Princess reneges on hotel reimbursement after cruise terminated early

6pack

We were booked on a 14 night BTB cruise which departed February 4th on the ill fated Crown Princess. The cruise was terminated as a result of a Norwalk outbreak. As we were booked on a BTB cruise, Princess advised us that they had booked us into Orlando for two nights while we awaited the Saturday departure. We found this unacceptable as travelling on a bus with numerous ill passengers sharing a single washroom is something we did not want to experience!! We decided to venture into the very long queue at the purser’s desk to inquire about selecting a Fort Lauderdale hotel. We asked whether Princess would allow us to select a comparable hotel in Fort Lauderdale. She explained that she would have to enquire and asked us to wait. She headed off to the back where she returned a few minutes later and indicated that this would be fine, however they could not arrange this. She cancelled our hotel room and bus transportation to ensure they were not charged and provided me a business card to Princess Customer Relations which I was to contact and forward my receipts. After returning home, I sent an email with my hotel receipt requesting reimbursement. I just received an email apologizing for the “miscommunication “ I received at the Purser’s desk, however no refund would be forthcoming! I could not believe their response so I replied to their email, only to receive another confirmation reiterating their position and wishing my wife and I “kind regards!” I cannot believe that they refused to stand behind their employee commitment; after all, my expenses would have been less than a bus trip to Orlando and two nights at the Orlando World Centre Marriott Resort and they would have retained a happy customer. Fortunately, I did purchase travel insurance and I’m hoping the out of pocket expense will be covered as a result of the cruise being terminated, however that’s not the point. I am so angry with Princess that they refused to stand behind their employee, as they are a representative of Princess.

I’m hoping that a senior Princess representative will read this post and reconsider their position.

I have definitely learned the hard way to get things in writing in situations like this.

I would be surprised if the costs you had were cheaper than the Orlando hotel and transportation as Princess was already chartering a bus (with probably 2 empty seats as you didn't go - so they didn't save any money by you not going) and I am sure they acquired the hotel at discount prices.

Regardless, sorry it didn't work out. I am hoping that insurance pays.

In the future, I would definitely get the information in writing. Unfortunately it is necessary in todays world.

Whether it was cheaper or not I would have expected Princess to provide comparable compensation. After all, I was suppose to be on the ship not incurring additional cost because they terminated the cruise. I have always sailed Princess in the past and I'm appalled at how they've treated me. :mad:

Whether it was cheaper or not I would have expected Princess to provide comparable compensation. After all, I was suppose to be on the ship not incurring additional cost because they terminated the cruise. I have always sailed Princess in the past and I'm appalled at how they've treated me. :mad:

I have no doubt you booked a reasonable hotel and were not trying to cheat the system. The only reason I brought up the cost is that you mentioned your expenses were "cheaper."

I would be upset also.

Write a letter to Alan Bewkelow, President of Princess expalining the situation.

Really sorry to hear about your situation. I hope you will get reimbursed and perhaps get something extra after going through all of this.

Wasn't Princess using the Gaylord Palms hotel? The hotel dumps unsold rooms on PL for around $70. Princess may have booked enough rooms for the B2B passengers and not only had a seat on the bus for you but might have even paid for the hotel.

How much was your hotel in Lauderdale?

Hi 6pack,

I would e mail the CEO, better than a letter in that it can be forwarded to loads of folks for a reply,

I assume you do not know the name of theperson who gave you the information onboard the ship.

yours Shogun

We were booked on a 14 night BTB cruise which departed February 4th on the ill fated Crown Princess. The cruise was terminated as a result of a Norwalk outbreak. As we were booked on a BTB cruise, Princess advised us that they had booked us into Orlando for two nights while we awaited the Saturday departure. We found this unacceptable as travelling on a bus with numerous ill passengers sharing a single washroom is something we did not want to experience!! We decided to venture into the very long queue at the purser’s desk to inquire about selecting a Fort Lauderdale hotel. We asked whether Princess would allow us to select a comparable hotel in Fort Lauderdale. She explained that she would have to enquire and asked us to wait. She headed off to the back where she returned a few minutes later and indicated that this would be fine, however they could not arrange this. She cancelled our hotel room and bus transportation to ensure they were not charged and provided me a business card to Princess Customer Relations which I was to contact and forward my receipts. After returning home, I sent an email with my hotel receipt requesting reimbursement. I just received an email apologizing for the “miscommunication “ I received at the Purser’s desk, however no refund would be forthcoming! I could not believe their response so I replied to their email, only to receive another confirmation reiterating their position and wishing my wife and I “kind regards!” I cannot believe that they refused to stand behind their employee commitment; after all, my expenses would have been less than a bus trip to Orlando and two nights at the Orlando World Centre Marriott Resort and they would have retained a happy customer. Fortunately, I did purchase travel insurance and I’m hoping the out of pocket expense will be covered as a result of the cruise being terminated, however that’s not the point. I am so angry with Princess that they refused to stand behind their employee, as they are a representative of Princess.

I’m hoping that a senior Princess representative will read this post and reconsider their position.

6Pack; Butternut1 and I were on the same cruise and we chatted several times; we too felt uneasy about the bus ride to the Orlando area and return to the ship having been told that ill crew members would be remaining onboard while the special 2 day cleaning was going on. We decided to end our cruise and return home. We notified Princess that we would not be returning and one representative onboard indicated that we might have to pay a "small penalty" for canceling. We returned home and immediately notified our travel agent of the situation. We also notified our travel insurance. We prepared and submitted a letter, by email, to Princess requesting that our fare for the full 14 days that we booked be refunded and a similar email was sent to the travel insurance firm advising that if Princess refused the refund request, we would be making a similar request from them. It took about 2 weeks before receiving a response from Princess denying our refund request and after filing the papers with the insurance company, we received a denial from them as well. Just to be clear, the incident with the Crown was not going to stop us from cruising with Princess and in fact we had already booked another 14 day cruise for this November. Once both denials were in hand we notified our travel agent of the outcome and she wasn't very pleased. Unknown to us, our travel agent prepared and sent a letter to Princess, forwarding a copy to us. We received the copy of the letter two days after it was sent. Princess apparently received the letter and decided to "treat us very well". My point to this is, if you used a travel agent for this cruise, get them involved. I have said this in other post and say it again here, we have now completed four cruises with Princess and there hasn't been a thing that we have asked for that they didn't bend over backwards to handle. I know that in a situation like this and the current situation with the Caribbean Princess, not everyone will be pleased with the outcome or decisions made by Princess or travel insurance companies but don't give up; as they say, "it ain't over till the slightly overweight lady sings". We believe that we made the right decision for us and moved on to our next adventure. We have decided now that on longer cruises, 14 days or more, we will have the "cancel for any reason" coverage on our travel insurance. Keep the faith and we hope that it works out for you and hope we can sail together again (and maybe actually make some port calls ;) ). Coffee in the Horizon Court will be on me! :eek:

6Pack; Butternut1 and I were on the same cruise and we chatted several times; we too felt uneasy about the bus ride to the Orlando area and return to the ship having been told that ill crew members would be remaining onboard while the special 2 day cleaning was going on. We decided to end our cruise and return home. We notified Princess that we would not be returning and one representative onboard indicated that we might have to pay a "small penalty" for canceling. We returned home and immediately notified our travel agent of the situation. We also notified our travel insurance. We prepared and submitted a letter, by email, to Princess requesting that our fare for the full 14 days that we booked be refunded and a similar email was sent to the travel insurance firm advising that if Princess refused the refund request, we would be making a similar request from them. It took about 2 weeks before receiving a response from Princess denying our refund request and after filing the papers with the insurance company, we received a denial from them as well. Just to be clear, the incident with the Crown was not going to stop us from cruising with Princess and in fact we had already booked another 14 day cruise for this November. Once both denials were in hand we notified our travel agent of the outcome and she wasn't very pleased. Unknown to us, our travel agent prepared and sent a letter to Princess, forwarding a copy to us. We received the copy of the letter two days after it was sent. Princess apparently received the letter and decided to "treat us very well". My point to this is, if you used a travel agent for this cruise, get them involved. I have said this in other post and say it again here, we have now completed four cruises with Princess and there hasn't been a thing that we have asked for that they didn't bend over backwards to handle. I know that in a situation like this and the current situation with the Caribbean Princess, not everyone will be pleased with the outcome or decisions made by Princess or travel insurance companies but don't give up; as they say, "it ain't over till the slightly overweight lady sings". We believe that we made the right decision for us and moved on to our next adventure. We have decided now that on longer cruises, 14 days or more, we will have the "cancel for any reason" coverage on our travel insurance. Keep the faith and we hope that it works out for you and hope we can sail together again (and maybe actually make some port calls ;) ). Coffee in the Horizon Court will be on me! :eek:

I appreciate your comments. Our travel agent did tell me if I was unsuccessful to notify her. Like you, we have always travelled Princess. In fact this was our 9th cruise and we have never travelled with another cruise line because we've always received great service. We are not asking for the moon, in fact I'm only asking for what their Customer Service Representative committed to me. From my point of view, this is the worst blunder a company can make - a broken promise! I'm still hopeful that Princess will make it right.

Hi 6pack,

I would e mail the CEO, better than a letter in that it can be forwarded to loads of folks for a reply,

I assume you do not know the name of theperson who gave you the information onboard the ship.

yours Shogun

I wish I did have her name! The only item I got in writing at the time was confirmation that they cancelled the hotel as I knew this would cause us issues in the future. I obviously didn't want them to be billed a no show at the Marriott. There was a lot going on with extremely long lines backing up beyond the stores! I didn't want to hold the line longer than necessary. In the future, everything in writing! I should have known better!

I wish I did have her name! The only item I got in writing at the time was confirmation that they cancelled the hotel as I knew this would cause us issues in the future. I obviously didn't want them to be billed a no show at the Marriott. There was a lot going on with extremely long lines backing up beyond the stores! I didn't want to hold the line longer than necessary. In the future, everything in writing! I should have known better!

Don't beat yourself up over this...I've tried to get something in writing from the purser's desk before, and all I could get was the same thing I got the day before--"Don't worry, you don't need it in writing, we'll take care of it." Well, we were getting off the next day, and seeing as how they hadn't "taken care of it" in 3 days, I was pretty sure it wouldn't get done in one more. They did take care of it, but if they hadn't, I would have had no proof, once off the ship, to pursue it further. It's easy to say, "get it in writing," but not so easy to accomplish sometimes.

Princess has refused to pay the difference in airfare for my husband and I on the 2/4/12 cruise. We live in CT and fly our of Bradley Field - Windsor Locks, CT. Princess booked us a flight into Albany, NY.....over 100 miles away from our car. We went to the Passengers Desk and we were told to cancel the Princess flight and book our own and then send for reimbursement when we got home. We did exactly that and were told they were refusing to pay. We have been going round and round with Princess. After talking to a rep for a couple of days, we asked for a supervisor and was told there wasn't one working and then we asked for their name and extension and we were told...."they don't accept calls". WHAT?????????????

We were also on the 2/4/12 cruise. Princess booked us into an airport that was a couple hours away from where we fly out of and where we had left our car. We went to the pursers desk adn were directed to the long line in front of the Conference Center by the Princess Theater where we patiently waited our turn. Once we explained the situtation, they submitted a request to the Princess head office. We had requested that we be booked on the same carrier,same direct flight that we would have been taking on the original Saturday on the Thursday instead. The next day we received confirmation of such. We couldn't be happier with the way Princess handled our request.

We were also on the 2/4/12 cruise. Princess booked us into an airport that was a couple hours away from where we fly out of and where we had left our car. We went to the pursers desk adn were directed to the long line in front of the Conference Center by the Princess Theater where we patiently waited our turn. Once we explained the situtation, they submitted a request to the Princess head office. We had requested that we be booked on the same carrier,same direct flight that we would have been taking on the original Saturday on the Thursday instead. The next day we received confirmation of such. We couldn't be happier with the way Princess handled our request.

That's the way I expected to be treated as well; nothing less nothing more.

A supervisor from Princess called us today and told us that Princess is standing firm on not reimbursing us for the difference in airfare ($322). The supervisor said that she didn't have an answer regarding how we were to get home from Albany, NY. She also said that this is coming from the President of Princess. I am so disappointed.

Archived