El Alamein

Has anyone done the excursion to El Alamein from Alexandria? We have booked it as a 5 hour half day excursion but according to Google Maps it's a 2 hour drive which only allows an hour there. I wonder if it's worth it or if we should cancel and do the Alexandria tour or just do our own thing.

Has anyone done the excursion to El Alamein from Alexandria? We have booked it as a 5 hour half day excursion but according to Google Maps it's a 2 hour drive which only allows an hour there. I wonder if it's worth it or if we should cancel and do the Alexandria tour or just do our own thing.

Can't advise on the El Alamein trip as we've never done it - but Alexandria isn't the best place for DiY in my opinion. We did the Alexandria tour which included the Roman (or was it Greek?) theatre, the Harbour and the library - which may not be to everyone's taste but we thought it was fascinating - architecturally stunning and very interesting (had thought we'd made a big mistake on the coach going there when we realised how long they were allowing for the library bit but in the event we could happily have spent much longer there).

http://www.google.co.uk/search?q=Alexandria+library&hl=en&client=firefox-a&hs=WmE&rls=org.mozilla:en-GB:official&prmd=imvns&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=uVBjT_yiKemw0QWIyeGtCA&ved=0CEYQsAQ&biw=1280&bih=610

We thought we could do Alexandria on our own, but had a really horrible experience. At the port gate we were approached by so many pushy horse and carriage owners, and taxi drivers that we felt intimidated. Our instinct was to say no to all, and set off walking on our own. Finally we opted for a taxi, but language issues meant we didn't get to where we wanted to go. I could write a book about that day in Alexandria, but will just finish by saying we were then ripped off by another Taxi driver who too us through some very scary parts of Alexandria. I wish we had done the organised tour. We definately will next time.:(

sweby

Hi

Did this trip December and can't remember exactly how long the drive there was but wasn't 2 hours. We had enough time to look round the cemetry and the museum. Enjoyed the trip and glad we went on an organised trip and not decided to have a walk round Alexandria on our own, the place looked grim. That said I am sure there are some very nice areas around Alexandra just didn't see them on our way through. Word of warning if you don't enjoy being on a bus that seems to be trying to break the sound barrier and the driver thinks he owns the road and everyone should just get out his way take a blindfold. They were like maniacs!!!!!

Hi

Did this trip December and can't remember exactly how long the drive there was but wasn't 2 hours. We had enough time to look round the cemetry and the museum. Enjoyed the trip and glad we went on an organised trip and not decided to have a walk round Alexandria on our own, the place looked grim. That said I am sure there are some very nice areas around Alexandra just didn't see them on our way through. Word of warning if you don't enjoy being on a bus that seems to be trying to break the sound barrier and the driver thinks he owns the road and everyone should just get out his way take a blindfold. They were like maniacs!!!!!

Thanks for that. We'll keep our el Alamein booking. After the three and a half hour similar sounding drive back to Port Sokhna from Luxor I think we'll cope.

Yes I would certainly recommend the Alamein trip...it is always a good way of seeing something of the country when you have a drive to the destination...I'm sure it was nowhere near two hours as it was only a half day tour and we didn't feel rushed at all......we went to the museum and also spent quite a while in the cemetery:)

when are you going we travel 28 march hoping to do this trip

Hi, my friend and I are on the same time as you, x we are going to do the jerusalem tour, i did before and am so excited to be doing it again I just loved that tour xxCarol

We go on April 26th on Eastern Wonders. Really looking forward to it.

tercar, did you do the overnight Jerusalem trip? I'm trying to find out a bit about it.

Been twice and thought it was an insightful and fantastic trip. Only complaint was that we could have perhaps done with an extra 30 mins in the actual museum. Alexandria is definitely not a place to do on your own, I would strongly recommend anyone not to leave the dock area unaccompanied

Hi, my friend and I are on the same time as you, x we are going to do the jerusalem tour, i did before and am so excited to be doing it again I just loved that tour xxCarol[/quote when you did jerusalem did you go on ships tour or independant we are looking forward to this trip but we would love to visit yed vashim but can only find private tours but they are too expensive unless shared by 8people.the ships tour dont seem to allow for exploring on your own like other city

trips where they drop you off and pick up 4 or 5 hours later

Archived