Passport Cards

CRUISE4JANE

Just curious as to why you didn't go for the book......

Why would you be curious. I have cards. They are passports. And everyone knows that you can't fly with them. But if you must know, I will tell you. I wanted them. For example, I could go swimming with it in my pocket and it does not get locked into a safe where it becomes useless. I also have a regular passport. They are also useful. If you carry it whereever you go, which most people do not. So all the arguments for having the book is useless if you do not carry it. The poster was happy to get it in fast, and she was sharing it with us. Way to go, to change a very positive subject to one that would start a negative thread. Please leave this subject alone.

We have been thinking of getting the passport cards or enhanced drivers licenses. Why??? Because we live in Michigan and have been thinking about doing more cruising from Boston and New York. It would be quicker for us to drive through Canada to get to these ports than it is for us to drive through Ohio. Plus we liked the trips we took into Canada before they required a passport card or enhanced drivers license and wouldn't mind planning some of them again. Of course I would hold off getting them until we either renew our drivers licenses or plan a trip that will take us through Canada.

As for the cruising itself, we have no problem sailing with just our birth certificate and drivers license... I won't get a passport book until I plan a trip that requires it. I won't get one because of some small risk that only has the slightest chance of occuring and is not insurmountable during the few brief hours I am in a foreign port on a cruise.

I have both as well, I always take my book when going out of the country, but it usually stays in the bags or safe. The card makes things so much easier.

When I went on my last cruise both me and my mother were able to breeze through check-in with our cards, while my aunt took twice as long due to issues with the book reading machine.

The card just seems easier to deal with all the way around. But once again, I would not be caught out of the country (alone) without a book as well.

Why would you be curious. I have cards. They are passports. And everyone knows that you can't fly with them. But if you must know, I will tell you. I wanted them. For example, I could go swimming with it in my pocket and it does not get locked into a safe where it becomes useless. I also have a regular passport. They are also useful. If you carry it whereever you go, which most people do not. So all the arguments for having the book is useless if you do not carry it. The poster was happy to get it in fast, and she was sharing it with us. Way to go, to change a very positive subject to one that would start a negative thread. Please leave this subject alone.

We have both for the same reasons.

If you already have a passport book, you can now apply for the passport card online.

http://travel.state.gov/passport/ppt_card/ppt_card_5648.html

From the website:

The U.S. Department of State is proud to announce it is conducting a limited pilot program allowing U.S. citizens to apply online for a U.S. passport card. To be eligible for the pilot, you must:

• Be 16 years of age or older
  • Have a valid, 10 year U.S. passport book
  • Have at least 12 months of validity remaining on your passport book before expiration
  • Have a U.S. or Canadian mailing address
  • Have an e-mail address

In addition, to assist in verifying your identity during the online application process, you will be asked to provide your social security number, your mother’s maiden name, the emergency contact name on your most recent previous passport application, and the full permanent address listed on your most recent previous passport application. Please have this information available when you apply.

I got both because even though yo uhave the passport card some islands require a passport if you knocks on a whole lot of wood- miss the ship or medical emergency in port knocking a lot more wood. You still need the book passport to fly out. The card does comes in handy.

Originally Posted by Herfnerd

Havingfun2010: Why would you be curious. I have cards. They are passports. And everyone knows that you can't fly with them. But if you must know, I will tell you. I wanted them. For example, I could go swimming with it in my pocket and it does not get locked into a safe where it becomes useless. I also have a regular passport. They are also useful. If you carry it whereever you go, which most people do not. So all the arguments for having the book is useless if you do not carry it. The poster was happy to get it in fast, and she was sharing it with us. Way to go, to change a very positive subject to one that would start a negative thread. Please leave this subject alone.

Defensive much? I found that you and the other posters explaining why you got cards and the advantages of having both very interesting and am now considering getting one. However I don't understand how the poster was turning this into a negative thread. The only negativity seemed to originate with your defensive post... IMHO.

Thank you and others for helping me understand the advantages of adding the card...

Defensive much? I found that you and the other posters explaining why you got cards and the advantages of having both very interesting and am now considering getting one. However I don't understand how the poster was turning this into a negative thread. The only negativity seemed to originate with your defensive post... IMHO.

Thank you and others for helping me understand the advantages of adding the card...

I'm with you.

The passort CARD is much easier to carry, but if money is an object, your birth certificate and dl will do the same thing the passport card will do so except for convience, there is no advantage to it for cruisers.

The advantage to a full passport is you can easily fly home from anywhere but it is a little more bulky to carry, cost a bit more and should not be gotten wet.

DH and I applied for passport cards 2 1/2 weeks ago and they just came in the mail today.:)

Wow- that was quick! I was afraid that there would be horror stories about the process taking 2-3 months due to the Passport day recently (Passport facilities being open on Saturday with no appointments needed).

So, did you get passport cards or a regular passport?

I got the passport cards.

Why would you be curious. I have cards. They are passports. And everyone knows that you can't fly with them. But if you must know, I will tell you. I wanted them. For example, I could go swimming with it in my pocket and it does not get locked into a safe where it becomes useless. I also have a regular passport. They are also useful. If you carry it whereever you go, which most people do not. So all the arguments for having the book is useless if you do not carry it. The poster was happy to get it in fast, and she was sharing it with us. Way to go, to change a very positive subject to one that would start a negative thread. Please leave this subject alone.[/quote

Good answer. Thanks.

So, did you get passport cards or a regular passport?

I got the passport cards.

Why would you be curious. I have cards. They are passports. And everyone knows that you can't fly with them. But if you must know, I will tell you. I wanted them. For example, I could go swimming with it in my pocket and it does not get locked into a safe where it becomes useless. I also have a regular passport. They are also useful. If you carry it whereever you go, which most people do not. So all the arguments for having the book is useless if you do not carry it. The poster was happy to get it in fast, and she was sharing it with us. Way to go, to change a very positive subject to one that would start a negative thread. Please leave this subject alone.[/quote

Good answer. Thanks. :)

I'm going to get us Passport cards to use for our cruises.

We have had passports since forever but use drivers license and ships ID to reboard in ports. I'd rather leave the license in the safe along with the passports and use passport cards for returning to the ship on port days.

Archived