Way OT - any folks from the Grand Canyon area

SF -

Wondering if early April is a good time to visit the canyon. We have a 7 year old and I'm thinking of making our spring break trip next year to the Canyon.

Are there good sights between the canyon and Vegas? I can get pretty good airfares from ATL to Vegas or pay a fortune to fly into Flagstaff.

Any tips or advice is appreciated.

Thanks,

adonisr -

There are quite a few of us from the Grand Canyon State on this site. I would be happy to try to answer any questions for you. There really isn't anything to see from Vegas to the Canyon except the change in elevation. From desert to the high country. But it is beautiful.

You could also fly into Phoenix and drive north. Beautiful scenery along the way as you travel from desert to the high country. You could stop on the way in Sedona which has stunning red rock formations.

Let me know how I can help.

The weather in April is usually in the 60's during the day and around 30 at night. Cold to us locals but that may be warm for someone from the mid-west!

There is also a great train trip you can take. If you are driving up from Phoenix or from Vegas. It leaves from Williams and they offer two and three day packages.

http://www.thetrain.com

We did the Grand Canyon trip over spring break a few years ago. We flew into Vegas, stayed a few nights, then drove to Page, AZ (sister lived there then), then down to Grand Canyon, then down to Sedona and back to Vegas. We had the gammut of weather - from hot in Vegas to nice in Page & Grand Canyon to rain, then snowing on our way back to Vegas. You really can't tell with the weather that time of year. If you want to stay at one of the Grand Canyon hotels, you better book now for next summer - they go quickly.

I've never flown in to Vegas, so I can't help much with that. If the nearest edge is the northern rim though, it might not even be open in early April. I have always flown into Phoenix. You could even stay in Sedona and go to the GC for days. We were there over spring break a few years ago. While Sedona was pleasant, it was snowing at the GC South Rim...very cold! We had only gone for the day from Sedona. We looked mainly from the car!

If you do stay at the GC, I recommend El Tovar, the historic lodge on the rim. While not fancy by Ritz-Carlton standards, it is the nicest of the national park facilities. The view and the food made up for less than plush (but adequate!) rooms. The lobby is great and even if you don't stay there, make sure to go in to see the lobby and eat there if you can.

Sedona is a neat place and seems to escape the heat of Phoenix and the cold of the GC.

There is so much to see in AZ. We plan to retire to the Scottsdale area(although we have a LONG time to go before that!) My kids love Phoenix and loved the GC. We got to see the Condors and lots of wildlife. I was expecting July to be hot hot hot and we were surprised how comfortable it was. It got down right chilly at night though....low 40's! My advice on April is to plan for warm, and to plan for cold, and some of everything in between!

Archived