La!! Please help me!!

Kverlinger

Ok here is what i'm thinking...fly into one of the 3 airports in La 2 days prior, get a hotel in Hollywood and do some exploring before our cruise (which leaves out of Long Beach). How do I go about getting around without paying taxi fares or renting a car?! I'm been trying to do research but i've never been on a metro, bus, subway...nothing. I'm a small town girl hoping not to get lost!!!! HELP! =)

Hate to disappoint you, but there really is not a lot to see in Hollywood, and much of the that part of town is pretty seedy. Read some of the other posts on this forum about staying in Santa Monica and taking a tour from there if you must 'see Hollywood'.

Renting a car is a good option, as public transportation is not very good in LA, and due to long distances and traffic, taxis can be prohibitively expensive.

It would help to determine what you really want/need to see before you make any definite plans for lodging and transportation. Post that here, and we can help you figure out how to do it.

LA is geographically huge...and has a zillion things to do and see. Best bet is to browse LA tourism websites, or Tripadvisor. Decide what you do (and don't) want to do, and narrow it down from there.

Most tourism either centers around the area including Santa Monica, Venice, Hollywood, Universal Studios, or the Disneyland / Orange County area. Either LAX or BUR is the best airport for the first area while SNA or LGB are close to the second. From your area, Alaska and Southwest are the best bets; you can fly to one airport and return from another to save ground travel or get a better fare.

Although transit is improving, LA is the world's first city that grew around the automobile. You will be at a serious disadvantage without a car; don't believe the movies and media about LA traffic. If you avoid rush hour the freeway system is pretty easy to navigate and the signage is excellent.

Hope this helps.

Ok here is what i'm thinking...fly into one of the 3 airports in La 2 days prior, get a hotel in Hollywood and do some exploring before our cruise (which leaves out of Long Beach). How do I go about getting around without paying taxi fares or renting a car?! I'm been trying to do research but i've never been on a metro, bus, subway...nothing. I'm a small town girl hoping not to get lost!!!! HELP! =)

First, there are FIVE airports that serve the greater LA area: LAX, Long Beach, Burbank, John Wayne and Ontario...

Largest selection of flights, by far, are into LAX...the other four are really more regional airports...John Wayne is down in Orange County--good if you are visiting Disneyland or Newport Beach, Laguna Beach, etc....Burbank is north of LA--very close to Hollywood, Universal City, etc...Long Beach Airport is in Long Beach-- a little closer to the cruise port for those just going directly to and from a cruise and wanting to avoid the hassle of a major airport...Ontario is convenient for almost no one except those who live out in that area...

Hollywood is a bit "urban"...a little seedy...and might be a bit intimidating to a "small town girl"...Of course, it works logistically for those wanting to devote all of their time to the Hollywood attractions--though it is more pleasant to stay up around Universal...

Santa Monica is a great location--even without a car...there is a lot to see and do in the immediate vicinity (Third Street Promenade, Santa Monica Pier, Venice Beach Boardwalk, Beach, etc.) ...and it's a "nice" part of town--upscale, a little quieter than the Hollywood area. You can get a HOHO bus ticket and pick up the bus in Santa Monica and tour all day, all over LA--into Hollywood and everywhere...and at night, you come back to Santa Monica and relax , stroll the Third Street Promenade, etc.

To get from an airport to any of these areas and to get from the hotel to the port, best to use one of the shuttle services...

Hope this helps...

I would definitely take the advice of the two previous posts. LA is very widespread. The so called rapid transist system is basically for locals who don't have their own cars (consider that most people who are without their car because it's in the shop will rent a car or borrow a ride from a good friend, rather than use the bus, or were like my dear departed MIL who despite her age, was one kick ass woman...and knew LA very well from living here for some sixty years).

One problem with LA is that there are some nice areas that are very close to dicey ones. If you try to take the bus, but get off a few stops in the wrong direction, you may regret it.

We want our visitors to have a good, safe time exploring our city so please take our advice. One place to start is to read Bruin Steve's posts about hotels.

Largest selection of flights, by far, are into LAX...the other four are really more regional airports...John Wayne is down in Orange County--good if you are visiting Disneyland or Newport Beach, Laguna Beach, etc.

Great post and generally agree. For OP who will fly from GEG (Spokane), all 5 airports have flights to/from the Pacific Northwest. Alaska Airlines goes to all 5, and Southwest to all but LGB.

John Wayne (SNA) is hardly a "regional" airport. Nonstop routes include HNL, EWR, IAH, DFW, MSP, ORD/MDW, ATL, YVR and in a few months Cabo and Mexico City. Also regional destinations like DEN, LAS, SFO, etc. as you mention.

Its very simple, fly into Bob Hope Airport in Burbank (BUR) and get a shuttle to your Hollywood hotel. Anything in the vicinity of Hollywood and Highland is fine. The top end hotels are the Renaissance and Roosevelt, more moderate are the Orchid Suites, Magic Castle Suites, Holiday Inn Express and the Hilton Garden Inn. That area of town is fine and has sights like Grauman's Chinese Theater, the Walk of Fame, Kodak Theater where the Academy Awards are held and a few more sights.

To get around you can use the subway that is right there, the Hop On Hop Off bus ( http://www.starlinetours.com/los-angeles-tour-HOHO.asp ) that will get you as far as Santa Monica and includes areas like Beverly Hills, the Original Farmers Market, La Brea Tar Pits and more.

If you've never been on a subway or metro bus...... time to start.

Archived