London Hotels near Paddington Station

We have just booked the Celebrity Infinity British Isles cruise on June 3, 2013. We would be interested in visiting London prior to the cruise. Upon investigation, we found that the Heathrow Express goes to Paddington Station. Therefore, we have been looking at some hotels in that area. Is it a nice area? Is it easy to get to other parts of London, e.g., Buckingham Palace, Trafalgar Square, theatre district, etc.

Thanks for your help.

Janice

I originally looked into staying near Paddington Station because we're taking the Heathrow Express back to Heathrow after spending 2 days in London post-cruise. It seems like a nice area, but I had a few folks on here tell me that it would be a longer Tube ride to all the sights and they suggested staying farther south. I'm sure quite few will chime in below me with some good ideas. :o

I suggest that you do a search on the Tripdvisor London Forum site. Just enter "hotels near Paddington station" and you'll get lots of hotel suggestions. Some suggested hotels are the Novotel Paddington (fairly new), Darlington Hyde Park, Hilton Metropole, Commodore Hotel, Indigo Hotel.

I'm not familiar with the area, as we've only travelled on the tube to Paddington to catch a train. To reach central London where most of the attractions are located, it will take two tube rides. OK, but not too convenient.

Trust this helps.

In June 2010 we stayed at the Quality Crown Hotel Hyde Park. It was 354 GBP for three nights ($542 then). Breakfast was included. It was about 3 blocks from Paddington station so we were able to walk there from the station. Our hotel was very nice looking from the outside and the lobby was also nice. It is an old hotel but elegant. Our room was on the fifth floor and TINY. We didn't spend much time there anyway and when we got in each night we were so exhausted that we fell into our beds and were out for the night. It was very convenient and there were several restaurants just around the corner. We ate at a little Italian place two nights that was good and inexpensive.

I have often stayed in Paddington when visiting London. I like the area a lot. I would describe it as 'shabby chic' - slightly worn, but nice and safe. I personally find it quite convenient to what I want to see in London.

There are lots of tourist hotels in the area of varying quality, plus a few chains are represented. There's a nicely renovated Hilton at Paddington Station proper, and a Mercure down a block on Praed Street, plus an Indigo down a couple of blocks from the station. Last time I was there, we stayed in a nice 1-bedroom flat about a 5-10 minute walk from Paddington.

A second fan of the Hilton Paddington Station. Sits right on top of the station so it's 5 minutes walk from the Airport train.

It also sits right on top of the tube station so it's a quick walk. N fact ifs it's raining you never need to get wet.

Paddington station has a few eating places and a small supermarket and there's plenty to eat in the streets around.

I always found Paddington to be in a good location. Those that complain you' have to sit on the tube longer'. Hmmmmm. Folks, the attractions of London do not sit in a small 500 metre strip. WHEREEVER you stay you will need to get the tube for longer than 10 minutes most days...

Archived