What is the best way to book a cruise?

nosam

I want to take the family on a cruise in Feb 2006 (yes, during school vacation time!). What is the best way to actually book the cruise, on the internet or with an local travel agent? Is there a big difference in costs?

We're doing the same thing, for a cruise next spring break. So far, best price, oddly enough, has been by calling Royal Caribbean directly.

At any rate, it's the same price as both a travel agent and icruise.

i should add ... this is for the lowest-priced berths ... you might be able to get better prices on suites if you shop around ....

Staterooms don't. Suites do with a sofa bed. There are family suites and family staterooms specifically for larger groups. If you can book in the next few days you can find discounts. As of May 1 Royal Caribbean will prohib any travel agent from offering an discount in the form of a gift card or other premium such as travel insurance or shore excursions.

There is no price difference between travel agent and online, and a travel agent can do all the work for you. Carnival and RCI both have policies that all pricing will be the same no matter how you book. An agent can give you answers to your questions, offer advice and offer personal help. There's nothing like speaking to someone in person. I am a travel agent and love to talk cruises!

This is actually a very timely question, because as of May 1, RCI is prohibiting ANY rebating of ANY kind by travel agencies (some of the bigger agencies - mostly online - currently will rebate a part of their commission in the form of a "gift card". After that date, the rates you will be quoted must be the same for all travel agencies and RCI direct prices, no more back end loaded incentives. If RCI finds an agency in violation of this policy, it is my understanding that RCI will impose a pretty stiff penalty.

If you want to shop around prior to that date, you will still be able to find different agencies offering these incentives. Unless the agencies find another way around this, as of May 1 the price you are quoted will be the same at the Mom and Pop agency around the corner, the biggest online agency in the world, as well as directly from RCI.

RCI has stated they want to level tha playing field, I personally think they want to capture more business directly, thus eliminating substantial commissions.

I am completely dissapointed with RCCL's new pricing policy. My usual travel agent that normally offers $100 on board credits and a bottle of wine ...isnt. Then I realized its across the board.

I am shopping around from RCCL for a cruise in Jan 06 and there are no up front deals. This is Ca-ca!

I am even trying to do a group cruise and get a discount like i have before and RCCL doesnt even discount for groups...they just give out things like free photos.

It figures....husband and i just completed our 5th cruise and now want to take 6th cruise as a Platinum Crown and Anchor Member but prices are wayyyy out of this world with no perks.

Ho-hum

If you book through AAA during the month of May, you only have to put down a $5 deposit. I went in yesterday to AAA to ask about it, and apparently they put down the balance of the deposit for you directly to the cruise line, then you have until August to pay the rest of the deposit. They also have cabin credits and upgrades for various cruises. She also told me that they would be repeating this deal again in September, and then you will have until March to pay the rest of the deposit.

I would recommend against booking with RCCI directly. I had a bad experience booking through their customer service line for my last cruise (didn't get completely straightened out until the day before my cruise and I have to fly in to the ports). Would recommend going through a TA, or searching through CC for a good internet site that people recommend.

There is no price difference between travel agent and online,

This is not true. I always check online for my best deal, then go to my local travel agent to see if she can match or do better. On my upcoming cruise, I got an inside for $347....my TA could not touch it and suggested I take the online deal. Some online companies buy bulk and can offer a better deal...despite what you may hear. I have used cruisedeals.com and they have given me the best deal for the past 2 cruises. I do wait for their email notifications when they clue me on their hot deals. Works great for me!! :D

I agree with the last poster. My TA's agency does volume business with Carnival and Royal Caribbean, and we get great prices still from her. What she will do is get a better category cabin for us for the same price as a lower category.

Different agencies will get blocks of cabins to sell by a certain date for a certain price.

The best way, in my opinion, to shop for a cruise is to pick the one you want from any online agency, and then shop around or go to your TA for their price.

I have heard though that RCI is doing away with Key Accounts and Group pricing incentives--that means that the price differences mentioned Princess-of-Quite-alot and pcur won't be available anymore either. It won't matter if an agent sells one RCI cruise or 10,000--all prices will be the same. Period.

(I could be wrong, but that's what I read.)

Certainly, RCI can set price requirements for their product anyway they want. I think though that it is short-sighted and likely to come around and bite them in the backside.

beachchick

If you are interested in better pricing find a group and get group pricing. There are several going that are on the board here. If that will not work then go thru RCI. I too am not thrilled with the new pricing policy.

I think it depends on how much experience you have with cruises and...how much time you feel like spending on doing the research. I would shop around a bit to try and find an agent that will price it well for you. However, I've found the ones that price it lowest are the ones that don't do much 'trip planning, trip advising' but are sort of barebones. (who knows how that will change as of May 1 though). If you want a bit more attention, someone to answer a lot of questions, help you plan where to go, when to go, what room category, etc I'd go with a cruise specific travel agency. I personally don't think it matters if it's a bricks and mortar agency or an internet agency...as long as you find one that gives good service.

Perhaps there is an internet travel agent in your hometown. Many agents have a local address and internet address for their travel agency. I prefer doing my bookings online because it eliminates phone calls at work. There is no additional cost to you for using a travel agent. If you book directly with the cruiseline, they simply keep the commission for themselves. I'd rather have my agent to call or email with all my questions. I haven't had much luck dealing with the cruiseline directly. I seem to get the run around alot. Just my opinion.

I want to take the family on a cruise in Feb 2006 (yes, during school vacation time!). What is the best way to actually book the cruise, on the internet or with an local travel agent? Is there a big difference in costs?

Archived