Norwegian Sky SF Penthouse for Family of 5?

arby342

Friends of ours are sailing on an NCL 4-day Bahamas cruise in the fall. We would love to join them, but we have to accommodate our family of 5. This would be the first cruise for all of us, as I've never been able to break through the "family of 5 barrier".

NCL offers a "Penthouse with Large Balcony", class SF (SF = Suite Forward, I assume), on the Norwegian Sky when you ask for a cabin for 5. It lists the square footage at ~560, but I am now convinced that quote includes the floorspace of the balcony.

It describes a "bedroom with queen bed, living area, dining area, and additional bedding to sleep three additional guests." But when you have a look at the floorplan, it appears to be a regular old room: the "areas" are imaginary - no dividers. There is a couch, which I assume pulls out. So by my tally, that provides sleeping space for 4 rather friendly people (a category that does not necessarily include teenage sisters). Where does the fifth go? Strapped to a chair on the balcony?

Has anyone ever successfully squeezed five into this cabin? My wife and I have three daughters: 17, 15, and 11. I have severe doubts that I would survive a trip with my psyche intact in this cabin! But it is cheaper than two cabins, and I'm stretching it just to pay for airfare for 5...

It would be pretty tight and someone would have to sleep on the floor. The bedroom is divided by the living room. Both rooms are big sizes but the pull out sleeper would not fit more than 2. The bed is big and unless you squeeze 3 in the bed, someone would have to sleep on the floor.

Yes the balcony is huge. 5 in the suite is not so bad since there would be lots of room to eat and move around. But sleeping is another issue. I just dont think it would work. Best bet is to get an inside cabin for the kids.

It looks like there is a glitch in the NCL website as all of the suites show the same floorplan for all of the suites on the Sky. While I have not been on her in 9 years, we stayed in one of the aft penthouses - it had two rooms - a living room and a bedroom (as well as a bathroom). It was huge for the two of us and could easily sleep 5 people. These suites were on decks 8,9,and 10 aft - there were also similar rooms forward. However the Sky has been revamped twice since then. I hope the website returns with correct plans.

I went to the deck plans area for the Sky and took a look at 0264 - the room we stayed in for our AK cruise 10 yrs ago. If you use the magnifier you will see that there is a line through the cabin area - the area to the right of that line is the living room with a sofa, table and chairs - and easily enough room for three people - with a rollaway bed. The area to the left of the line is an entry hall, bedroom and bathroom - the bedroom is just off the balcony and ends about where the gap (door) in the line is.

These are all SE catgory and are on decks 8,9,and 10. I am not sure about the SF catagory But I think the SE or the owners suites would work the best.

My sister and her husband, with their 3 children, sailed in an SF on the Sky recently. She was told there were curtains that could be drawn around the "main bed," but this was not so. Their daughter slept on the sofa bed. Their 2 sons had a "separate area" with a bunk bed. The first night, as my nephew started to ascend the ladder to the upper bunk, it was clear the bolts were loose and it was unstable. They called the concierge, who called maintenance, and then they waited in their pj's for a long time until someone came to tighten the bolts to stabilize the ladder.

The protective railing on the upper bunk was not long and very low. My sister was woried about it, but was reassured "no one has ever fallen out of bed on the Sky." There was some pitching that night and my nephew did fall out and landed on the floor and then they took him to the infirmary. 2 weeks after arriving home, he had still not been cleared by our family doctor and his coach to resume football training. No bones broken, but very bad bruising and pulled muscles.

If you opt for this suite, I would suggest you put two children on the sofa bed if possible and one in the lower bunk, avoiding the upper bunk altogether, in case of rough seas at night.

My sister says she would sail NCL (and the Sky) again if the itinerary and price were right, but next time she would choose two balcony cabins. She doesn't feel the suite was worth it (especially on the port intensive Bahama run) with the less than perfect sleeping accomodations.

Hope you can work out the best arrangements for you and your family and have a great cruise.

Kate

Archived