Summit and the new fun factory esp 3-5yr group

RCKM43

We were on the Summit last year - does anyone have any 1st hand information on the fun factory changes since the rehab? I understand that they moved it and made major changes to it. I am especially interested in the 3-5 yr group as I will have 2 in there. Are the children still enjoying it now that they remove the ball pit/slide (did they actually remove the ball pit?) Is it still fun for the younger children or is it now more geared to the older children?

Anyone sail recently that have full pictures of the space as well. Celebrity had 3 up but it looks like now it is basically only tables and chairs.

We were on the Summit last year - does anyone have any 1st hand information on the fun factory changes since the rehab? I understand that they moved it and made major changes to it. I am especially interested in the 3-5 yr group as I will have 2 in there. Are the children still enjoying it now that they remove the ball pit/slide (did they actually remove the ball pit?) Is it still fun for the younger children or is it now more geared to the older children?

Anyone sail recently that have full pictures of the space as well. Celebrity had 3 up but it looks like now it is basically only tables and chairs.

^^^^Yeah this^^^^^^

I can not be of any hepl right now, but promise I will post pics and comments as soon as we get of the Summit on the 14th of april. My older son really liked the fun factory on the Galaxy and I hope the one on Summit will be just as good.

I can not be of any hepl right now, but promise I will post pics and comments as soon as we get of the Summit on the 14th of april. My older son really liked the fun factory on the Galaxy and I hope the one on Summit will be just as good.

Thank you that would be really helpful! I figured I might have to wait a bit longer but didn't know if someone had traveled on one of the school breaks yet. My DD loved the fun factory last year - but some of the things she enjoyed were the ball pit/slide. She is very excited about it again and I tried to explain that the slide and ball pit were gone. She likes to draw/arts and crafts, and loved some of the activities like the making superhero costumes and parading around. But she is a very active child and I worry that the two of them might get bored if the fun factory is now all tables and chairs and quiet activities. They will be 3 and 5 when we sail. I'm surprised that they removed those items as they would be a big hit with the younger kids. I don't think she used the outdoor area though so that won't be missed.

I'm also interested in your post :D

If we don't get any responses I too will report back. Will be on the summit with my 5 1/2 year old next month.

He will likely hang with us but may want to hang out with other kids on the two sea days.

• 2 weeks later...

Just returned yesterday from a 7 day cruise on the Summit and my 6 & 8 year olds loved the Fun factory programs. We had a lot of ports so they mostly were there for an hour or so before dinner, or for a couple of hours between 8-10pm. They went to the Fun Factory about 4 days out of the cruise. They liked looking at the program each day and picking which events to go to. The staff was great, the kids seemed well-supervised. Sorry I don't have any pictures but the facility itself is nice -rooms about the size of an elementary school classroom, clean, fresh furnishings, games, Wii etc. No adults allowed in (which I like - I don't want non-staff general public wandering in and out), close attention to signing in and signing out. On our cruise, there were 400 kids (under 18) and I'm sure not all of them went through the Fun Factory, but I was very impressed that even with a large load, the program was well run and the counselors knew our kids after they attended the program for a couple of hours on the first day.

For the 6-8 year olds, the program is a mix of supervised/led activities (crafts etc.) as well as taking the kids out to other parts of the ship, such as up to the sports court or over to the buffet for a snack, or to one of the other venues for family bingo or a movie. We were a little nervous about the kids leaving the fun factory facility even under the supervision of the staff so checked on them a few times when they were out of the Fun Factory, and everything was good - kids all together, being watched closely and managed by the staff even though they were in general public areas. I don't know if the 3-5 year old group would be outside the facility or not.

We were very happy with the program and the facility.

Just returned yesterday from a 7 day cruise on the Summit and my 6 & 8 year olds loved the Fun factory programs. We had a lot of ports so they mostly were there for an hour or so before dinner, or for a couple of hours between 8-10pm. They went to the Fun Factory about 4 days out of the cruise. They liked looking at the program each day and picking which events to go to. The staff was great, the kids seemed well-supervised. Sorry I don't have any pictures but the facility itself is nice -rooms about the size of an elementary school classroom, clean, fresh furnishings, games, Wii etc. No adults allowed in (which I like - I don't want non-staff general public wandering in and out), close attention to signing in and signing out. On our cruise, there were 400 kids (under 18) and I'm sure not all of them went through the Fun Factory, but I was very impressed that even with a large load, the program was well run and the counselors knew our kids after they attended the program for a couple of hours on the first day.

For the 6-8 year olds, the program is a mix of supervised/led activities (crafts etc.) as well as taking the kids out to other parts of the ship, such as up to the sports court or over to the buffet for a snack, or to one of the other venues for family bingo or a movie. We were a little nervous about the kids leaving the fun factory facility even under the supervision of the staff so checked on them a few times when they were out of the Fun Factory, and everything was good - kids all together, being watched closely and managed by the staff even though they were in general public areas. I don't know if the 3-5 year old group would be outside the facility or not.

So it sounds like they scaled back on it considerably. They did take the 3-5 group out of the fun factory multiple times when DD was in it. Was it mostly video games and arts and crafts? Have you done the fun factory before? I'm looking for a comparison of how it is now compared to what it used to be. Since they removed the play ground, ball pit and climbing apparatus.

Anyone with a child in the 3-5 age group?

For the 6-8 year olds, the program is a mix of supervised/led activities (crafts etc.) as well as taking the kids out to other parts of the ship, such as up to the sports court or over to the buffet for a snack, or to one of the other venues for family bingo or a movie. We were a little nervous about the kids leaving the fun factory facility even under the supervision of the staff so checked on them a few times when they were out of the Fun Factory, and everything was good - kids all together, being watched closely and managed by the staff even though they were in general public areas. I don't know if the 3-5 year old group would be outside the facility or not.We were very happy with the program and the facility.

Do they remove the play ground , ball pit and climbing apparatus?

curious as to your response, if its arts and crafts I know my 5 1/2 year old will be bored. too much like school....

See this is part of our concern. My daughter went last year and loved the Fun Factory. But part of the draw (she is an active child) was having the ball pit, climbing features etc. She enjoyed the arts and crafts but liked that there was a balance. I'm trying to figure out (she has a lot of food allergies so she already can't do the pizza, cupcake etc activities) if she will want to go to the fun factory as much this time or if we will need to entertain her a lot more. I know my younger daughter will be very happy if they do a lot of arts and crafts because that is her thing.

To the poster who just returned do you happen to have the dailies for the fun factory? I'm curious if they have changed their activities.

... No adults allowed in (which I like - I don't want non-staff general public wandering in and out), close attention to signing in and signing out. ... kids all together, being watched closely and managed by the staff even though they were in general public areas ...

If this is the case, I'm very happy to hear it! It was definitely NOT the case on our Summit Bermuda cruise last year, which is a big part of the reason we're going back to Carnival this year.

There were adults wandering in and out of the Fun Factory all of the time. Around 10:00pm, there were more adults than kids in there!

We had a child, who was not ours, walk out the door with us. We noticed and told her to go back in. The staff was unaware.

In the cafe, kids were wandering around and their seating area was not separated. Kids would get up from the table and walk away to get a drink or more ice cream without telling staff. When they readied to leave, they did a head count, but no matching up.

I was uncomfortable with nearly everything about the management of the program. I'm glad things have changed.

Thank you so much for reporting back. Glad you all had a good time & enjoyed the fun factory.

We got off yesterday as well. Although we didn't bring our children, I asked permission to walk through and take pictures. I'll post them as soon as I can (probably tomorrow).

Thank you so much that would be fantastic.

This was our 1st cruise on Celebrity and on the Summit so I can't give you a comparison to pre-refurb Fun Factory. There was no ball pit, playground, or climbing area. As for the activities, they were varied - my kids like the arts & crafts stuff so that's what we heard a lot about. There was "sumo" wrestling (tie a pillow onto the front & back of the kids and they pretend to sumo wrestle) - they loved that. The kids also made puppets and put on puppet shows, did a pirate themed night, etc. They also took the kids to some events around the ship (family bingo, family movie night, one of the shows). This is for the 6-8 age group. One note: I don't have the specifics but I think that they allow the 9-11 year olds to sign themselves in and out. In case anyone would or would not be comfortable with that policy.

Archived