Flight times for San Juan, making it on time

penaddict

Looking to use miles to go on the Carnival Caribbean cruise porting out of San Juan. It leaves Sunday at 10 p.m. The flight I'm looking at arrives in SJ at 3:45 p.m. It's a connecting flight through Houston.

Do you think this will be fine? Will make it to the cruise on time?

If we don't for some reason, does travel insurance protect us from this (missing the cruise)?

• 2 weeks later...

Personally, we always fly in the day before just to avoid this kind of stress. Since you want to fly in the day of, I would get the earliest flight possible. If everything is on time, you would be fine making it to the port after you land.

As far as the insurance goes, if you already have it, you need to read what you purchased to see if it would cover it in the event you missed it.

Personally, we always fly in the day before just to avoid this kind of stress. Since you want to fly in the day of, I would get the earliest flight possible. If everything is on time, you would be fine making it to the port after you land.

As far as the insurance goes, if you already have it, you need to read what you purchased to see if it would cover it in the event you missed it.

I agree with jennmaybe. If there is a way for you to fly in a day or two early, I highly recommend doing that. If not, please try to find a direct flight that leaves in the early morning. There are too many variables with a flight that gets you to San Juan so late in the afternoon, as well as having a connecting flight. You never know what could happen. Also, no need to purchase a transfer from the cruise line if you were considering that. Taxis are plentiful at the airport, and you can get one quickly. With a transfer, you would likely have to wait for the bus to load up, which can take a while.

San Juan is a beautiful city; I would try and start the vacation off in a wonderful, relaxed frame of mind by arriving a day early to see it. Gives you a greater appreciation for the area when you sail away at night (which is gorgeous by the way). :)

Hello

I have followed and totally enjoyed your reviews as we will be sailing on the Serenade April 7th. DH and I have plans on taking a small carry on suitcase with us on the plane with a few shorts and bathing suits. Once we land in San Juan we will place a ziploc bag with all bottles containing any liquids (i.e. perfume, hair styling foam, contac solution etc) from our large suitcases into the small carry on. Will we be allowed to bring the carry on with us when we board the ship or does that also have to be given to the porters along with the larger suitcases? I'd rather be questioned on mouthwash and contac solution at the time of boarding than have to go and wait in line to collect my luggage.

Thanks for any advice as I have been reading postings from passengers that had their luggage held back and had to go down to a naughty room over toiletries and not alcohol related. We do not (and never have) tried to smuggle any alcohol on to a cruise ship and we're just trying to avoid any misunderstanding as to what is in our luggage.

Appreciate any responses,

ZENINA

Hello

I have followed and totally enjoyed your reviews as we will be sailing on the Serenade April 7th. DH and I have plans on taking a small carry on suitcase with us on the plane with a few shorts and bathing suits. Once we land in San Juan we will place a ziploc bag with all bottles containing any liquids (i.e. perfume, hair styling foam, contac solution etc) from our large suitcases into the small carry on. Will we be allowed to bring the carry on with us when we board the ship or does that also have to be given to the porters along with the larger suitcases? I'd rather be questioned on mouthwash and contac solution at the time of boarding than have to go and wait in line to collect my luggage.

Thanks for any advice as I have been reading postings from passengers that had their luggage held back and had to go down to a naughty room over toiletries and not alcohol related. We do not (and never have) tried to smuggle any alcohol on to a cruise ship and we're just trying to avoid any misunderstanding as to what is in our luggage.

Appreciate any responses,

ZENINA

Hi Zenina! I normally carry my travel-size toiletries with me onto the ship in a tote bag, and haven't had any issues. I keep them in the ziploc bag so security can see it if they want to, but honestly no one has stopped me for that. Maybe they look at full-size items?

My friend Crystal did have a bottle of mouthwash, and they took a look at that (in Fort Lauderdale). They only searched her bag in the first place is because she had a 6-pack of Mountain Dew (which she was able to take onto the ship). I think you'll be fine carrying your travel size items with you, and packing your larger ones in your checked luggage. I've always been fine doing that. Enjoy your cruise!

Thank you for your reply Host Faith I feel better and majority of my toiletries are the trial size but for a few hair styling foams, mouthwash etc I will put them in our carry on in a clear ziploc and leave nothing liquid in our luggage. Again, I have read your reviews and really enjoyed them, especially the pics of the serenade. Able to upgrade from a balcony to an aft balcony at the back of the ship with a much larger balcony. Looking forward to sailing.

Thanks again for your reply. You and your DH are darling together.

ZENINA

Thank you for your reply Host Faith I feel better and majority of my toiletries are the trial size but for a few hair styling foams, mouthwash etc I will put them in our carry on in a clear ziploc and leave nothing liquid in our luggage. Again, I have read your reviews and really enjoyed them, especially the pics of the serenade. Able to upgrade from a balcony to an aft balcony at the back of the ship with a much larger balcony. Looking forward to sailing.

Thanks again for your reply. You and your DH are darling together.

ZENINA

Thank you so much, Zenina! I'm sure you'll enjoy the Serenade, and you're so lucky to have an aft balcony. You'll have a beautiful view from there, especially leaving the islands in the evening. Just so pretty!

Enjoy your cruise! Please come back to the Royal Caribbean boards and let us know how your cruise was! :)

Blessings,

Chrystal

Looking to use miles to go on the Carnival Caribbean cruise porting out of San Juan. It leaves Sunday at 10 p.m. The flight I'm looking at arrives in SJ at 3:45 p.m. It's a connecting flight through Houston.

Do you think this will be fine? Will make it to the cruise on time?

If we don't for some reason, does travel insurance protect us from this (missing the cruise)?

I have a similar situation. I booked my cruise last minute & had trouble getting flights. I live in CT but have to fly out of Newark so can't fly day ahead as I already have to do pre-flight night at Newark airport & can't do additional extra night. I used Choice Air which guarantees you make the ship or gets you to join at the first port. They gave me a flight arriving at SJU at 4 for an 8:30 departure. They assured me it was fine because you have until 7:00 to be on board. So I'm arriving later than you & have a cruise that leaves earlier. You should be OK, especially if you use Choice Air or whatever equivalent your cruise line has. If they do your air they'll get you on the cruise guaranteed. I also have cruise transfers because of the late arrival I feel more comfortable having a cruise rep meet me at airport & get me to the port & they take over your luggage handling at that point. Good luck & enjoy your trip.

Archived