Sort of off topic/ France

ClaudiaF

Not exactly, but last year we took Med cruise and were able to spend almost whole day in Avignon. We did it on our own taking the TGV (Tres Grande Vitesse trans Very Fast Train) from Marseille to Avignon train travel time approx 1 hour each way. Check SNCF (French Railways) for timetable. If only North American trains were as fast and as comfortable! sigh

BTW, Avignon is very "walkable" and we were able to "do the city" very thoroughly in the time we were there. It takes approx 4 to 5 hours to do the Pope's Palace from top to bottom - DON"T hire a guide. They have self guided

recorders (multi lingual) which describe EVERYTHING in as much or as little detail as you would ever want.

Yes, the hotel is within the "walls." We were able to walk to the Palace of the Popes. As was mentioned, you do not need a guide for the Palace as the audio was excellent.

There are also restaurants and shops within walking distaince of the hotel. Reserved parking spaces along the side of the hotel make it very convenient if you have a car.

The decor of each room is different. If you do decide to stay at the Hotel d'Europa you can ask to see the rooms available at check-in.

Were you visiting any other towns near Avignon?

Yes, the hotel is within the "walls." We were able to walk to the Palace of the Popes. As was mentioned, you do not need a guide for the Palace as the audio was excellent.

There are also restaurants and shops within walking distaince of the hotel. Reserved parking spaces along the side of the hotel make it very convenient if you have a car.

The decor of each room is different. If you do decide to stay at the Hotel d'Europa you can ask to see the rooms available at check-in.

Were you visiting any other towns near Avignon?

We are contemplating chartering a barge cruise on a fabulous barge we took a few years ago ..starts Avignon..

We will take in places we have missed from Med cruises esp.Arles Sete, and abunch of little villages I wouldn't try to pronounce. But,

trying to decide though where we should go after the barge cruise..

any ideas of wonderful places ..

Alot of people like the hotel you mentioned...Have you heard, seen the hotel La Mirande ( Avignon)? This has also been recommended... and curious which is located closer "in" sort of speak?

Claudia

I'm sorry but I do not recall seeing Hotel LaMirande. As far as which hotel is closer "in" I don't know the answer. The Hotel d'Europe was near the wall but only a few blocks away from the center of town where there was a stage with live entertainment. As I recall, the outdoor auditorium for the jazz festival was a few blocks farther. However, it was an easy walk to everything.

Going down the river on a barge sounds very relaxing. Before arriving in Avignon we stayed in the outskirts of Amboise (very peaceful and beautiful area) while visiting the chateaus. While in Avignon we drove the Route de la Lavande (lavender), visited Orange, Arles and Sault. All were easy drives.

We also visited the vineyard of Chateauneuf du Pape.

After Avignon we drove to Aix en Provence. Stayed at the Hotel Le Pigonnet. It's a bit of a walk from the center of town but also a short drive. The restaurant was excellent. I always remember where we have wonderful meals.

We thoroughly enjoyed the countryside. Although we love cruising, there is never enough time to get to all the small towns near the port unless you want to rush.

If you have any other questions, please let me know.

Have visited all the places you mentioned on previous trips w/ exception of Avignon and Arles.

We took this same barge about 4 years ago thru the Burgundy region and it was absolutely amazing.. besides the beauty of the country.. the great food and the grape juice ;-) the barge was fabulous.. a crew of 5 for only 4 of us ( it has 3 staterooms) .. and is absolutely 5 stars.

Nothing like being pampered to death and floating down the canals in luxury..

Archived