Just upgraded to AquaClass...a Blu/MDR question!

Wonders10

Hi everyone!

My family (6 of us, traveling to celebrate our mom's retirement) have upgraded from our 2 2B cabins to 3 AQ cabins. We are looking forward to the extra space, amenities and luxuries and really hope we made the right decision!

I know most AQ passengers want and do eat in Blu every night. While we are all really eager to try Blu a few times, we may also want to eat in the MDR most of the time. Especially since we will be traveling with kids (yes, you read correctly - a 9 and 11 yr old). They may not enjoy eating in Blu (or will the people sitting near our table perhaps. They are good kids but sometimes the mere presence of children in more adult oriented spaces annoys people, you know?) Our reservation says 6:15 dining time...is that for MDR (our original reservation) or 6:15 for Blu?

I'm trying to go back and re-read everything I've seen about AQ since I didn't pay much attention to it before, but any special tips or not to be missed things that you love about AQ?

Thanks in advance...I'm off to do more reading on AQ!

Blu is open dining, so you're quite free to dine when convenient. Upon leaving Blu each evening we tend to let the Host/Hostess know when we plan on returning the following evening so that they can plan accordingly.

As for the "mere presence" of kids, I think it's safe to say that the majority of your fellow pax will admit to having been kids at some point themselves.

The bigger question is whether our noble offspring understand that there are varying degrees of formality depending on the dining venue.

Blu leans a touch towards crisp casual but the tables tend to be very close together. That's probably a good thing because (as I'm sure you've noticed) our children tend to respect other adults more than their own parents from time to time.

Also, kids effortlessly and unconsciously respond to energy levels within a given space. Blu is calm and serene at all times whereas the MDR can really hustle and buzz. The math is easy on that one.

Close proximity to other grown ups within the Blu environment could very well bring out the best in your wonderful children, and any adult who doesn't appreciate a happy kid on their best behavior should order room service instead imho.

Happy Cruising,

Alan

Blu is open dining, so you're quite free to dine when convenient. Upon leaving Blu each evening we tend to let the Host/Hostess know when we plan on returning the following evening so that they can plan accordingly.

As for the "mere presence" of kids, I think it's safe to say that the majority of your fellow pax will admit to having been kids at some point themselves.

The bigger question is whether our noble offspring understand that there are varying degrees of formality depending on the dining venue.

Blu leans a touch towards crisp casual but the tables tend to be very close together. That's probably a good thing because (as I'm sure you've noticed) our children tend to respect other adults more than their own parents from time to time.

Also, kids effortlessly and unconsciously respond to energy levels within a given space. Blu is calm and serene at all times whereas the MDR can really hustle and buzz. The math is easy on that one.

Close proximity to other grown ups within the Blu environment could very well bring out the best in your wonderful children, and any adult who doesn't appreciate a happy kid on their best behavior should order room service instead imho.

Happy Cruising,

Alan

Very true! They aren't my kids (my niece and nephew) but their parents will be with us. My niece is an angel. My nephew is a boy. He wiggles and giggles and loves to get up at random moments during dinner and give us hugs lol. My post was a little negative because I had just got done reading past threads where there was a lot of shock and awe at the idea of having a child in AQ/Blu so I think I may have been a tad bitter in my writing...I'm also a little concerned I may not like the food. Or rather, may not like it every evening.

Question though because I seem to be getting mixed responses on this...will we need to move to select dining for the MDR? If we are assigned to Blu, why does our reservation still say 6:15 dinner time?

Just thought of another one! Can you order from the MDR in Blu?

We will wholeheartedly endorse Kruizeagain's comments.

Further, if your kids have had any experience in eating in upscale restaurants, they will understand what appropriate restaurant behavior is.

Also, I am confident that if they exhibit that appropriate behavior, they will have a fabulous time interacting with the wonderful staff in Blu.

And if, by some chance, they become uncomfortable and "misbehave", there are alternatives (including room service, Bistro on 5 and missing a meal (just kidding)).

Have a wonderful cruise!

If we are assigned to Blu, why does our reservation still say 6:15 dinner time?

One of the pitfalls of the reservation system. Even when we called Celebrity, the choice was Early, Late, or Select. Upon arrival, the card in our room said 8:15, while our friend's card said 6:15. We went shortly after 7 and encountered a short wait (time for a glass of prosseco in the Ensemble lounge). The Maitre'd said the first night people tended to arrive at the same time.

After that, he knew we'd be arriving 7-7:30, about an hour after sunset/sailaway.

You'll enjoy the extra special service in Blu. I can't wait to go back!

Last time we were in Blu there were 2 round tables for 6 or so. These are a little isolated, as there are no tables really close to them, unlike many of the smaller tables.

These would probally be ideal for you. Ignore the 6.15pm time, you can go anytime from 6pm to 9.30pm, and I am sure the children will be well looked after by the staff.

Richard

Very true! They aren't my kids (my niece and nephew) but their parents will be with us. My niece is an angel. My nephew is a boy. He wiggles and giggles and loves to get up at random moments during dinner and give us hugs lol. My post was a little negative because I had just got done reading past threads where there was a lot of shock and awe at the idea of having a child in AQ/Blu so I think I may have been a tad bitter in my writing...I'm also a little concerned I may not like the food. Or rather, may not like it every evening.

Question though because I seem to be getting mixed responses on this...will we need to move to select dining for the MDR? If we are assigned to Blu, why does our reservation still say 6:15 dinner time?

That may have been me questioning the idea of kids in Blu. I am totally fine with having kids there, I just had never seen any and I knew that AQ rooms are only bookable for 2 people, so I was just surprised--but not upset or troubled by it in any way and I apologize if it came off that way! DH and I have 18 grandkids and can't wait to start taking some of them cruising with us some day--hope you have a great trip!!

Blu is 100% open seating, so the 6:15pm time is irrelevant; just a flaw in Celebrity's system that Blu has the same dining time as the main dining room listed.

If you want to eat in the MDR some nights, you would check in with the maitre'd in the select dining area of the MDR to see if space is available (almost always there is).

Ordering MDR food from Blu is discouraged (at least on S-Class ships) as the MDR galley and Blu galley are far apart, so it really strains the staff. However Blu is really good about accommodating special requests when they receive advance notice (at least the day before). My wife and I loved dining in Blu.

While there are not many children in Blu, so long as they are well behaved there is no reason they cannot dine there.

That may have been me questioning the idea of kids in Blu. I am totally fine with having kids there, I just had never seen any and I knew that AQ rooms are only bookable for 2 people, so I was just surprised--but not upset or troubled by it in any way and I apologize if it came off that way! DH and I have 18 grandkids and can't wait to start taking some of them cruising with us some day--hope you have a great trip!!

Maybe, but I have no idea who it was...I think it was a really old thread (like, years) because I was just doing some searches. I understand that couples (with or without children) want their alone time and I do not want to infringe on that but I guess if they let us book the room with kids in it, then we have every right to all the perks. I am VERY excited about Blu for breakfast though!

Gonzo - So on nights when we do not want to eat at Blu, can we just walk up to the select dining area and get in the "no reservation" line? In other words, could we decide where we want dinner on a day by day basis? Or would we still have to switch to select dining? And if we know for sure, we will not be at Blu, let them know prior? Sorry I'm being difficult. I just don't want to be tied to a restaurant and we all happen to enjoy the MDR as well.

Thank you EVERYONE for your comments. Very helpful!

You can decide day-to-day. You will be assigned to Blu, but any day(s) you want to eat in the MDR, you just check in with the maitre'd in the select dining area. While Aqua Class guests dining there is subject to availability, in reality there is almost always availability.

I was of the impression that Aqua was adults only, likewise Blu adults only perhaps I am incorrect???

We were in Aqua last cruise...never did we see one child in Blu.

It's not adults only, but you can't book more than 2 in an AQ cabin, so if parents book their kids in a separate cabin, you get kids.

AQ is not adults only although I'd imagine kids are not common.

I am traveling with 5 family members...my mom, brother, sister in law, niece and nephew. The adults in the group are very interested in the AQ amenities. So, we split up over 3 rooms (all in a row) I have one kid, my mom has another, and bro and SIL have their own room (lucky ducks). The extra cabin space will be nice too, since we originally had 4 in a room!

Also realize that the spa itself Is adults only, but deck 11 also has other cabin categories (suites, CC) which are definitely not adult only rooms. Blu is probably the only place you would notice that there is a child in AQ.

Try to check the menus for both dining rooms early in the day. One night we went to Blu and I really wasn't in the mood for anything on the menu. This was around 6:45pm. We then went to the MDR and inquired about eating there that evening. We were on the side for people without an assigned dining time. They told us to come back at 8:15pm. We came back and were seated at 8:30pm. We were really disappointed with our dining experience in the MDR after eating in Blu all week. Just our experience. Have a wonderful cruise! We love Aqua Class.

If everybody enjoyed Blu as much as we do the price would skyrocket for AQ, so we tend to breathe a wee sigh of relief when we find out that it's not to everybody's liking...:-)

Happy Cruising,

Alan (and Teresa)

Let's convince everyone on these boards that Blu is nothing special, and that AquaClass is no big deal. That way, it will be easier for us to get our choice of staterooms. And, as Alan said, we'll keep the prices down.

Here's a slightly different perspective: we liked the menu choices in Blu, and it was a very nice setting, but we REALLY enjoy having the same tablemates each evening and making new friends--never happened in Blu even though the tables are very close together. On our next two cruises, we avoided AQ on purpose since there's no point in paying more if we weren't going to eat in Blu. So your 'secret' is safe with us.

Here's a slightly different perspective: we liked the menu choices in Blu, and it was a very nice setting, but we REALLY enjoy having the same tablemates each evening and making new friends--never happened in Blu even though the tables are very close together. On our next two cruises, we avoided AQ on purpose since there's no point in paying more if we weren't going to eat in Blu. So your 'secret' is safe with us.

I thoroughly enjoy the same table mate night after night--my husband! He's the only one I've sat across the table with in 20+ years, and he's the only one I want to see!

:-)

Just spoke to Celebrity, if you want to have a choice between Blu and MDR leave your dining reservations set to either early or late seating, do not choose select dining. Select dining seats you in MDR where as a time dining seats you in Blu. If you then want to eat in MDR go whenever you want and you will be seated. It is completely opposite of how it should seem to be. Enjoy you cruise.

I don't know if your niece and nephew are picky eaters at all, but if they are, I recommend you speak to the matre'd early. They can arrange to have non-standard food if you order ahead of time. They have the menus the day before. For passengers who have food allergies, they usually require the passenger to order ahead of time and prepare their dinner in a separate kitchen. They can probably do the same for the kids.

Also, the MDR does have a children's menu, it just isn't used a lot. From what I understand, it has chicken nuggets on it.

Archived