Windsor castle

Deer230

It's not possible to go by boat from London to Windsor - well it is - but it would take far too long. Most tourist boats don't go further upstream than Kew Gardens, although some will go to Hampton Court.

After Hampton Court the river is no longer tidal. It can take an hour or more to get through Teddington Lock and there are eight more to go before you reach Windsor.

It's a shame because it would make a great trip.

You can take the train, it is very easy. You can go from Westminster tube to Waterloo station to Windsor station. It is a very short walk from Windsor station.

In fact its only a short walk from Westminster Bridge to Waterloo station.:)

Hourly service direct to Windsor, though its a slow train, takes nearly an hour. About £10 cheap day-return.

Beware, Windsor has two rail stations - Windsor & Eton Riverside for trains to Waterloo, Windsor & Eton Central for trains to Paddington (faster & more frequent, but involves a change of trains & less convenient from Westminster Bridge)

Both of Windsor's stations are convenient for the town centre/castle, but Central is the best known so beware if asking for directions "to the station"

http://ojp.nationalrail.co.uk/service/planjourney/search

JB :)

In fact its only a short walk from Westminster Bridge to Waterloo station.:)

Hourly service direct to Windsor, though its a slow train, takes nearly an hour. About £10 cheap day-return.

Beware, Windsor has two rail stations - Windsor & Eton Riverside for trains to Waterloo, Windsor & Eton Central for trains to Paddington (faster & more frequent, but involves a change of trains & less convenient from Westminster Bridge)

Both of Windsor's stations are convenient for the town centre/castle, but Central is the best known so beware if asking for directions "to the station"

We will be staying at a hotel near the Waterloo station, although I have a question about travel to Windsor. At the Waterloo tube station, do we take the tube, or is there a different train service that gets us to Windsor? Any other suggestions for getting to Windsor? How about Bath?

We will be staying at a hotel near the Waterloo station, although I have a question about travel to Windsor. At the Waterloo tube station, do we take the tube, or is there a different train service that gets us to Windsor? Any other suggestions for getting to Windsor? How about Bath?

Waterloo is a mainline rail station, serving much of southwest England. The station for the tube (London's underground system) is attached to it.

It's the rail station that you want for Windsor.

Bath by train is from Paddington rail station (north of Hyde Park). Without luggage (for instance if you want a cheap day-return, London-Bath-London), Paddington is easy enough for you to reach by tube. Like all central London's rail stations, Paddington has a tube station attached.

With luggage you might find it easier to get to Paddington station by cab.

As my earlier post, if its more convenient folk can also catch a train from Paddington to Windsor - though it arrives at a different but equally-convenient rail station in Windsor.

From central London I rate the train as best for both Windsor & Bath.

trains

tube

http://www.tfl.gov.uk/gettingaround/14091.aspx

Thanks! We'll be staying pre-cruise near Waterloo, so it looks like it will be easy to catch the train to Windsor from there. I wasn't sure if Bath was something that we could combine on the same trip or not. I'm thinking that we'll head straight to Windsor after we get to our hotel from the airport and drop off our stuff. We'll be tired, but I do like to stay up on our first day and hit the ground running! Luckily, we have all the next day in London, too, before we board the ship the following day.

Archived