Cruising with Girl Scouts

guitargal168

On our first cruise we did 5 of us to an inside cabin. We did not mind at all.

But let me tell you- 4 girls to an inside cabin could prove to be a nightmare.

There is one bathroom and one vanity. Getting ready for dinner could be deadly--LOL

we used the showers in the gym area.

Putting 4 girls in a inside cabin- someone could get a roll away- how do you determine the bed issues. Who gets the top bed? who gets the real bed?

Inside cabins are extreme darkness 24 hours. Set alarm clocks or the girls will spend huge quantities of time sleeping.

Rules? Curfews? will you have those? what are the penalties?

Carnival does have camps/clubs for the girls- they are broke down by ages.

Do any of the girls fall below the age requirement?

9-11 12-14 15-17 they are rather strict with that clubs.

One suggestion I have that should be there for the girls--NO going into the cabin areas for any reason. to stay in the public area of the ship.

Will dinner in the dining room be madatory? I made that a huge number 1 for us. It was the only time I saw the kids

Telephones in the cabin are equipped with voicemail. set it up when you arrive in the cabin. I dont know if i would like girls leaving post it notes on the cabin door of their where abouts

Actually, your comment about "rules and penalties" is something to take note of! I believe we will have the girls come up with rules/penalties (with leaders approval of course!). That way, IF (and please note I said "if" not when!) we need to enforce it, then they need to buck up and deal with it! Having said that, the only reason we are contemplating this trip in the first place is because of our VERY successful track record taking these girls on many trips in the past. We are extremely blessed with wonderful girls who have made our past GS trips amazing successes!

That's great!

Our five day Savannah trip is about $450 per girl. They raised enough over the last two years that each girl only has to pay $75 or so. I'm really proud of them!

You should be! $75 for 5 days is AMAZING!! I hope your parents appreciate how much hard work goes into organizing something like this!

I was looking at is as the girls will be in their own cabin and the leaders will be in another.

One Cruiser recommended adjoining rooms. That way the girls can be in a room and the leaders in another. BUT....if they abuse that privilege, then it can be easily changed out. I really LIKE that idea!! Unfortunately, we need 3 rooms so ANOTHER suggestion I received was to have 2 rooms adjoining and the 3rd room right across the corridor. We'll make it work somehow!

Cabins across the corridor are typically not the same category. One side will be ocean view or balony and the other side will be interior with no window. If you have girls staying in all three cabins, you'll probably want the cabin category to be the same. You could still get one set of adjoining and then another cabin beside it. The key will be to book as early as possible so you can have your selection of cabins!

Your trip is going to be amazing!

I would have a written contract set up for the girls, and their parents, to sign stating the rules and regulations you want to observe. Then you also spell out the penalties for breaking these rules, such as being sent home early, at the parent's expense. Make sure you make things like drinking alcohol totally verboten, even on the islands where the drinking age doesn't really exist.

My only concern is about some of those short cruises. From my experience, depending on when you cruise, they can have a very "party till you puke" atmosphere, which isn't fun. And if you go during spring break, watch out because you have the college spring breakers and those cruises can be a nightmare. On an NCL cruise last week, they had college groups on board, and from everything I've read on here, it was the cruise from hell, with numerous passengers being thrown off the ship. One group even stole a woman's mobility scooter and threw it into the pool. Those groups can get way out of hand and can influence even the best of kids.

Cabins across the corridor are typically not the same category. One side will be ocean view or balony and the other side will be interior with no window. If you have girls staying in all three cabins, you'll probably want the cabin category to be the same. You could still get one set of adjoining and then another cabin beside it. The key will be to book as early as possible so you can have your selection of cabins!

Your trip is going to be amazing!

Thanks Mel! We are hoping to book at least 9-10 months in advance. (going at the end of May, 2013.) What do you think...is that early enough?

I would have a written contract set up for the girls, and their parents, to sign stating the rules and regulations you want to observe. Then you also spell out the penalties for breaking these rules, such as being sent home early, at the parent's expense. Make sure you make things like drinking alcohol totally verboten, even on the islands where the drinking age doesn't really exist.

My only concern is about some of those short cruises. From my experience, depending on when you cruise, they can have a very "party till you puke" atmosphere, which isn't fun. And if you go during spring break, watch out because you have the college spring breakers and those cruises can be a nightmare. On an NCL cruise last week, they had college groups on board, and from everything I've read on here, it was the cruise from hell, with numerous passengers being thrown off the ship. One group even stole a woman's mobility scooter and threw it into the pool. Those groups can get way out of hand and can influence even the best of kids.

Love the contract idea! We, most definitely, do NOT plan on traveling over Spring Break. I wouldn't dream of trying that...even if I didn't have the girls with me! :)

I have a contract for our Savannah trip that I'd be happy to share. It's based on the GS Law, something they are all very familiar with!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thank you! I'd be very interested in seeing it. That way, the girls could actually see something that another troop used. I also think it would help them develop their own contract. I really want them to have an active hand in recognizing what is and is not acceptable.

Thank you! I'd be very interested in seeing it. That way, the girls could actually see something that another troop used. I also think it would help them develop their own contract. I really want them to have an active hand in recognizing what is and is not acceptable.

I really dont think they will come up with the one about visiting other people cabins-- so staying away from cabin area should be a priorty

I'm a personal assistant for someone who is taking her girl scout troop on a cruise in May. She asked me to call Carnival and get proof of their liability insurance. Carnival has no idea what I'm talking about and they told me we would have to buy liability insurance. Has anyone else run into this problem?

I'm a personal assistant for someone who is taking her girl scout troop on a cruise in May. She asked me to call Carnival and get proof of their liability insurance. Carnival has no idea what I'm talking about and they told me we would have to buy liability insurance. Has anyone else run into this problem?

The cruise line has insurance and what they will cover. In the contract. So Carnival probably does not understand what you are talking about. They will not take out extra insurance for the kids.

Whatever they cover is listed in their cruise contract. I'm not sure what the leader needs beyond that. We had to take extended coverage on the girls through Mutual of Omaha (the GS insurance provider four years ago) because our trip was more than 2 or 3 days and it was "international". It was listed in Safetywise back in the day, so we did it to make sure we were covered.

Archived