the cruise portion. This sort of add-on is usually a hotel night(s) with perhaps a day or two of tours. If, however, the cruise tour is sold as a package (one price) then they are not separable, and the only way to get a price reduction is ro watch the package price. The cruise individually is meaningless. I am sorry the Princess agent did not accurately explain or understand this.

That is what they told our TA.....because our cruisetour is waitlisted, we can not get any reductions in the cruise prices.....everyone else who is just doing the cruise can get the reduction....so I guess you are penalized for doing a land tour.....never again.....I wouldnt be so upset if I hadn't been told by a Princess rep that we would be able to get a reduction for the cruise price if it was reduced.....

Yes, I feel your pain. The same thing happened to me for a Cruisetour on the Sapphire Princess in June. Since the land portion of the tour is sold out............no reduction on the cruise. It will burn me even more when someone books a cabin next door to mine for $500 less.

I agree, if you hadn't been told, it would have been a better scenario. Mind you, we are paying a high price for the combined tour and cruise compared with what our friends are paying for the cruise only. Unfortunately, we couldn't find a tour that we could take privately and so Princess won out.

Jennie

It's not too late to change your booking to cruise only and do your own land tour. Alternately you can see what cruise tours are currently offered. You might find one that cheaper then your current tour and still does what you want. You may wind up switching from a train based tour to a bus based tour.

Just an observation. Looks like Princess will let a tour sell out. Instead of adding more slots they'll start a similar tour with a new number. That way they can offer lower prices to new passengers and not have to reprice passengers who already booked.

It's not too late to change your booking to cruise only and do your own land tour. Alternately you can see what cruise tours are currently offered. You might find one that cheaper then your current tour and still does what you want. You may wind up switching from a train based tour to a bus based tour.

Just an observation. Looks like Princess will let a tour sell out. Instead of adding more slots they'll start a similar tour with a new number. That way they can offer lower prices to new passengers and not have to reprice passengers who already booked.

Hmm....this is interesting, I will check it out....thank you for the heads up!

I agree, if you hadn't been told, it would have been a better scenario. Mind you, we are paying a high price for the combined tour and cruise compared with what our friends are paying for the cruise only. Unfortunately, we couldn't find a tour that we could take privately and so Princess won out.

Jennie

I know we are paying sky high for our cruisetour also....I guess this will be a lesson learned.....we probably will not book any cruisetours after this. I tried to tell my husband when we booked that we could do something on our own for a few days a LOT cheaper than thru Princess, but he likes the idea of not having to drive and figure out how to get from one place to another.....more relaxing for him that way.

Post over in the Alaska port forum. Most of the posters hate cruise land tours. You'll get more then enough information and advice on how to do it yourself. A word of warning. Car rentals tend to be expensive. Do the numbers.

Thanks for that.....I know I've read a lot of those posts.....my husband is so set on the land tour through Princess, because he thinks it's more relaxing having them getting us from point A to point B, etc....I can see his point....and we already have some tours booked for while at each place.....and looking forward to riding the rail from Denali to Whittier and seeing the scenery. I will have to talk to him about this....I know we could save a lot of money.

We did the Alaska cruise tour that started at Vancouver on the Diamond and ended up in Fairbanks. After spending the 7 days on the "Voyage of the Glaciers" we hopped on board a Princess rail car to McKinley then Denali before going to Fairbanks. It was fantastic. Princess is the largest Hotel owner in Alaska and their hotels are excellent. Having our luggage waiting in our room each day was a plus. We did not have to think about anything but enjoying the incredible scenery (it was September and the colors were amazing) every aspect of the land portion was worth the price. I am the "travel planner" of most of our trips and it would have taken weeks to put together what Princess did for us, and I am not sure it would have cost any less. Stop fretting and get ready for an amazing experience. It is no wonder the land portion has sold out.

We did the Alaska cruise tour that started at Vancouver on the Diamond and ended up in Fairbanks. After spending the 7 days on the "Voyage of the Glaciers" we hopped on board a Princess rail car to McKinley then Denali before going to Fairbanks. It was fantastic. Princess is the largest Hotel owner in Alaska and their hotels are excellent. Having our luggage waiting in our room each day was a plus. We did not have to think about anything but enjoying the incredible scenery (it was September and the colors were amazing) every aspect of the land portion was worth the price. I am the "travel planner" of most of our trips and it would have taken weeks to put together what Princess did for us, and I am not sure it would have cost any less. Stop fretting and get ready for an amazing experience. It is no wonder the land portion has sold out.

I'm sure my husband will agree with you! We booked this for our 25th wedding anniversary....and our voyage date happens to be the most expensive of the season, but it is when our anniversary is and that's when he wants to go. He also likes the idea of not having to deal with our suitcases at every hotel, etc, along with not having to worry about driving from place to place. I'm just thinking we could probably save about $1,000 doing it on our own, I'm the one wanting to save money. I'm sure it is less headache and more relaxing doing it through Princess. Thanks for your comments.

Congratulations on 25 years! A cruise is the best way to celebrate that event! (We did that on the Caribbean cruise) This year we are celebrating our 36th on the Ruby in August. I've been promising my wife a trip to Europe for 30 years so I guess it's finally time to go! Have a great time!

I am on the same cruise but a different cruise tour. Thanks for the information. I booked directly with Princess and will call them directly. If I have any luck with getting a price reduction, I will post back.

Oh well. I didn't get the price reduction either. I was so upset that I booked three more cruises. All in 2013. :D

P.S. I just did get a price reduction from $1099 pp to $869pp. It was on the Island sailing July 18 from Vancouver to Whittier.:D:D

Congratulations on 25 years! A cruise is the best way to celebrate that event! (We did that on the Caribbean cruise) This year we are celebrating our 36th on the Ruby in August. I've been promising my wife a trip to Europe for 30 years so I guess it's finally time to go! Have a great time!

Thank you! What date is your anniversary? Ours is August 7th. Congratulations to you too! and have a wonderful time! I am soooo excited!

Archived